Just ordered a Moto X 2014

brogoh

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
First time poster and a long time lurker. I just ordered a brand new unlocked moto x 2014 for roughly $240. Im coming from an iphone 4s and ios9 just made it barely usable. I'm a moderate user who just wants a smooth and reliable device. I dont game on my phone and use it mainly for communication and media consumption (youtube, spotify). I want something stock and the price of the moto x compared to the n6 better fits the budget. Is the device something that I can use to for at least the next two years (based on how it aged since launch)?

Thanks.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi and welcome to AndroidCentral.

I think you should like your Moto X (2014). I was using a Moto X (2013) until October 2015, and it ran well on Lollipop. I chose to upgrade to the 2015 Moto X Pure Edition. However, my 2013 Moto X is still very usable.

Rdroid27

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
This phone is better than the nexus 6 as the nexus 6 is huge. I got my moto x 2nd gen on black Friday for £200 and there was recently a sale on for the same price again on moto official site so 420 dollars is not a great deal. I have marshmallow on my device and it runs well apart from when you restart the time on the phone sometimes goes back a day or two but it is nothing major. It is a great size and it is really cool to be customised (red and engraved) however the battery life is poor and marshmallow is probably the last major OS update on this device. As you are in the US make sure you don't buy on a carrier as you won't get marshmallow.!

Posted via the Android Central App

Rdroid27

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Sorry I misread 240 as 420 that is a good deal. Get this phone if you don't mind about probably not getting Android N

brogoh

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Is the battery really that bad? How much SOT on the average do you guys get? As long as it gets me through a day then its fine with me.

Btw, i dont mind if marshmallow is the last major update it gets. As long as it remains smooth and reliable, i can manage to use it for 2+ years.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Is the battery really that bad? How much SOT on the average do you guys get? As long as it gets me through a day then its fine with me.

Btw, i dont mind if marshmallow is the last major update it gets. As long as it remains smooth and reliable, i can manage to use it for 2+ years.

I get 2.5 - 3 hours.

Canto

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I've had my MotoX2014 since last February. Absolutely NO hardware/software issues, No lag, call quality is great, Camera is exceptional. Only setback is the Battery but it will last me a majority of the day. I am not glued to my phone like most people but you need to conserve your battery.

brogoh

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I've had my MotoX2014 since last February. Absolutely NO hardware/software issues, No lag, call quality is great, Camera is exceptional. Only setback is the Battery but it will last me a majority of the day. I am not glued to my phone like most people but you need to conserve your battery.

Glad to hear! I am not a heavy user so i hope battery wont be much of an issue. 3 hrs of SOT i think is enough for me, but of course i hope to get more.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site

Gotta disagree with the camera. You can sometimes get some good shots, but alot of the time the thing refuses to focus. It's the worst camera I've ever used on a smartphone. Its not a major issue for me though because im not exactly taking pictures all the time. I read that the camera wasnt the best before i bought the phone too, i was just surprised how bad it actually is sometimes. But if you can put up with that and the so-so battery life then it's a great phone

Burro Brillo

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Battery life can be an issue if you're a major user. Of course you can mitigate the effects by using a dark background on your home screen and turning off any vibrating notifications unless you really need them. Also, turn off your Bluetooth, and location, when not in use.
I'm a moderate user, battery lasts from about 6:30a to 10p with no prob. That can include 2-3 hours of Netflix.
Camera is actually pretty good in med to high light environments though moving shots can be challenging.
The screen cast is generally great, but restart whatever app you're using initially if sound is an issue. Mine works with a Samsung TV without the need for chrome cast etc and will also stream through roku, last time I checked.

anon(9029232)

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I got my 2014 Moto X Pure (that's 64 gigs of storage) for $99 on Moto Maker. I got to choose my own custom back and accent color and everything. I feel like I'm the only one who got this deal

Posted via the Moto X Pure (2nd Gen.) running CM13 w/ Nova Prime & Xposed

Alex Middleton

May 28, 2014
Visit site
The battery could be better. Mine lasts me through the day most days but I am not a heavy user. What annoys me most is how much it loses when on standby. Doze doesn't appear to have made any major difference. The camera is average, but I am not too bothered about that. The pictures are fine in most cases where I just need some snaps.

Having said all this, though, I love my Moto X. Moto Voice and Display are great and I couldn't do without them. I have skipped the 2015 upgrades to the Moto X, so I will be keeping this one until later in the year and see what they bring out then.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
I got my 2014 Moto X Pure (that's 64 gigs of storage) for $99 on Moto Maker. I got to choose my own custom back and accent color and everything. I feel like I'm the only one who got this deal

Posted via the Moto X Pure (2nd Gen.) running CM13 w/ Nova Prime & Xposed

Wow! That's an amazing offer indeed!

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
The battery could be better. Mine lasts me through the day most days but I am not a heavy user. What annoys me most is how much it loses when on standby. Doze doesn't appear to have made any major difference. The camera is average, but I am not too bothered about that. The pictures are fine in most cases where I just need some snaps.

Having said all this, though, I love my Moto X. Moto Voice and Display are great and I couldn't do without them. I have skipped the 2015 upgrades to the Moto X, so I will be keeping this one until later in the year and see what they bring out then.

Yeah, standby can sometimes drain the battery quite alot. When I wake up in the morning my phone is on 100% battery. An hour later, when I arrive at work, it will have regularly lost 10% and I will have done absolutely nothing with the phone in that hour.

And you echo my situation regarding upgrade. I too skipped the Moto X 2015 and am waiting to see what the 2016 version is like

conbdebolio

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
You'll certainly love the phone itself; it feels and looks great, from the soft textured back to the AMOLED screen. The only thing that disappointed me is the battery, which on the long-run didn't last. After less than a year and a half, the only way it can last a whole day is if I never ever use it, let it rest face-down on silent mode and hope I don't get many notifications. I say this slightly brokenhearted because it's the best (not the most expensive) phone I've ever had.

I do hope your battery's lifetime is better than mine.

Saludos.

brogoh

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
After having it for almost a month, i have not experienced any major issues. I get 3-4hrs of SOT which is fine w me. I just hope this phone will age well for the next 23 months. Haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz