Will Moto X Style be available in US on AT&T Next?

Peter Rokkos

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused. Seemed like earlier in the day, articles indicated that carriers would be selling the Moto X Style. But now I'm reading will only be available from Moto or retailers. Anyone see anything about ATT carrying it?

I'm stuck with a NEXT 20 deal at the 12 month mark. So I'm in perfect position if I can turn in my LG G3 in Sept. and get a X Style. I was even hoping on a Next plan assuming a 20 month payment cycle again at about a $400 price point, my monthly payment would go down from 30 to 20 for the phone.

But if you can't get it as a new NEXT phone from ATT, then my plan fizzles and I'm stuck either paying rest of $240 remaining on G3 and hoping to sell it on eBay...then footing full bill for X.

Can anyone confirm whether carriers will sell it in the US?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Will Moto X Style be available in US on ATT Next?

I'm confused. Seemed like earlier in the day, articles indicated that carriers would be selling the Moto X Style. But now I'm reading will only be available from Moto or retailers. Anyone see anything about ATT carrying it?

I'm stuck with a NEXT 20 deal at the 12 month mark. So I'm in perfect position if I can turn in my LG G3 in Sept. and get a X Style. I was even hoping on a Next plan assuming a 20 month payment cycle again at about a $400 price point, my monthly payment would go down from 30 to 20 for the phone.

But if you can't get it as a new NEXT phone from ATT, then my plan fizzles and I'm stuck either paying rest of $240 remaining on G3 and hoping to sell it on eBay...then footing full bill for X.

I don't think anyone can confirm it atm. I think for the most part Moto wants to stay away from carriers and go directly to the consumer. At least they want to maybe test that market this time. I imagine if ATT asked them to make them a version to sell in stores then they will do just that but nothing has been announced on which or what they might carry.

It's possible they'll carry it since they have carried the last 2 versions I believe.....But we just don't know yet.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Motorola said at the launch event the new Moto X will not be sold through carriers. Obviously if this business model doesn't work that can change but I would guess it's more likely they will sell different models as carrier models if they choose that route. It's already widely expected they will launch a version of the X Play in the US as a Verizon exclusive so it's possible another similar model could launch on AT&T as well.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Motorola's software chief on talking to phones and life after Google

Engadget: So are carriers going to sell locked-down versions of the Moto X Style?

Chau: Moto X Style will be exclusively available online and in Best Buys. There are no preloads, no other versions in the US. Isn't that great? Because we can cut out the middleman, we can deliver a better price too.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Motorola's software chief on talking to phones and life after Google

Engadget: So are carriers going to sell locked-down versions of the Moto X Style?

Chau: Moto X Style will be exclusively available online and in Best Buys. There are no preloads, no other versions in the US. Isn't that great? Because we can cut out the middleman, we can deliver a better price too.

Fascinating......I love it. But I do hope it'll be sustainable and they can continue to go this route.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site

If the OP wants to stay with monthly financing, Moto offers a good deal.

Peter Rokkos

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the feedback but its less about the monthly payments than it is about getting NEXT. If I recall correctly, I have about 8 payments left at $30 a month before I pay off my LG G3. NEXT would let me replace that contract with a new phone, like a G4 under another 12/20 deal at about $32 per month. So I had hoped they would have a Moto Style perhaps for $20 per month under NEXT (20 x 20 months) that would replace the G3 contract I have. Going through Moto directly would mean I have to keep paying my G3 and pay for the Moto. I could pay off the G3 and sell on eBay I guess but had hoped to avoid that route.

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the feedback but its less about the monthly payments than it is about getting NEXT. If I recall correctly, I have about 8 payments left at $30 a month before I pay off my LG G3. NEXT would let me replace that contract with a new phone, like a G4 under another 12/20 deal at about $32 per month. So I had hoped they would have a Moto Style perhaps for $20 per month under NEXT (20 x 20 months) that would replace the G3 contract I have. Going through Moto directly would mean I have to keep paying my G3 and pay for the Moto. I could pay off the G3 and sell on eBay I guess but had hoped to avoid that route.

You will probably have to pay off G3 and sell. My personal opinion is to avoid at&t next. It's just another way to "contract" you. That way you don't fall into this G3 scenario again. I know leasing seems to be attractive but in the end more money spent is highly increased. IMO it is better to wait for a phone to go on sale or go for a friendly priced phone like moto x. By purchasing the moto x out right you will be paying $399 + tax (starting). If you wish to switch carrier, it is fully compatible with all. Just need a swap of a SIM. If you want a new phone, sell and use money towards.

Me I bought my 32 GB moto x 2013 for 300. I feel I could reasonably sell for 125-150. New moto x would be 399+tax-150 ~ 285 range to 300
Or
I could do moto x 2014 for 100 less than above.
Or
I could continue using my 2013 moto x and pay $0. It's all a numbers game and I like 0

Avoiding at&t next and going for sales or already cheaper phones is best. That's just my opinion though.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Direct from the OEM is what we wanted. :)

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

The monthly payments and insurance part is what will help a lot to make this work for people who'd rather buy subsidized from their carrier

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The monthly payments and insurance part is what will help a lot to make this work for people who'd rather buy subsidized from their carrier

Good thing Motorola offers both too.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Moto is being aggressive in the price point, look at a 2014 Moto X on AT&T and one from Motorola directly, AT&T only offers 16GB version for about $100+ more than Motorola does. I wouldn't buy it from them and I do like Next it offers trade in without a hassle but you can always get a Moto Credit Card and sign up for 12-18 Months Interest Free promo so you get the same benefit as Next just no trade in but you can keep it and get another phone from AT&T on Next if you want.

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

I think Motorola offers financing direct from their site. That might be the only workaround.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

I think Motorola offers financing direct from their site. That might be the only workaround.

They do, and it would take less than 20 months to pay off the phone at $25 per month. Of course, the 0% likely only lasts for a year so it's more like $40 per month if you spend $500 on the phone.

Demi9OD

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

I am in the exact same boat Peter. NEXT 12 with 11/20 total payments made, $33.5/month for my HTC One M8. Having spent $400 and with $270 remaining, I'll be eligible to upgrade. It makes no sense to pay off the M8, as I will not be able to fetch $270 for it on eBay. Instead I will buy a Moto X Pure from Motorola, and 'upgrade' to the cheapest phone from AT&T, currently the Nokia Lumia 635 for $100. The Lumia will collect dust in a sock drawer. On NEXT 12 this will reduce my monthly cost to $5 (20 months) for the Lumia, and end up saving me $170 in the long run.

It is not ideal but I can finally get away from carrier branded phone forever. I hope the Motorola off-carrier model continues to work and spread.

Peter Rokkos

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

I am in the exact same boat Peter. NEXT 12 with 11/20 total payments made, $33.5/month for my HTC One M8. Having spent $400 and with $270 remaining, I'll be eligible to upgrade. It makes no sense to pay off the M8, as I will not be able to fetch $270 for it on eBay. Instead I will buy a Moto X Pure from Motorola, and 'upgrade' to the cheapest phone from AT&T, currently the Nokia Lumia 635 for $100. The Lumia will collect dust in a sock drawer. On NEXT 12 this will reduce my monthly cost to $5 (20 months) for the Lumia, and end up saving me $170 in the long run.

It is not ideal but I can finally get away from carrier branded phone forever. I hope the Motorola off-carrier model continues to work and spread.

Interesting approach - upgrade to the cheapest NEXT offered model in order to get out of the existing NEXT contract I have. Didn't think of that one. Great idea. Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma