Motorola Promises Next Gen Moto X Will have Kickin' Camera

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
The subpar camera was one of the main reasons I returned the 2nd gen Moto X. I hope the next Moto X has a great camera, but I'll believe it when/if it happens.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I probably need S6/G4/iPhone 6 -level quality for the third gen Moto X to be my next phone. :/

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I probably need S6/G4/iPhone 6 -level quality for the third gen Moto X to be my next phone. :/
I bet they'll add ois but not improve the image processing at all, which will basically give it a nexus 6 quality. Which, despite a cult following, has a camera a generation or more behind the note 4 and 2015 flagships.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I'd be shocked if it was G4/S6/iPhone 6+ quality ... near stock makes it almost impossible so it's simply a tradeoff. is be happy with iPhone 6/Nexus 6 quality, which IMO is more realistic. I'd obviously love to be wrong, but I'd be shocked if it's anywhere near S6/G4.

Posted via the Android Central App

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
... near stock makes it almost impossible so it's simply a tradeoff.

These two are not mutually exclusive. Lollipop has a great baseline standard for photos that can be used if the manufacturer so chooses to use it.

As great as the S6 camera is, it's still not as flexible as the G4 because you can't take long exposures with it. There is no hardware limitations on it, but Samsung has decided to not utilize the functionality.

We'll see what Motorola does, and if they "bring it". But if they don't, it has nothing to do with being close to stock.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I get the feeling we will all be pleasantly shrouded with the new Moto X camera. I like the pictures that the Nexus 6 produces. They may not be to the S6/G4 level but it's definitely not an embarrassment. Can't wait until July 28. It will be a good day.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
These two are not mutually exclusive. Lollipop has a great baseline standard for photos that can be used if the manufacturer so chooses to use it.

As great as the S6 camera is, it's still not as flexible as the G4 because you can't take long exposures with it. There is no hardware limitations on it, but Samsung has decided to not utilize the functionality.

We'll see what Motorola does, and if they "bring it". But if they don't, it has nothing to do with being close to stock.

I hear what you're saying, but I disagree and think near stock devices (nexus, moto x) do indeed have an uphill battle when trying to optimize their camera software. how significant I can't say for certain, but I definitely wouldn't diminish it and say it has " nothing to do with being close to stock. " that's just an inaccurate statement.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I get the feeling we will all be pleasantly shrouded with the new Moto X camera. I like the pictures that the Nexus 6 produces. They may not be to the S6/G4 level but it's definitely not an embarrassment. Can't wait until July 28. It will be a good day.

love your quote and totally agree ... M9, S6, G4 all left me slightly disappointed, some more than others. I think the light switch is going on next week and I'm looking forward to it.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I hear what you're saying, but I disagree and think near stock devices (nexus, moto x) do indeed have an uphill battle when trying to optimize their camera software. how significant I can't say for certain, but I definitely wouldn't diminish it and say it has " nothing to do with being close to stock. " that's just an inaccurate statement.

What would being close to stock have to do with making it more difficult to get a good working camera? It's not like Motos additions to android are rudimentary, it's just that they are not wasting time re-doing things that Google already figured out. The moto assist functions were fantastic and not a small addition. Plus, if anything, having a lighter skin should make it EASIER to add a good camera, since it will take less resources to develop their android skin.

And if they were smart, they'd reach a deal with one of the existing camera app developers and let them do most of the heavy lifting for them. Camera Fv-5 or some something similar.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
And if they were smart, they'd reach a deal with one of the existing camera app developers and let them do most of the heavy lifting for them. Camera Fv-5 or some something similar.

This is a great idea and one I'd never even considered. At this point, I'd be happy with the camera being on par with the Nexus 6 (I've got a Nexus 6 and it rarely lets me down in the camera department). The only issue is that it can be slow to capture, but even that's been improved by 5.1.1 and updates to Google Camera.

