Predictions: Moto X Play potential battery life?

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
First a quick rant; There's been so many hands-on preview articles/videos made about the Moto X Style and Moto G but all the tech media seen to have almost completely overlooked the Moto X Play. I can only assume this is because most are American. I want this phone desperately but trying to find hands-on articles/videos is like trying to find gold dust in a sea of Moto X Style and G previews. End rant.

Anyway, seeing as there's a similar thread for the Style, I thought I'd do the same for the Play.

Here's what we've got:

- efficient lower-powered SOC
- 'only' a FHD display
- that 3630mAh battery!
- no bloatware installed

I wonder what the screen-on time will be like? Obviously better than the Style, last year's Moto X and the Droid Turbo. Better than all the flagships from LG, Sony etc too. I've been looking at all the phones with the largest battery capacities and they all use higher-powered SOCs and/or have QHD displays. So this phone is really exciting as we haven't seen the low-powered Snapdragon 615 paired with a battery of this size yet. It'll be one hell of an upgrade over my current Nexus 5, which struggles to handle more than two hours of screen-on time with my usage patterns (heavy web browsing)! :)

Winston P

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Moto X Play potential battery life?

If Motorola can improve on the battery optimization compared to the Turbo (which was disappointing, esp. for a 3900 mAh battery), I can expect it to get to six or seven hours of screen on time. That's a rather big if, but not impossible. They should've learnt from the past year, and it has the MAXX line to back it up from years past.

Also, regarding the Play not having hands on, it wasn't present at the NYC site, which was where most of the American media was invited to. It was only in the London and Sao Paolo venues, so that's why basically no one hands-onded (I'm just inventing words) it. Sucks for it to not go into the US, especially since we can expect it to cost $299 (the Style's 399, the G's 179, reasonable to expect it at 299) and go head-to-head with the Alcatel Idol 3 and ZenFone 2, but I guess Motorola didn't feel like cannibalizing the sales of the two others for the time being, in the US at least.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Must mean that 99% of the media are American because there's been barely a murmuring about it online. I just want to know more about it!

I think it's the general consensus that the poor battery life of the Turbo was due to the bloatware that Verizon installed and/or the QHD display. Play doesn't have those problems.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

If I were to get the Moto X Play directly from Motorola to use on T-Mobile Prepaid here in the U.S., would I still be able to get HSPA plus (AKA 4G)?

Posted via the Android Central App

nightfury858

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
If this beast can do over 6 hours of screen on time I'll be sold. I'm even willing to downgrade from a snapdragon 801 and 3 GB ram found on my OnePlus One.

Posted from OnePlus One via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

This will go two days in normal use.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

First a quick rant; There's been so many hands-on preview articles/videos made about the Moto X Style and Moto G but all the tech media seen to have almost completely overlooked the Moto X Play. I can only assume this is because most are American. I want this phone desperately but trying to find hands-on articles/videos is like trying to find gold dust in a sea of Moto X Style and G previews. End rant.

Anyway, seeing as there's a similar thread for the Style, I thought I'd do the same for the Play.

Here's what we've got:

- efficient lower-powered SOC
- 'only' a FHD display
- that 3630mAh battery!
- no bloatware installed

I wonder what the screen-on time will be like? Obviously better than the Style, last year's Moto X and the Droid Turbo. Better than all the flagships from LG, Sony etc too. I've been looking at all the phones with the largest battery capacities and they all use higher-powered SOCs and/or have QHD displays. So this phone is really exciting as we haven't seen the low-powered Snapdragon 615 paired with a battery of this size yet. It'll be one hell of an upgrade over my current Nexus 5, which struggles to handle more than two hours of screen-on time with my usage patterns (heavy web browsing)! :)

Apparently the 615 isn't great on battery usage, and is more of a battery hog than the 8xx series chips (minus the 810) at least that is what David on AndroidPolice was saying, hence why they went so large battery on the play and "only" 3000mah on the style.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Apparently the 615 isn't great on battery usage, and is more of a battery hog than the 8xx series chips (minus the 810) at least that is what David on AndroidPolice was saying, hence why they went so large battery on the play and "only" 3000mah on the style.
Hmmm. That's disappointing to hear.

Sony has just announced a direct competitor to this phone - the Xperia M5. It's got a 2600mAh battery and a Helio X10. Will it have longer battery life despite the much smaller battery?

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Pretty long, but not as long as it could if it had a Krait CPU other than an ARM reference CPU.

