Why does naming convention change for photos on Moto X Play?

A

AC Question

when i take photos on my Moto X Play, they upload to my google photos, which in turn syncs to my Linux desktop.... I just tried to locate the most recent photo I took today, but whichever order i listed them, it kept appearing near the middle of the lit in my file explorer (Caja)

I notice that although the photos are taken with the same camera, they seem to have several different naming conventions, namely;
IMG_yyymmdd_nnnnnn (underscores, and nnnn does not reflect the time - sometimes 6 random numerics, sometimes 9)
IMG-yyymmnn-WAnnnn (dashes then WA followed by sequential 4 digit no. 0001, 0002 etc)
or just nnnnnnnnnnnnn.jpg (13 random numerics)

why should one photo have a different naming convention to the next one etc?!?! very confused :-/

also noticed that although the file sizes are not that big in general terms (typically between about 1.3 and 3Mb), the actual image size in pixels seems very high (eg 2448 x 3264 px)... it is my understanding that free storage on google photos is <2048 x 2048px... my camera is set to upload to google photos at the 'reduced' size rather than full original size

thanks in advance :)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for registering and welcome to the forums. Do you get the same kind of filenames if you browse using the stock file manager? Try in settings - storage & USB - internal storage - images - camera - three dots top right - list view.

I checked on my X Play and all the pictures are name as IMG_yyyyddmm_time_HDR(sometimes)
The time is 9 digits for the original photo or 6 if they were cropped from the gallery app.

RTJ Robbie

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
think i have worked it out...
IMG_yyyymmdd_nnnnnnnnn.jpg - stock camera
IMG-yyyymmdd-WAnnnn.jpeg - Whatsapp
FB_IMG_nnnnnnnnnnnnn.jpg - Facebook
xxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg - Facebook Messenger
IMG_yyyymmdd_nnnnnn.jpg - Instagram
etc......

it is a pain because i cant list by 'modified date' because this shows the date of the last time a change was saved to the image - NOT the date it was taken, which would make perfect sense... i therefore have to rely on the file name to locate images - which is equally difficult with a wild gamut of prefixes and suffixes..

each of the apps appears to use the stock camera to take pictures, so why cant they all agree to use the camera's naming convention - but by all means stick a WA, or FB or IG etc AFTER the filename so it can still be sorted in the correct order?!?!?!!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781