Very Slow Wifi

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed very slow WiFi post the 5.1 update? I have done several speed tests and am getting under 1 mbps. My laptop and desktop both on the same wireless connection are pulling over 8 mbps.

Thanks!!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried:

1. Forgetting the connection and reconnecting?

2. Setting the router for no security (open - no password), forgetting the connection and reconnecting.

Those things will help localize what the problem is. It may be a bad update, 5.1 may have a bug or it may be another case of "TKIP and TKIP aren't the same" that we got with 4.4.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I've tried #1. My connection is open as well (I live in a very rural area so no one is bumming connection off of me).

I've also noticed that sometimes it won't connect and you have to forget and reconnect to force it. Even turning WiFi off and back on doesn't resolve that issue.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, exact same problem here. My WiFi is extremely slow. Laptops and other devices seem fine. I've reset my router, modem, etc. I even hooked up and configured a different router last night and experienced the same results. Interestingly, this only seems to happen when connecting to a 2.4 ghz network. 5 ghz from the same router was extremely fast. Perhaps I should upgrade to a simultaneous dual band router. Mine is kinda old and will only do one or the other. I need to leave it on 2.4 since Chromecast doesn't support 5ghz.

I'm also having Bluetooth issues the last week or two, but I don't want to hijack your thread. I'll start a new one about that.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I just can't make sense of this. WiFi everywhere else is fine but at my house, even next to the router. No other devices have an issue. I've tried 2 separate routers, various settings and it still is unbelievably slow.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Not holding my breath but I believe a factory reset did the trick. I hate having to back up and restore but it was necessary to try to fix this issue.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Hoping I don't jinx it but my problem is solved. The factory reset did indeed do the trick. Speeds are where they should be an no longer dropping signal when sitting feet from the router (overall strength is even better across the board).

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie