When I re-added Google Account to Moto-X (2014), I couldn't syce email/contact/calendar, etc., why?

A

AC Question

When I re-added Google Account to Moto-X (2014), I couldn't sycn email/contact/calendar, etc.

My mom accidentally removed her Google Account from her phone, so she lost access to all her contacts and emails.

When we added her account back to the phone (through the usual Settings -> Accounts -> Add Account -> Google method). It was added successfully as we can see her account under Google, but only Chrome, Google+ and Google+ Uploads are the available options for her to select for syncing. Options for Gmail, contacts, calendars, etc. are no where to be found.

We went back to the Contacts and Gmail apps and none of her contacts or mails were showing up, and it even gave us the "would you like to add an account" message when we were attempting to create a new dummy contact.

When she was first trying to add her account back into the phone, she did accidentally added it to Email instead of Google, and we received a "Sign-In attempt prevented" email from Google recommending her to log in using Google or Gmail instead. I am not sure if that had anything to do with it at all, but it doesn't look like I can do anything to unblock or anything when I review her device activity online.

We did log into her account through a computer browser and it looks like everything is normal. Factory resetting the device is not a good option, as she has too many pictures taken with her phone that are not yet backed up (she lives in a different country and do not have quick access to a computer. I was only helping her remotely on the phone.)

Did anyone come across this issue in the past and how was it resolved? Many thanks!

wingzeroc2002

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
I agree it's extremely weird and I really appreciate your help. I tried to get her to add another account to her phone and it's still doing the same thing. Here's a screenshot of her phone (sorry about the Chinese language but I believe you will get the idea).

20160606_141705.jpg

wingzeroc2002

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: When I re-added Google Account to Moto-X (2014), I couldn't sycn email/contact/calendar, etc.

That shouldn't be the case either, as she's in Hong Kong and never had any issues with Google Services over the past years.

wingzeroc2002

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
Good news! She was able to backup her photos onto a relative's computer in preparation of a full reset. She also decided to free up some space on her phone by removing some old photos (apparently she was also running out of storage space). She then noticed that the contacts started to appear again on her phone, and the sync options for contacts, gmails and other Google services started reappearing in the account sync setting.

Guess this is resolved for now. And as odd as it sounds, it looks like storage space shortage might have been the cause of the sync issue. Thank you for your assistance on this sfoLAX, I really appreciate it!

wingzeroc2002

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
Yep she's on Marshmallow and I just got her to turn on the Google Photos backup so now she should be in good hands.

I will definitely browse around and enjoy this community. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20