Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the Moto X (2nd gen)

linuxmel

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
If no support for updates, which is totally wrong at the price we have to pay for these devices, can't we just root these and install 6.0 custom roms?

Posted via the Android Central App

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
The Moto X 2014 MotoMaker page - the very page where they sell the VZW version right now - states: "With quick access to the latest updates, you always enjoy the best Android experience."

"Always." No asterisk or disclaimer that it doesn't apply to carrier versions. Seems like a direct promise made right at the point of sale to me.

Yup, it still says that on their website.

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 09.19.09.jpg

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Fyi, Motorola Support tweet messaged this response to my inquiry: Verizon Moto X 2014 will not be upgraded to Android 6.0, but will continue to get essential security updates and bug fixes.

ljredeye

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
If no support for updates, which is totally wrong at the price we have to pay for these devices, can't we just root these and install 6.0 custom roms?

Whoever ports the pure edition Marshmallow rom for my BigRed moto x 2014 is a winner in my books.

Last edited:

dcatiller

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
First of all, I agree that to stop updating these phones is horrible for those who bought them, and that there should have been some contractual agreement to safeguard the updates. I can't say that I fully understand the manufacturer and carrier relationship, but the bottom line of this situation is that both Google and Motorola are hurt by this more than Verizon will ever be.

I don't think Motorola has as much clout as you assert they do. The adaptation for the Verizon and AT&T versions of the phone can't be significant on top of what the Pure Edition ships with (I mean the software that the phone needs to function, not the carrier bloat). If Verizon and AT&T are to blame, I would think that this is because of lackluster sales and they don't want to spend the money and time to make carrier versions of their software images for the phones. Even if they were under contract with Motorola for those updates, is Motorola really in a position to fight that? Sure Lenovo could throw in some resources, but it sounds like they are trying to get costs under control and start turning a profit with Motorola. If Verizon lost it's Droid line tomorrow, how bad would it really hurt them? I think those users would go to other Android brands or to Apple.

As I said, I don't pretend to know exactly how the manufacturer and carrier contracts work, but it doesn't make sense to me that Motorola would have any real clout at the table with Verizon. Either way, this whole thing stinks, and I won't be buying another Motorola phone. Not because I'm on Verizon or AT&T (I have a 2014 Pure Edition on T-Mobile), but because I see a Motorola that has undergone a serious customer relations decay since late 2013. When Google had them, service was awesome and so were the phones. Once Lenovo purchased them, their support seemed to be in utter meltdown in 2014 with the 2nd Gen launch. With Motorola pulling this crap with software support on devices less than one year old, all bets are off in my mind. I don't want to find out what the next thing is that they can't afford to do. I think I'm back to Nexus phones unless something else really good comes along.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
My first Android phone was a Nexus, but I moved to Motorola because they were an American company, a Google company, and had some neat bells and whistles added to a predominantly pure version of Android. As Motorola is now just another Chinese/Korean/Taiwanese/etc. entity cranking out Android devices, in hindsight, I regret the decision moving to them for my last two phones. Their software additions were initially quirky at best, and my memories are full of things that never worked quite right. A number of questionable design decisions were also made, and adhered to, regardless of customer feedback.

So now... I am am going back to where I never should have strayed from in the first place... Nexus. Google is an American company, and even though their Nexus phones are built overseas (whose aren't), Google is Android (as Apple is iOS), and as long as I continue to be an Android user, I prefer to support the mothership. They are the only ones that have Android's best interest at heart. It is no longer about bells, whistles, leather and wood, but more of having things work as well as they can, and addressed as quickly as possible when they don't.

Unfortunately, the Nexus has never been a mainstream phone, mostly because it was never offered by carriers. But how we buy our phones has begun to change, and maybe everyone that cares about updates should support the mothership as well to ensure the Nexus program continues. For if it does not, I would consider going back to Apple.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Yup, it still says that on their website.

