Did Lenovo Finally Ruin Motorola?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My personal opinion is that Motorola ruined Motorola long before Google acquired it. It went from being one of the leading electronics companies in the world (the original Mac ran a Motorola processor, one of the first PCs ran a Motorola processor, A lot of peripherals ran Motorola processors, for decades, most police and fire departments would buy nothing but Motorola communications equipment) to a division of the small cast-off of a company trying to get out of a business it should never have gotten into (IBM). IMO, about the only thing Motorola owned by the end was Symbol Technologies, and they got rid of that.

It's a sign of the times. In the 30s, 40s and 50s, the fight was to see who could come up with the best technology - Motorola, HP, Tektronix, Boonton. Today it's about who can beat Wall Street's earning predictions the most. (Meaning that if all your competitors are in the red, closing your doors makes you the best company in the industry.)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My personal opinion is that Motorola ruined Motorola long before Google acquired it. It went from being one of the leading electronics companies in the world (the original Mac ran a Motorola processor, one of the first PCs ran a Motorola processor, A lot of peripherals ran Motorola processors, for decades, most police and fire departments would buy nothing but Motorola communications equipment) to a division of the small cast-off of a company trying to get out of a business it should never have gotten into (IBM). IMO, about the only thing Motorola owned by the end was Symbol Technologies, and they got rid of that.

It's a sign of the times. In the 30s, 40s and 50s, the fight was to see who could come up with the best technology - Motorola, HP, Tektronix, Boonton. Today it's about who can beat Wall Street's earning predictions the most. (Meaning that if all your competitors are in the red, closing your doors makes you the best company in the industry.)

I think they're referring to Moto becoming the most cult popular OEM with the Moto X line & Moto G, super fast updates and devices that redefined the look/feel/performance/value of Android devices over the last three years.

JoseGui

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Agree with the above... In the last few years Moto has truly innovated, been good about updates, and built some new loyalty. Lenovo may or may not blow it. I think failing to update the carrier editions of the 2014 Moto X is strike one.

iamyourdemize

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Everyone keeps saying Motorola has been quick with updates. The update to Lollipop was by no means fast. Neither was the Stagefright patch.

This from a pure edition 2014.