Sim card removal for Moto X 2014?

A

AC Question

Sim card removal for Moto X 2014

Do you really need a sim card removal toll? If so, where can I buy one?

Thanks!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sim card removal for Moto X 2014

Welcome to Android Central! You should be able to use something like a needle or safety pin to push in, as long as it fits.

Digital Rules

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site

Thanks, no problem getting it out. (Woo hoo) Now trying to install in a Droid Maxx, but seems like it doesn't fit. Any suggestions?

Posted via the Android Central App

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Don't recall which one uses which but in short, if it's too big, you have to trim the existing Sims card. If it's too small you need an adapter or a new Sims card.

Digital Rules

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site

Thanks, got the card in and the 4g light's up, but no service. Will the card not work if coming from a phone that is not paid for?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

It should work in any phone, if it's the right size. Forcing it into the drawer if it's too large won't work.

But ... with a CDMA phone (Verizon or Sprint), you have to have customer support change the ESN on your account to the new phone, because that's what's used to give you service. On GSM phones, you can swap a card to any phone you want - you can swap many times a day if that's what floats your boat. But on a CDMA phone, they have to change the account settings. (Verizon used to let you do it online at your account page - I don't think they do any longer.)

Digital Rules

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site

Thanks, went to a corporate Verizon store & the phone actually worked & they said all was well. Went home & no mobile connection again, but internet works. Went back to store & everything works again. The mobile part of the phone seems to only receive certain bands. Works fine when anywhere near the interstate, but no signal once a mile or so away. I'm guessing the phone is only partially activated, so this is the problem??????? Will call in the morning. Hope the phone itself isn't defective???????

Digital Rules

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site

I also noticed both the 1x & 4g signal strengths were very low on my phone in the store. The Droid Maxx display model showed full strength for both signals.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Is the phone originally from Verizon, or is it from a different carrier? If it's a version from a different carrier, it may be that it's lacking support for one of Verizon's main LTE bands. Verizon uses Bands 2, 4, and 13. The AT&T and T-Mobile versions of the 2014 Moto X support Bands 2 and 4, but not Band 13. The EU version doesn't support any of those bands. See the specs here: Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen) - Full phone specifications.

If you have an AT&T or T-Mobile variant, then maybe your area relies more on Band 13, which wouldn't be supported on your phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Derp, I got totally confused, and forgot that you were moving the SIM from the X to the Maxx. Sorry!:-\

At this point, I'd consider trying a new SIM. If the same thing occurs, then perhaps the antenna is faulty on the Maxx.

Digital Rules

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site

Got a new sim from Verizon corporate. They also turned on VoLTE which sounds G-R-E-A-T on the Maxx. Unfortunately, the phone still shows "no mobile network" once off of VoLTE, but data still works fine. Seems the phone isn't recognizing the legacy 1x 800 Mhz band, even when right next to a known 1x 800 Mhz tower. It will only make a call if;

1. VoLTE is on.
2. The phone is in range of a 1900 Mhz 1x signal. (i.e. works without VoLTE ONLY in Verizon store or right on interstate)

I'm thinking the phone is defective & should return for an exchange?

Thoughts???

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

If you keep VoLTE on, can you maintain a good connection away from the VZW store? Or does it still drop off suddenly?

Digital Rules

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site

Nice article, looks like legacy 1xCDMA will be around for quite a while on Verizon. All of their phones will be supporting the technology for many years.

I have deemed the phone defective and have a new one on the way. I REALLY like the Droid Maxx as it is the best sounding smartphone earpiece I have heard to date (except for the Nexus 6)

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site

But on a CDMA phone, they have to change the account settings.

I went from OG Moto X to Moto X 2014 without calling Verizon. Out of contract might have made the difference.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol