Moto X Style: 16GB or 32GB storage?

flimbo

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
My moto x is 16 gb, but I am thinking about getting the new moto x with 32 gb.

Any answer please to a question.

Since the new moto x has a memory card slot for a card up to 128 gb's, is there any point in paying extra for a 32gb phone?

Is there any real advantage in having the memory in the phone rather than on a card?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: 16 or 32 gb's

My moto x is 16 gb, but I am thinking about getting the new moto x with 32 gb.

Any answer please to a question.

Since the new moto x has a memory card slot for a card up to 128 gb's, is there any point in paying extra for a 32gb phone?

Is there any real advantage in having the memory in the phone rather than on a card?

Yeah, some apps can't be saved to SD card. So if you plan on using your phone for gaming or what not it might be better to have the internal storage. But for the most part you'll usually be able to get by with the 16gb. Back in the day I hated having 2 patricians personally....it's been a while since I've used an SD card so maybe it's a smoother experience. But since for the most part Google has swayed away from SD cards, I do kinda doubt it's perfectly seamless.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Well internal memory is faster and more reliable. Also apps are more reliable when running on internal.

For example on my g4 saving burst shots on the sd card on my sd takes a very long time.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I will be getting a 32 GB I believe -- the 16 GB just sounds too small for me .. and the 64 just seems overkill. I am lucky and have unlimited data so I stream a ton of content which helps with saving space. I only download my huge playlists from Google Play Music to my device when going on road trips where I will hit "edge" spots.

That is my main use for the memory... well that and pictures. I backup my pics online though so if I had to remove some one day due to space I could without worry.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure which way I'm going to go. With the SD card changes in Android M, a person could quickly boost their internal storage by formatting the SD card. Granted, you would lose the ability to use the SD card in other devices, but you it would increase internal storage.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm going with the 32 gig. My 2013 Moto X is 32 gigs and I have never wanted for more with it. The SD card will help on the Style as I can make sure my pictures/vids load to it before they are uploaded to the cloud and won't have to be so diligent about deleting them on my phone.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I will be getting a 32 GB I believe -- the 16 GB just sounds too small for me .. and the 64 just seems overkill. I am lucky and have unlimited data so I stream a ton of content which helps with saving space. I only download my huge playlists from Google Play Music to my device when going on road trips where I will hit "edge" spots.

That is my main use for the memory... well that and pictures. I backup my pics online though so if I had to remove some one day due to space I could without worry.

same here, still on grandfathered VZ unlimited (plus 27% discount and $15 off for bringing my own phone). the 32GB is perfect for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I'm aiming for 32GB. Don't forget how big those pictures and videos will be so 16GB + SD Card could lead to a lot of moving of media. Personally, I'd use an SD Card for music, and only music. I had too many problems with EVERY SD Card I've ever used in any mobile device to want to have to rely on one.

mttmks

May 9, 2013
Visit site

I'm buying the 64GB so I can maximize storage capacity.

64+128=192GB.

*heavy breathing*

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

64Gb.... whats another $50?....;)

Since you can offload all of your pictures and music to an SD card, I would rather spend $50 on a 128 gig card and get the 32 gig model of the phone. My current original Moto X is 32 gigs and I have never had any need for more than that. But, I don't store any music on it and I upload all of my pictures and videos to Google photos and then delete them off my phone. I stream my music. I am a lucky grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan user.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I always go big, get the full 64GB with a 128GB microSD (or I may use my 64GB microSD) but you can't add more internal storage where apps are kept so for a few bucks more 64GB is better.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm probably going with 32GB.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Is the memory card slot optional?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Yeah you don't have to use an SD card.

I think I overheard that the SD slot was optional via Motomaker.

I hope they were referring to selling you a memory card rather than upselling you on the slot.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I think I overheard that the SD slot was optional via Motomaker.

I hope they were referring to selling you a memory card rather than upselling you on the slot.

To my knowledge you get the SD card no matter what -- buying an SD card though is optional. Kind of like my G4.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

I think I will decide once we know how much usable space we will get on the new Moto X. My 2014 Moto X has 10.2GB of usable storage which has been fine (I still have around 2.5GB remaining) and the only thing I would do with more storage would be to have more offline music in Google Music, keep more pictures on my phone, and more videos via Plexsync. All three of these things would work perfectly on an SD card of which I already have a very good 32GB one so as long as the usable space stays around 10-11GB I will likely save the $50 and stick with 16GB.

razortaz18

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

same here, still on grandfathered VZ unlimited (plus 27% discount and $15 off for bringing my own phone). the 32GB is perfect for me.

How are you getting the $15 off with an unlimited data plan? I was told customer service it was unavailable for those of us with unlimited data.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

How are you getting the $15 off with an unlimited data plan? I was told customer service it was unavailable for those of us with unlimited data.

I'm getting a discount on my unlimited data plans because of my employee discount through my employer. I pay $14.99 a month on both my lines for unlimited data.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12