I won't buy the Moto X Style because it doesn't use an AMOLED display

bitfidelity

May 26, 2013
Visit site
It's frankly amazing how manufacturers always manage to [language removed by mod] up one feature from an otherwise perfect or close-to-perfect product. No AMOLED screen on a flagship? Really?

Last edited by a moderator:

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: No AMOLED, No Buy

OK, let's say that there's been a mixup and the screen isn't actually the older TFT but the the more recent IPS that's been in phones since last year. If that's the case, what's the problem? IPS LCD screens are excellent, have better outdoor viewability than amoled and aren't susceptible to burn in. Are you worried mainly about Active Display battery consumption or do you just simply prefer amoled?

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

OK, let's say that there's been a mixup and the screen isn't actually the older TFT but the the more recent IPS that's been in phones since last year. If that's the case, what's the problem? IPS LCD screens are excellent, have better outdoor viewability than amoled and aren't susceptible to burn in. Are you worried mainly about Active Display battery consumption or do you just simply prefer amoled?

Yea the problem is power consumption, since an OLED display can selectively display pixels. This being an IPS would mean that Active Display would be markedly inefficient, which kinda defeats the purpose of Active Display.

Posted via the Android Central App

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

AMOLEDs are easier to see through sunglasses.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

I can buy the power consumption point of view as being a significant issue but not this lol

He's got a point. I refuse to drive without my polarized sunglasses. This would make using the phone as a GPS a nightmare.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

He's got a point. I refuse to drive without my polarized sunglasses. This would make using the phone as a GPS a nightmare.

depends on the quality of the display. However one thing I always do in car mode is have my car mode app set to automatically adapt display to brightness

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

depends on the quality of the display. However one thing I always do in car mode is have my car mode app set to automatically adapt display to brightness

Even at 100% brightness an IPS LCD will never be as easy to see as an AMOLED screen through polarized sunglasses. The reason isn't actually brightness, it's the polarization interfering with the LCD light filters. Unless you're looking absolutely dead-on to the screen you lose a LOT.

Camaihofer

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I have a nexus 5 and csnt see the screen through my polarized Oakley sunglasses if in landscape mode..

Refuse to go throhgh this again on new phone.. May go nexus 6 or wait for new nexus

Carlos Thwaites

May 17, 2014
Visit site

Hope that the tft part is a mistake to, but looking at video reviews the screen looks high quality

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I'm really trying to understand how active display still has a purpose if it's an lcd display. Won't this use as much battery as simply turning the screen on? The whole advantage of amoled is that it only lights up the necessary pixels...

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto X Style No AMOLED, No Buy

Thank God Motorola dumped AMOLED. We can finally expect some decent displays from them.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I don't have any problem with my Amoled screen phones at all.The fact this one doesn't have Amoled isn't a deal breaker for me though.:)

noobsquared

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

I'm curious about the battery too since it can't light selective pixels but have some faith in Motorola. They usually go above and beyond with integration of components but don't market it that way. They don't use big words like Apple but they have done a lot of cool stuff. If you look at the radio on the first one and how they made the frame on 2nd one that doesn't drop signal when you hold the frame like iPhones and what not. If they put even little bit effort into integration like they usually do, you will not see any significant drop in battery life...or at least I hope.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm really trying to understand how active display still has a purpose if it's an lcd display. Won't this use as much battery as simply turning the screen on? The whole advantage of amoled is that it only lights up the necessary pixels...

Motorola has been doing Active Display/Moto Display on LCD screens on phones like the Moto E.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

You should be listening to the directions and not looking at the screen. :)

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

While I will definitely miss the deep blacks and how the screen won't blind me at night when using a dark background I won't miss the poor outdoor visibility. Samsung had always held back the best AMOLED displays for their own equipment so while the S5 made great advances in brightness and battery usage the 2014 Moto X was stuck with a screen closer to what the Note 3 had a year prior. So while I am sure the switch had a lot to do with cost I hope Motorola found a solid LCD manufacturer to replace the AMOLED tech we had all grown accustomed to.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan