Are you still sticking with your 2014 Moto X?

Are you sticking with your 2014 Moto X?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I was planning on it but now that it looks like we aren't getting marshmallow..... The nexus 5 is tempting me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Was going to happily keep my VZW Moto X '14 for at least another year but now it appears this less than a year old, still under warranty phone will no longer get Android updates. If so, I'm done with Lenovo/Motorola. I will not buy another carrier branded/dependent phone. OTOH, I'm wary (paranoid?) of how VZW will treat non-branded devices long term. Not thrilled with the how the back looks on new Nexus 5. Not willing to switch to Apple/iOS.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Can't hurt to tweet your disappointment to @motorola & @MotorolaSupport. Maybe with enough feedback, Lenovo will change their minds.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

stevedo

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Sticking with mine. Battery is noticeably down but that goes with the territory after so much heavy usage. Bought direct from Motorola so having Marshmallow to look forward to is a bonus.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I decided not to upgrade, I like the size of the 2014 Model and wouldn't want to go any larger. Also, now that we've found out Motorola won't be updating the VZW or ATT versions of the 2014 Moto X, I've decided I just can't buy another Moto phone. I know VZW puts up a lot of red tape regarding updates, but Moto went the carrier route and put out a phone, now they need to provide support. I even bought my phone directly from Motorola, it's just a VZW branded device. In the future I'm sticking with Nexus or maybe even Apple.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Folks are saying it's not Motorola's decision but the carriers themselves.

I'm sure VZW & ATT have a lot to do with it, and even though my phone says "Verizon" on the back, I bought it direct from Motorola, and their website pretty much promises that the phone would be updated.

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 09.19.09.jpg

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm sticking with my 2014 Moto X Pure Edition. The new one is to big and isn't that much faster than the old one. https://youtu.be/c3Cjs1ANtWo

But this comparison isn't really accurate since that they are comparing a 2014 Moto X to a Moto X Play, not a Moto X Pure/Style. I actually got to play with a display model Moto X Pure at my local Best Buy and it is noticeably faster and smoother than my 2014 Moto X, and the Camera is way better. That pretty much sealed the deal for me. I still really wish they had stuck with an AMOLED screen, and a fingerprint scanner would have been nice to have too, but at the end of the day neither are going to be deal breakers for me.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
But this comparison isn't really accurate since that they are comparing a 2014 Moto X to a Moto X Play, not a Moto X Pure/Style. I actually got to play with a display model Moto X Pure at my local Best Buy and it is noticeably faster and smoother than my 2014 Moto X, and the Camera is way better. That pretty much sealed the deal for me. I still really wish they had stuck with an AMOLED screen, and a fingerprint scanner would have been nice to have too, but at the end of the day neither are going to be deal breakers for me.

I adored my 2014 Moto X but that camera - ugh. I got the 2015 Pure and just love it. I missed the Amoled display at first but the LCD has really grown on me. Another perk is the SD slot. I'm still keeping my 2014 Moto X for when I need a smaller phone but I'm bummed it's not getting Marshmallow since it's an AT&T and not a Pure. I can't part with any of my Xs anyway (I still have my 2013).

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Now that Motorola and Verizon sh*t the bed on updates I'm getting seriously interested in the new Nexus phones and Project Fi. As much as the 5X is my preferred size, the 6P is just so much more everything for only $79 more (@32gb). Never, ever thought I'd get a phone that big, but it has my attention.

Rick Jacobs

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I’m sticking with my Moto 14 but I am looking at the Nexus phones and the Moto Pure, not so much for the lack of a Marshmallow upgrade, but I’m done dealing with the Moto camera. I learned to accept the crappy camera in my Moto X OG but my Moto 14 camera just really pisses me off. I just never know what kind of pic I'm going to end up with or how many extra pics I have to take to get a keeper. The Moto Pure looks nice but there's that Moto camera and do I risk it again. The Nexus 5x appears to be the perfect size for me but I lose the Moto specific functions I like to use. The Nexus 6p, looks nice but I know next to nothing about Huawei.

Last edited:

Flow39

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm sticking with my Pure, but I do switch between it and my iPhone regularly. I'd love to upgrade my Moto X to a Nexus 6 when I can find an extra $300 or save and get a Nexus 6p.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I have the football leather on Verizon edge. It's been an awesome phone and i love it.

Was thinking about buying a pure edition but decided to buy a Nexus 6P instead. I love the moto features, but a lot of them are integrated in to stock Android now anyway.

I'll use the nexus while still paying the X off. it'll just go in my drawer as a back up and next year sometime I'll get another phone on Verizon edge.

Really excited for the 6P. Build quality looks great, I'm excited for a FP scanner and hopefully much better battery life.

hawonjung

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Purchase iPhone 6s since my carrier was throwing money at me to get them. Still keeping MX14 but probably I will give it away to someone in the family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously looking at the nexus 5x. My 14 Moto x has crappy phone reception and the camera is awful. I accepted the awful camera because of the near pure android and the promise of quick updates. Now that my 14 MX won't get marshmallow I'm really thinking about the 5x. Love the pure android experience.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Jumped ship to iPhone 6s.

I bit the bullet and moved over to the darkside too, iPhone 6s Plus. It's much better than I imagined, iOS has come a long way since my last Apple device (iPod touch circa ~2011). I'm keeping my VZW Moto X 2014 for now, because I still love it (besides the camera).

gothand

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Love everything about my 2014 Moto X with walnut back except for the camera and battery. I can deal with the camera, but ultimately as a business device, the battery has become a deal killer. Even new, I was hard pressed to get a whole day's use. It's not as big of a deal when I am near a power source, but it is tedious to have to constantly keep an eye on the battery.

Switching to Nexus 6P and will pass the Moto down to a kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC