Issues with my Moto 360 and my new Moto X Play

Dekz

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a new Moto X play last night, and unfortunately it doesn't seem to work very well with my Moto 360.

Both the "Mute phone alerts & calls" and "Tilt to wake screen" options in the Android Wear app stop working after a few minutes. Toggling them off and then on again in the Android Wear settings will fix it; but again, only for a few minutes.

At first everything works fine and if I hit the volume button it says "Muted by Android Wear". But eventually my phone will just start making notification sounds again. When I push volume it no longer says "Muted by Android Wear".

Both of these things worked flawlessly with my old phone, I'm pretty surprised to be having these problems now that I have a Motorola phone.

Has anybody had these issues before? Any ideas for a solution?

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
hmmmmm that's strange, I have the exact setup as you and I'm not having this issue. Did you factory reset the watch before pairing with your new Moto X Play?

Dekz

May 3, 2011
Visit site
hmmmmm that's strange, I have the exact setup as you and I'm not having this issue. Did you factory reset the watch before pairing with your new Moto X Play?

Yup, I'm not aware of any other way to pair the watch with a new phone? I've also Factory Reset the watch a couple times trying to fix this.

My girlfriend has the exact same issue with her 360 and her new X Play. Both of our watches worked fine with our old phones.

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a xt1562, in Australia on Telstra network.

Tilt to work definitely turns off as I generally run the watch in ambient mode.

I have the phone muted now by wear and it is working so far.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Dekz

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I can't recreate any of your problems. :(

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Interesting! I've found two other people so far with the same issues; one of them is even on a Moto X Pure.

Ok, let's compare versions of some apps. I have:

Phone:
AndroidWear 1.3.0.2250989
Google Play Services 8.1.15 (2250156-238)

Watch:
AndroidWear 1.3.0.2166028
Google Play Services 7.8.99 (2134222-534)

jendit

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Same issue with my new Moto X Play (no carrier brand or something).

All worked fine before with my Moto360 and my Nexus 5 but since the MotoXPlay it does not keep the notifications at the phone silence.
I would imagine it has something to do with Motorola's Apps (Moto Assist) but did not test it out yet.

jendit

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
OK, just took another look into it.
Every time the screen is locked the "muted by Android Wear" setting is gone from the volume area.
What is special there? Motorola has it's own lock screen notifications but you can turn this off (Notifications / Choose a display).
I just switched away from "Moto Display" to one of the alternatives which both worked for me ("Ambient Display" or "None").
Now when I lock the screen and unlock it again, the "muted by Android Wear" stays (for now at least).
It also worked with receiving a message while the screen was locked for me.

Maybe worth a try...

kain83

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
OK, just took another look into it.
Every time the screen is locked the "muted by Android Wear" setting is gone from the volume area.
What is special there? Motorola has it's own lock screen notifications but you can turn this off (Notifications / Choose a display).
I just switched away from "Moto Display" to one of the alternatives which both worked for me ("Ambient Display" or "None").
Now when I lock the screen and unlock it again, the "muted by Android Wear" stays (for now at least).
It also worked with receiving a message while the screen was locked for me.

Maybe worth a try...

Same problem here and your solution seems working. I have moto x play (no developer edition) unlocked bootloader and LG G watch R.
I have just read a guy's post on reddit, he says that removing google play service seems to fix it (actually he did a factory reset and then updated play service). I'm trying right now...

EDIT: Uninstalled google play service, installed, factory reset of my smartwatch, uninstalled android wear app and installed...it's not working :( very annoying, root cause seems to be really Moto Display, no hope Motorola fixes it soon

kain83

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Ok I have just found a middle-solution. I downloaded a module for Xposed (True silent Mode), after activation you will not able to receive any vibrations or sounds on your phone, but you'll receive a vibration on your watch instead. It's similar to android wear function, the difference is if you disconnect your watch you have to disable the silent mode on your phone manually. Hoping Google (or Motorola in our case) fixs it soon...