GPU Performance on the Moto X Play (Snapdragon 615)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
So, I just read Anandtech's review of the new Moto G. What interested me the most was GPU performance graphs.

Much fuss has been made about the Snapdragon 615 and its GPU performance. Many have written off buying the Moto X Play for this very reason.

However, these graphs from Anandtech reveal that in every 3D benchmark performed on-screen the Huawei P8 Lite (SD 615, Adreno 405, 1080p) slightly outperforms the LG G4 (SD 808, Adreno 418, 1440p). It even rivals the Nexus 6 (SD 805, Adreno 420, 1440p) in some cases! It appears that the lower display resolution makes up for the less powerful GPU. Therefore, there isn't really any need to worry about GPU performance. It won't beat phones with 1080p displays that have more powerful GPUs but can provide a gaming experience on par with current flagships such as LG G4, Nexus 6 and one has to assume the Moto X Style too! :)

76909.png

76910.png

76913.png

76911.png

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Very good observation. Although it is a bit disappointing that both the 615 / 1080p and 808 / 1440p combos are outperformed by last year's and 2013's popular 801 / 1080p combo. Ever since the Nexus 5 (2013), performance on Android has basically hit a wall because any performance gains have been negated by QHD displays.

I would really like to see Anandtech compare the displays of the Play and Style. QHD resolution doesn't matter much to me, but it would be interesting to know if one display is brighter or has better contrast and viewing angles than the other display. If the Play had a brighter display and / or better contrast, it could actually swing me in that direction.

Ryan Oneill

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: GPU performance - not as bad as you probably would expect!

Been using mine since Friday and no issues at all gaming. If you have any questions or want me to test anything let me know

Posted via the Android Central App

Rajeev Kumar5

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Been using mine since Friday and no issues at all gaming. If you have any questions or want me to test anything let me know

How is the battery and if there is a separate slot for two Sims and a micro sd card?
It would be great if you give full review of the phone....

Ryan Oneill

May 12, 2013
Visit site

My unboxing and initial impressions are on my YouTube channel, the sim tray has sim on one side micro SD on other. To early to tell battery will update in a few days

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site

Which Games have you tried so far?

Posted via Android Central App

Ryan Oneill

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Iv tried Modern Combat, Rispeed 2 and need for speed. Any others you want me to try let me know

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site

Ahh OK thanks. Modern combat was the one I was going to ask about haha

Posted via Android Central App

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

I've just tried Smash Hit, Jelly Defense and Sleepy Jack. All ran without a hitch.

gnondpomme

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

could anyone try Hearthstone ? It's the only game I play on amy phone and I would really be disappointed if it was more laggy than on my Nexus 5

girinath

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Plated many games and it worked good.
Games like nova 3 and Thor did stutter a bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.