Moto X Style: Can Moto Voice be disabled?

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Can Moto voice easily be disabled? And if so, would google now voice still work? I would like to only use google for voice commands. Thinking about getting the new moto x but I wanted to make sure of this first. Thanks

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Can moto voice be disabled

Can Moto voice easily be disabled? And if so, would google now voice still work? I would like to only use google for voice commands. Thinking about getting the new moto x but I wanted to make sure of this first. Thanks

Yes it can be disabled, but it uses Google search so idk why you'd want to shut off the always listening command. It's better imo. But I'm pretty sure it can be disabled.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

Yes it can be disabled, but it uses Google search so idk why you'd want to shut off the always listening command. It's better imo. But I'm pretty sure it can be disabled.

I would not use the voice commands that much. And when I do I prefer going straight to Google voice rather than through Moto voice as I read there is a slight delay when it transfers to google. And doesn't having moto voice always on drain battery?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I would not use the voice commands that much. And when I do I prefer going straight to Google voice rather than through Moto voice as I read there is a slight delay when it transfers to google. And doesn't having moto voice always on drain battery?

I don't think it affects the battery too much but then again Moto batteries have never been overly impressive so it's hard to tell. You can always use both, try it out and see how you like it. Sometimes hands free is just more convenient.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

I don't think it affects the battery too much but then again Moto batteries have never been overly impressive so it's hard to tell. You can always use both, try it out and see how you like it. Sometimes hands free is just more convenient.

So if I understand you correctly you are saying Moto voice CAN be disabled then I can just use google now voice like I could on any other Android device?

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Yes, you can disable it. You go into the Moto (fka "Assist") app and simply toggle the Voice option to "off" and it's done. The "OK Google" command still works on the home screens but you can disable that from the Language & Input menu.

Michael Amick

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Select the Moto app, then select the gear icon in the upper right corner. Then touch the voice button in the lower left. Then you have 3 options to choose from.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Definitely can disable it. I have to say though that Moto voice is absolutely awesome IMO and one of the reasons I chose to stay with Motorola over Samsung.

I had some of the delay you mention with my Turbo, but the improvement with this phone is impressive. It works quickly and accurately for me.....absolutely love it!

Posted via the Android Central App

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
So in turn, can Google voice be disabled so that just moto voice is active?

Posted via the Android Central App on my Moto X Pure

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
So in turn, can Google voice be disabled so that just moto voice is active?

Posted via the Android Central App on my Moto X Pure

I believe if you have Moto voice activated it automatically cancels out Google voice.

Somebody correct if I'm wrong about that, but I've never had to disable Google voice to use Moto.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I believe if you have Moto voice activated it automatically cancels out Google voice.

Somebody correct if I'm wrong about that, but I've never had to disable Google voice to use Moto.

That is true.

However, if you click on the microphone in any of the Google search bars, or the microphone on the keyboard, you access Google voice directly.