Will the Moto X Pure Edition support T-Mobile VoLTE, VoWiFi and Band 12 LTE?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes. This is what we have been saying the whole time -- That is the issue... it is bugged and it will not drop down to HSPA for the call therefore you wouldn't be able to make calls at all. To 911, your mom, your gf, etc. -- No one and since you couldn't that means it would violate laws and T-Mobile isn't going to do that and get fined (hence why they care).

I have read around that there will eventually be a VoLTE update for us on T-Mobile which means Motorola and T-Mobile will have to be working together to get the phone VoLTE Certified for T-Mobile.

And it won't look for a non-T-Mobile GSM or HSPA connection because it sees that T-Mobile is available on Band 12.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Got it. I didn't know it wouldn't even attempt to switch to another type of network.

So is the issue that the Moto X doesn't support VoLTE on band 12, it doesn't work well, or just that T-Mobile hasn't certified it yet?

The issue is Motorola hasn't gone through or yet passed T-Mobile's VoLTE certification.

Every OEM that wants to use Band 12 in the US will have to go through T-Mobile's VoLTE certification whether or not T-Mobile is selling the phone.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes. This is what we have been saying the whole time

Nope. That wasn't mentioned a single time in this thread until just now. I just checked. And to add to the confusion...

If you have a phone with Band 12 on T-Mobile without T-Mobile's VoLTE, you could run into an issue where the phone will show full service but you couldn't call 911 because you could be in a place where you have 700 LTE coverage but out of range of GSM/HSPA.

This comment makes it sound like band 12 is the only coverage you'd get in this scenario, so no matter what, you couldn't place a 911 call.

Is there volte on tmo?? If not how are the speeds on it.?

Posted via the Android Central App

I don't see an option for it. It just drops to HSPA speeds so basically whatever HSPA speeds you get in the area is what you get while on the phone.

Then you make it seem like T-Mobile doesn't even have VoLTE for this phone, and the phone will drop off of LTE band 12 for HSPA+ anyway.

Sorry if I seemed difficult, but this topic wasn't very clear from the beginning. The entire time I just thought you guys were talking about a scenario where band 12 LTE on T-Mobile is the only coverage in an area, and since you can't place a 911 call with that, they disable it completely. I never got the impression band 12 LTE hindered you from connecting to another network that could.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Then you make it seem like T-Mobile doesn't even have VoLTE for this phone, and the phone will drop off of LTE band 12 for HSPA+ anyway.

I wasn't speaking for band 12 only. I was simply stating there is no VoLTE option for T-Mobile on this phone (band 12 or not).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This comment makes it sound like band 12 is the only coverage you'd get in this scenario, so no matter what, you couldn't place a 911 call.

T-Mobile coverage.

Which I later elaborated - the phone knows you have T-Mobile service thus would try to make a call on T-Mobile's network to 911. It's Band 12 LTE. But if you don't have VoLTE, the call would fail and would not look for another network to make the 911 call on because there is T-Mobile service on Band 12.

And it won't look for a non-T-Mobile GSM or HSPA connection because it sees that T-Mobile is available on Band 12.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't speaking for band 12 only. I was simply stating there is no VoLTE option for T-Mobile on this phone (band 12 or not).

Okay, so if I understand correctly, the issue is that band 12 reaches further than T-Mobile's other bands. So if you're in an area that only has band 12 on T-Mobile, but great AT&T coverage, the phone will drop LTE since it can't make VoLTE calls on T-Mobile and try to connect to T-Mobile's HSPA+/EDGE/GPRS network, fail, and not even attempt to use AT&T? But by disabling band 12, it will use any network it can find.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so if I understand correctly, the issue is that band 12 reaches further than T-Mobile's other bands. So if you're in an area that only has band 12 on T-Mobile, but great AT&T coverage, the phone will drop LTE since it can't make VoLTE calls on T-Mobile and try to connect to T-Mobile's HSPA+/EDGE/GPRS network, fail, and not even attempt to use AT&T? But by disabling band 12, it will use any network it can find.

Yes because it's a lower frequency (700 MHz).

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Not quite, but close. The issue is that it will not drop B12 LTE, that's why it won't even attempt to use AT&T to make the call.

Unfortunately, until we have a single universal VoLTE standard, this is the sort of thing we may be in for...each carrier using slightly different VoLTE protocols that are just tweaked enough to be incompatible with each other.

joevaracalli

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
moto x pure 2015 band 12

so the word on the street is that the moto x pure edition has band 12 but is turned off due to some bs about t mobile not letting users use band 12 unless the phone supports voice over lte... i can confirm that band 12 is disabled due to the fact i have the moto x next to my s6 and the signal is a significant diffrence in my house i get 4 bars lte with the s6 my moto x pure gets h 3 bars. my question is does any one have information on when motorola will update the moto x pure to support this or if any one knows how to overide it

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: moto x pure 2015 band 12

my question is does any one have information on when motorola will update the moto x pure to support this or if any one knows how to overide it

Motorola is working with T-Mobile to update the phone so it can support it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

so the word on the street is that the moto x pure edition has band 12 but is turned off due to some bs about t mobile not letting users use band 12 unless the phone supports voice over lte... i can confirm that band 12 is disabled due to the fact i have the moto x next to my s6 and the signal is a significant diffrence in my house i get 4 bars lte with the s6 my moto x pure gets h 3 bars. my question is does any one have information on when motorola will update the moto x pure to support this or if any one knows how to overide it

Motorola will turn it on after is passes T-Mobile's VoLTE certification.

This will be the case for any OEM selling an unlocked, non-carrier phone in the US with Band 12 LTE support.

joevaracalli

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

well based on the nexus 6 its gonna be a long wait almost half a year thats the time it took for google to get it through and they have a lot more resources then motorola

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

well based on the nexus 6 its gonna be a long wait almost half a year thats the time it took for google to get it through and they have a lot more resources then motorola

It isn't a resource issue .. It is a time issue.

kinggheedora

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
How do we even know that this is true? The only source I have seen stating this is a single post on some message board. How credible is the guy who made that statement? Who is he that everyone is taking his word on this issue?

I'm not saying he's lying or anything, i just don't know who he is or why people put weight behind his statement that VoLTE will be released in a future update on the Moto X Pure.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How do we even know that this is true? The only source I have seen stating this is a single post on some message board. How credible is the guy who made that statement? Who is he that everyone is taking his word on this issue?

I'm not saying he's lying or anything, i just don't know who he is or why people put weight behind his statement that VoLTE will be released in a future update on the Moto X Pure.

It has been said by the Forum Manager for Motorola.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/cab8687a11

No timeline or anything but he said they're working on it.

fourfone

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 6 was a little different in that it was supported and sold by T Mobile. They said up front that it would support band 12, VoLTE, and WiFi calling, but not at launch. The Moto X is all on Motorola to do. Not sure why they were not ahead of the game here since they had just gone through the same thing with the Nexus 6 . . . .

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Copying my post from a different thread on this topic:

For some more info on T-Mo and Band 12, here's a link to a map that has click-able points for detailed info:

Map of T-Mobile's 700 MHz spectrum

I note that a TV station in Harlan KY ( center of a dreaded red circle) locks me out of Band 12 coverage should my budget ever allow a new Pure.

:-\

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol