How does Moto Care work?

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone,

So I'm considering for the first time ever, not buying a phone from T-Mobile with their insurance plan, and getting the Moto X Pure straight from Motorola. I was wondering, how does Moto's Warranty/Insurance work? Especially if I didn't get a case cause it looks so nice and I dropped/cracked it, how would getting it repaired work and what would it cost? Anyone know?

Thanks

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto Warranty?

Hey everyone,

So I'm considering for the first time ever, not buying a phone from T-Mobile with their insurance plan, and getting the Moto X Pure straight from Motorola. I was wondering, how does Moto's Warranty/Insurance work? Especially if I didn't get a case cause it looks so nice and I dropped/cracked it, how would getting it repaired work and what would it cost? Anyone know?

Thanks
They have an extended warranty program https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/101900

G4'ed it!

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

"Moto Care Accident Protection coverage offers you piece of mind for when life happens.

Two years of coverage including:

- up to 3 claims with a low deductible
- no shipping costs or hidden fees
- accidental damage
- extended mechanical coverage"

I believe the deductible is $35.00

Posted via the Android Central App

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site

Use Square Trade for my N6 right now. Moto sounds good, but check out Square trade for their particular deal. They sent me full money right away for an expensive tv repair. No BS.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

Use Square Trade for my N6 right now. Moto sounds good, but check out Square trade for their particular deal. They sent me full money right away for an expensive tv repair. No BS.

Oh yea, I've used squaretrade before too. I didn't even think of them. I guess I'll see which is best if and when I decide to go with the moto

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

How much does moto care cost up front?

I believe it was $85 for my 2014 X. When I broke my screen I paid $35 for the deductible, they gave me a code to design a new phone on moto maker. When I received my new phone I put the broken one in the box and shipped it back to them.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Forgot about them! Don't know how as I just had to file a claim for my son's tablet LOL But, yeah - they are a good way to go for sure!

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

Don't forget if you have to go through Moto for a WARRANTY replacement of any kind they charge you a $25 processing fee. It's a total bull crap fee but you will have to pay it if you want another phone. In addition to that if you want them to send you out a device before you send yours back they make you give them a credit card and they place a hold for $500 plus tax on the card until you send the device back...

Last edited:

cwise2222

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site

The credit card hold is standard for any company doing an advanced exchange to make sure you return the broken device like you say you will. That is just good business practice when you are sending someone out a $400 phone for an exchange and you haven't gotten anything back yet.

I can't find anything about the processing fee is the Motorola warranty info other the references to wanting an advanced exchange as opposed to waiting for it to be repaired. I'm pretty sure Motorola will fix the phone for free, but it if you just outright asked for a replacement phone, then you get changed. If you are ok with waiting to get the phone fixed then I don't think they charge you anything.

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

They call the $24.99 a "premium fee" and they charge it when you want them to send you a device before you send yours in. You can do it without the hold and without the "premium fee" if you want to send your phone in and get another one back in about 2 weeks. Unfortunately most of us don't have spare phones laying around so that we are able to send it in and be without a phone for 2+ weeks...

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Don't forget if you have to go through Moto for a WARRANTY replacement of any kind they charge you a $25 processing fee. It's a total bull crap fee but you will have to pay it if you want another phone. In addition to that if you want them to send you out a device before you send yours back they make you give them a credit card and they place a hold for $500 plus tax on the card until you send the device back...

I fully expect a company to put a hold on my credit card when doing an advance exchange. I would be surprised if they didn't. As for the "premium" fee, I assume that has something to do with getting an advance exchange on a standard warranty as opposed to the extended warranty this thread has been discussing.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I didn't pay a dime for any of my 2013 models that I exchanged over the front facing camera grommet "debacle". I guess things have changed 😔

Posted via Android Central App

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

I also didn't have to pay. I sent my dev edition 2013 X to get repaired because it developed those infamous cracks along the back casing. Took about a month to get an X back. In the end, they just replaced mine with a new one and I also ended up getting another one for free. Which I would assume was for the delay? Not sure, but I was happy after going a month without it.

Posted via the AC app

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

It's something new within the last few months. I just had to have mine replaced under warranty. the $25 is only for warranty repairs where they send you a device prior to you sending your device back. If you file a claim and pay the deductible you aren't subject to the $25 fee

Riccardo C

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

I just checked them out(square trade) they have no lost or stolen protection ... I dont think its worth it for 99 bucks for 2 years ... most people file a claim for lost or stolen items..