View attachment 200160

Lol! They've changed the language to read:

A pure Android experience

Moto X runs the latest version of Android OS, free from unnecessary software skins. Learn how to get a pure Android experience with unlocked, no contract Moto phones.​

Of course, the "latest version of Android OS" is now 6.0 so.... Still deceiving, still defrauding.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
A good buddy works for Motorola Solutions (the sister company to Motorola) and he once told me a few years back (when they were still one company) that to certify a phone on a USA carrier was big bucks and one of the biggest reasons why phones did not receive updates.

TO BE CLEAR, I AM NOT EXCUSING Motorola as I personally feel that they should update the Moto X 2014 (if not the 2013) to Marshmallow, but it might help to explain why they decided to not update it. While I realize it is probably a pipe dream, Moto should post some sort of update on their website and say, if you destroy your phone by running this update all bets are off and you are on your own as the update is NOT SANCTIONED or something like that.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
While I realize it is probably a pipe dream, Moto should post some sort of update on their website and say, if you destroy your phone by running this update all bets are off and you are on your own as the update is NOT SANCTIONED or something like that.

Motorola could leak the update. Anyone who wants to unlock their moto X could then load it up. I remember that happened with one of my old HTC phones after Verizon cancelled the official update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ljredeye

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Motorola could leak the update. Anyone who wants to unlock their moto X could then load it up. I remember that happened with one of my old HTC phones after Verizon cancelled the official update.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That I can see as a possible outcome. From what I understand it was the carriers that "could" have denied the update due to sales records. There's still a chance Moto can redeem themselves from this PR blunder. Then again, I can always look toward Cyanogenmod for the Marshmallow ROM, or wait for some clever programmer to port the Marshmallow ROM from the Pure edition. Go Open Source.

Flow39

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Fortunately for me, I got a 2014 Pure Edition so I'll get 6.0. From now on though, I'll be going with a Nexus for any Android phone I get. I hate not getting the latest software updates or getting them later than others, which is why I use an iPhone and (for now) Moto X combination.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Fyi, I received this email reply to my inquiry from Motorola Support on October 7th, one week after the filing date of the certs above.

Regarding the Moto X 2nd Gen Verizon version not receiving the Android 6 (Marshmallow) update, I'm afraid I would have to say that it will not be receiving the update. This decision was based on several factors and was carefully taken into consideration by Motorola and partner carriers. It's a decision aligned with Motorola's commitment to deliver above par devices to our consumers.

As promised, we wanted our consumers to "always enjoy the best Android experience" through updates that will make the device work more effective. Your device will still receive those updates that contains bug fixes, security patches and further updates for Android 5 (Lollipop) but won't go beyond that.

...adding, the last sentence of the first paragraph is particularly galling.

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
...adding, the last sentence of the first paragraph is particularly galling.

Ouch. Yes, that stings. And seems so out of place to say.

I'm guessing that they got the certification because they planned to release Marshmallow... then something happened to change their mind.

My Moto X is barely 3 months old, as I bought it directly from Motorola during one of the last sales. I thought I'd done my homework before buying it, seeing it mentioned on a number of lists as scheduled to get Marshmallow. It never occurred to me - or I didn't read carefully enough - that only the unlocked version would get it. Even though I love the phone itself, I wouldn't have purchased it had I known that.

I don't think Motorola is being lazy or malicious leaving the carrier versions behind. Maybe they flat-out can't afford it now, especially after seeing all the restructuring and layoffs going on. But nevertheless, it's something I'll have to consider when getting my next phone - which now will be sooner than I'd planned.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
This is not the first time Motorola has promised an update and then reversed course for their phones. The Sprint Motorola Photon 4G was abandoned on Gingerbread barely a year after it came out after Moto said it would be upgraded to ICS (4.0). After that disappointment, I swore I'd never buy a locked/carrier-branded phone again. Even after Moto seemed to turn a corner under Google's temporary ownership, this latest fiasco is all the proof I need to continue avoiding anything but a Nexus or an unlocked device.

Live by the carriers, die by the carriers.