Battery Questions

Flow39

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a 2014 Moto X that I purchased in February, and I only used it for 2 weeks as a daily driver after I bought it. I switched back to my iPhone because the battery was draining very fast. I could only get about 3 hours of screen on time if I was lucky, and this is with screen brightness at 50%, NFC off, and a stable WiFi/Cell connection. It would also drain about 2-3% per hour on standby.

I have recently picked it up and started considering it as a daily driver again. I've carried it alongside my iPhone, just without a SIM card installed. The battery life had improved slightly on Android 5.1 for me, but even with Airplane Mode on, Bluetooth off, NFC off, and a searching WiFi connection while I'm driving, it drained 14% in 3 hours.

Is there any way to fix the battery draining so fast when not connected to a WiFi network? I have tried wiping the cache partition, rebooting, Greenify, keeping Airplane Mode on, and everything else just shy of a factory reset. I really want to use this phone as a daily driver again, but I need to fix these problems with the battery before I start using it again. Anyone else having similar issues with battery life or tips on how to fix this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It would help to see some battery stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

Flow39

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying this right now, and I'll post the screenshots later once the battery gets drained down enough. It is actually looking to get about 3.5 hours of SoT today, which is more than I've ever got. Thanks for the help, I'll get those screenshots up as soon as possible. :)

Posted from my 2014 Moto X Pure Edition

Flow39

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
It would help to see some battery stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

Here they are. Not bad at all, but it usually is worse.

Attachments

• 1441991486121.jpg
    1441991486121.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 1441991510241.jpg
    1441991510241.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 1441991522522.jpg
    1441991522522.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 41

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But that's also on Airplane Mode the whole time. If you turned it off and wanted to use the cell radio, I would imagine the battery life would decrease, at least a bit.

Do you have Location Reporting turned on? Try turning that off, unless it's important to you. Location Reporting is used by Google Now to give you somewhat more accurate information, as well as to figure out your commute. Some other apps, like Google Fit, also use it. See some other tips here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-s/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html

ChiefJaguar

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I put my phone on the charger last night and it was at 96% at 10pm. Woke up at 2am with the baby and while unplugging the phone, it was very hot to the touch and read 60% charge. The usage meter said the display was the biggest battery user at 18%, but the screen was off during the charging!? Anyone else seen this or have a fix? First time its ever done this.