USB Audio Moto X Play

Jake12121

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
So I really need some help with this, I picked up a USB OTG cable but it hasn't changed anything. My car doesn't support bluetooth, and I can't change songs from my car controls using AUX (plus the sound quality is not as good) I really need to figure this out, I also have a Samsung soundbar I'd like to connect my phone to. Please help.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you car supports audio through USB (which, in reality, it probably only supports reading MP3 files off your phone, not really transmitting audio from it or controlling it in any way other than requesting a different file) why would you get an OTG cable? Those are to connect generic-profile devices TO your phone (like mice, keyboard, and external storage).

Connecting the normal USB cable to your car system should work (same thing with the soundbar IF it supports USB file reading).

Jake12121

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
It just comes up and says USB error on the car, a d No USB on the soundbar. And I read somewhere I needed an OTG cable for it. I do have other uses for the cable anyway so not a waste of money.

Jake12121

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Also it does support controlling it as I've had other USB audio devises hooked up and been able to switch track via the buttons on the back of the steering wheel. It also supports more than just MP3

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, but it doesn't 'control' the device (if you look at your phone while it's plugged in, there's really no music playing there), it's just reading the files off the phone as a storage drive and playing them through the car's music player, VS Bluetooth controls that audio is being routed from your phone to your car's speakers and the music playback is actually being handled by the phone. This works for iPhones because most cars have the iProtocols (not the actual name, BTW) licensed for it so it works differently.

For your phone to work, though, it might need to be put into either USB Storage Mode (IIRC, this mode was removed from Android a long time ago) or Media Transfer Protocol Mode (MTP).

Jake12121

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I can't seem to find any apps to enable Mass Storage mode and the MTP doesn't work either. I wonder why they took out the Mass Storage option and didn't design the OS and devise in such away that audio could be played through usb. I guess if I want to go for sound quality now I'll have to get a DAC. Thanks anyway.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Try this first on a computer. When you connect your phone through USB there should be a legend on the notification bar saying that the phone is either just charging or if it's ready for file transfer (THIS is the mode you want!). Now, depending on your car system, if it doesn't support MTP and it needs generic USB Storage profiles, you won't be able to use your phone with that car system, unfortunately. Some people have to Enable USB Debugging in their phones (it should be in your settings, it's not an app, and you may have to enable Developer Mode on your phone to see that menu) in order to get their computers to recognize them. You might want to try that and see if it helps with the car.

The 'official' version is that Generic Mass Storage was removed from the OS for security reasons (and a valid point, to a certain extent). As to why the Audio through USB driver wasn't included, you'd need to ask the car system manufacturer... the ability to do it IS in your phone, it's the accessories that don't implement the protocol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12