Qualcomm's custom CPUs, like Krait and Kryo, are usually more efficient in general.

Leo Bauberger

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

That's one point of view. Although, I've seen a lot of reviews with other phones that use the same 615 chipset and that don't have battery issues.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

His opinion here: https://plus.google.com/113781386215450614303/posts/ai1NGyKnKLS

And if you look approximately half way down his editorial on Snapdragon In general where he brings up the 615: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...qualcomm-begun-a-long-slow-fall-from-the-top/ its not terribly reassuring.

I was initially very excited about this phone - not least because of the battery size - but now I'm not so sure so definitely hanging fire on this one.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

The one thing about Krait is that it's usually more efficient than many ARM reference chips since Krait usually has more performance per watt.

Should expect the same from Kryo when it drops in the SD820 that's set to be in the next Nexus.

stevedo

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site

Looking forward to seeing this phone in the wild. Last year's moto x is great but the battery is starting to suck.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

His opinion here: https://plus.google.com/113781386215450614303/posts/ai1NGyKnKLS

And if you look approximately half way down his editorial on Snapdragon In general where he brings up the 615: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...qualcomm-begun-a-long-slow-fall-from-the-top/ its not terribly reassuring.

I was initially very excited about this phone - not least because of the battery size - but now I'm not so sure so definitely hanging fire on this one.
Holy ****. Here's positively spitting venom at the 615. Really souring my enthusiasm for this phone :(

But what other options are there in this price bracket that will be available by the end of this month? I can only think of the Xperia M5 with the Helio X10 SOC - but it has a mere 2600mAh battery.

Leo Bauberger

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

Holy ****. Here's positively spitting venom at the 615. Really souring my enthusiasm for this phone :(

But what other options are there in this price bracket that will be available by the end of this month? I can only think of the Xperia M5 with the Helio X10 SOC - but it has a mere 2600mAh battery.

I want to see other points of views. This is only one guy. I've made a research about other phones that uses the same 615 (HTC desire 820, Alcatel...) and the reviewers indeed say that the battery have issues, but the bigger battery (HTC desire) only has 2600 mah

Now the question is, even with this bad SD 615, it's gonna be equal or worse than other phones?
I really want to see a review to make my mind...
X Play Battery pontential vs Xperia M5 vs MX4 Pro vs Moto Maxx

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Yeah, perhaps I'm overreacting and getting on the scaremongering bandwagon too prematurely. As lacklustre as the 615 is supposed to be in power efficiency, can the Xperia M5 really outlast the Moto X Play with the latter having a 40% bigger battery?

Leo Bauberger

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

Look, I've made more deep research about the battery issue under the SD 615 and like I said, we should not believe blindly in just one person words.
I've picked one recent model with almost the same chipset (the difference is a lower 1.5 GHz vs 1.7 GHz from X Play) and search through various reviews. The Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 has 2910 mAh
ALL of them say that the battery is either decent or good.
You can see for yourself
Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 review: the budget flagship to rule them all | Pocketnow
Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 review - Page 2 - CNET
Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3: Battery Life, Call Quality, Speakers and Verdict
Alcatel Idol 3 (5.5) and Idol 3 (4.7) review: Two phones, one soul - page 3 - GSMArena.com
Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 review: Camera, battery life and verdict | TechRadar

Even if the performance with another chipset should be better, I think it will still beats a lot of other phones (like the xperia m5) and at least be equal with the droid turbo/moto maxx

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

And if you look approximately half way down his editorial on Snapdragon In general where he brings up the 615: Editorial: Snapdragon Sorrows - Has Qualcomm Begun A Long, Slow Fall From The Top? its not terribly reassuring.

Thanks for posting. I remember seeing it on G+, but couldn't find it when I posted. Seems this years crop of Snapdragon chips just didn't live up to the hype overall. Hopefully the 820 fixes all of the issues the 810 was having, and also their new mid range chips can also fix any power issues they are having.

m477

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

The SoC used on the X play is far newer than the one on the Idol 3/P8 lite/etc. From the specs it seems more similar to the 616 (this makes me wonder if they have used the 616, but just called it 615, because qualcomm hasn't yet given it a commercal name at the time of Motorola's keynote). A hardware revision could be really meaningful: the 810 on the One Plus Two doesn't seem to suffer of overheating. Ruddock is a overreacting. I would just wait for the phone to be released, before judging.