Moto Amps: Moto goes modular (MotoMod)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola is preparing 2 Moto X flagships with a modular backplate design | VentureBeat | Mobile | by Evan Blass

Rumored:
  • Colored Backplate
  • Stereo Speakers
  • Battery Pack
  • Camera Grip with Flash and Optical Zoom
  • Pico Projector
  • Rugged Cover with Wide Angle Lens Attachment

Modular done right
The bigger story here starts with those 16 holes seen on the back of the white Vertex, above. While they’ve been written off in some coverage as speaker ports, they are actually connection pins that allow modular backplates to be snapped onto either handset.

Motorola has at least six modules, called “Amps,” planned for launch, including a simple colored backplate that ships free with both handsets. The more interesting ones will be, of course, sold separately, both from Moto as well as third-party manufacturers. The first-party modules available at launch allegedly include stereo speakers; a battery pack; a camera grip with flash and optical zoom; a pico projector; and a rugged cover with wide angle lens attachment.

It should now be clear that the phones’ protruding camera lens will actually sit flush when there are Amps attached. They’re connected magnetically in a manner that was said to make for a tight, secure connection while also allowing for easy removal.

This modular system, and the one introduced by LG with the LG G5, are undoubtedly similar and will prompt comparisons in the press. And despite being first to market, LG is very likely going to come out on the losing end of these evaluations. Focusing so tightly on offering a removable battery seems to have hamstrung the Korean manufacturer into a form factor not nearly as well-suited for the task as Motorola’s.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto Amps: Moto goes modular

It'll be interesting to see how Motos modular design solution compares to LGs.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I think an add on as in no removable parts but an easy connection to the bottom through the USB port would probably be best.

Zaku77

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

The stereo speakers one actually makes me sad. That means that it won't have them without it, and even then they will probably be backfiring. And, if the rumors of the tiny battery are true, then it won't be possible to have the extended battery and the speakers at the same time. This alone, if true, has killed this phone for me. :/

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I think Moto is looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Most people keep their phones only 2 years at most. I'd rather buy accessories that are functional for multiple devices, not accessories that are useless when I get rid of a phone.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I think Moto is looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Most people keep their phones only 2 years at most. I'd rather buy accessories that are functional for multiple devices, not accessories that are useless when I get rid of a phone.

I learned this lesson with another Motorola phone, the Photon 4G. Great phone, nifty accessories (especially the car mount) that sadly only fit that model. When I kicked Sprint to the curb and moved to the Nexus 4, all those accessories quickly became dead weight. Now I make sure anything I buy for a phone can (likely) be used down the road with its replacement.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I learned this lesson with another Motorola phone, the Photon 4G. Great phone, nifty accessories (especially the car mount) that sadly only fit that model. When I kicked Sprint to the curb and moved to the Nexus 4, all those accessories quickly became dead weight. Now I make sure anything I buy for a phone can (likely) be used down the road with its replacement.

I did that with the DROID and DROID BIONIC.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Those look hideous. :eek:

My exact thought, too. Technically my second thought, since my first was "oh my god." It's probably too much to hope that these will come in different colors a la Moto Maker, but even if they do they still look dated.

2011 called, it wants its design aesthetics back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21