I had 3 first gen Moto X's...the first one I bought used and loved it so much that when Motorola ran the original holiday sale, I purchased an unlocked model through MotoMaker and sold the first one. The I had the 2nd one for a while but eventually gave it to my dad and purchased a Dev Edition.

I got a 2nd Gen a couple of weeks ago, but during my 14-day return period they announced the event for next Tuesday, so I ended up returning it and I'm waiting for the 2015 model to go on sale. I'll most likely be a day-one buyer if it lives up to the specs that have leaked so far.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm still debating on what to get for my next phone. I had an awful experience with Motorolas repair center, sending me 3 defective refurbished units (I cracked my screen originally) before giving me a new 2014 as a substitute. But I an seeing more frequent issues with service since the sale to Lenovo, and not sure I want to deal with that any longer.
But, if the phone is awesome enough, I may take a chance anyways.
Note 5, LG g4, or new Moto x. Will be a tough choice between them all.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
What would being close to stock have to do with making it more difficult to get a good working camera? It's not like Motos additions to android are rudimentary, it's just that they are not wasting time re-doing things that Google already figured out. The moto assist functions were fantastic and not a small addition. Plus, if anything, having a lighter skin should make it EASIER to add a good camera, since it will take less resources to develop their android skin.

I hear what you're saying now and I did a bad job articulating my point. What I meant to say is that Android's stock camera, though improving, has traditionally been bad. If Moto wants to avoid optimizing their own camera software in an effort to keep their skin as light as possible, then they're at the mercy of Android and their sub par camera software.

To your point, I definitely agree. I'd rather give up the near stock feel in the camera department, in exchange for much better optimization. And yes, Moto could and should do this. Where I didn't explain my point well enough was that they can't have it both ways. They can't have near stock camera software and compete with S6/G4.

I'd be happy with iPhone 6 quality. I just don't see them jumping into S6/G4/iPhone 6+ territory, though I really hope I'm wrong.

Give me an improved camera with a larger battery, that's all I ask!

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I hear what you're saying now and I did a bad job articulating my point. What I meant to say is that Android's stock camera, though improving, has traditionally been bad. If Moto wants to avoid optimizing their own camera software in an effort to keep their skin as light as possible, then they're at the mercy of Android and their sub par camera software.

To your point, I definitely agree. I'd rather give up the near stock feel in the camera department, in exchange for much better optimization. And yes, Moto could and should do this. Where I didn't explain my point well enough was that they can't have it both ways. They can't have near stock camera software and compete with S6/G4.

I'd be happy with iPhone 6 quality. I just don't see them jumping into S6/G4/iPhone 6+ territory, though I really hope I'm wrong.

Give me an improved camera with a larger battery, that's all I ask!

No one's stuck with the stock camera app, that's the thing. There's several third party ones people can use instead.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
That all depends on how much of the "camera's" effects are in the camera driver interface, and how many of them are actually in the camera software.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've never seen a noticeable difference on any phone using a non stock camera, except for applying effects.

The issue isn't at the app level, or even the kernel. LG and Samsung didn't build better cameras - everyone had basically the same sensors and lenses - they paid tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars to license the image processing technology from real camera companies who've been doing digital photography for decades.

Nexus/aosp will NEVER get that level of image processing, because the people who own the technology will never let it go open source.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
The issue isn't at the app level, or even the kernel. LG and Samsung didn't build better cameras - everyone had basically the same sensors and lenses - they paid tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars to license the image processing technology from real camera companies who've been doing digital photography for decades.

Nexus/aosp will NEVER get that level of image processing, because the people who own the technology will never let it go open source.
Yep, understood. People keep typing this like it has anything to do with motos non-nexus phones. Moto has the ability to license the software they need for their droid and moto lines. I feel like they won't though.

Bonovox72

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I can definitely say they have improved because my new Moto G 2015 has a tack sharp camera especially using HDR. The HDR is the best I've seen ever and I'm normally fussy with quality. Even on a grey sky day it's sharp

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol