808 in the Moto X Style? I heard it stutters in the LG G4.

mvasquez009

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I've heard that the snapdragon 808 stutters on the lg g4 is this true? Is the 808 a good chip and good choice to have put in the upcoming Moto device? Why wouldn't they have gone with something newer?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: 808 in the Moto X style

The 808 is very new. My wife has a G4, so far no complaints about performance - she just thinks it is too big. Seeing the 808 in the Moto was a good thing from my point of view - good chip, good device, all is good :)

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: 808 in the Moto X style

I've heard that the snapdragon 808 stutters on the lg g4 is this true? Is the 808 a good chip and good choice to have put in the upcoming Moto device? Why wouldn't they have gone with something newer?
No one seems to have a definitive answer, but I think most stuttering / lag on devices nowadays are caused by manufacturer skins like TouchWiz or whatever LG calls theirs. Assuming that's true, its more the poorly coded skin than the 808 that should be at fault. At least that's what I'm praying when I jump from my Note 4 to the 808 having Moto X Pure haha

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: 808 in the Moto X Style? I heard is stutters in the LG G4.

The 808 is an excellent SoC and any lag or stutter you see on any phone that is powered by one is caused by the software running it. My wife has a G4 and, to be honest, yes, at certain times there might be a few burps or hiccups, but I really only notice them since I myself have a Nexus 6, which is smooth as silk. The 808 is pretty much as powerful as the 805 in my Nexus 6 (and Note 4 for that matter). It's fine.

Every since the Snapdragon 800 launched, phones are plenty fast. At this point, any phone that has some stutters, well, it's the OEM that wrote the kernel and optimized the graphics. That's why early software versions of the 801-powered G3 were a little rough.. .it was the first time LG ventured into QHD land, so it took a bit to optimize the graphics drivers, kernel, etc. Later versions, especially those built on the international base (for some reason, the US versions were always junk), they were pretty fluid and ran well.

On most devices, 'lag' is often just a matter of the OEM coding an extremely conservative governor and that lag you see is a bit of delay in the phone cranking up the processor speed. They sacrificed overall performance to reduce power consumption. You don't want these things running a full throttle all the time.

I am quite confident that the 808-powered Moto Pure is going to be a very smooth and nice-running device. Motorola spends a lot of effort making sure that their system modifications don't get in the way of the phone doing its thing. Everyone always would say that they optimized the Moto X to run better than it should... No... they optimized their software to NOT screw it up.

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

You guys have it covered but I'm just gonna reinforce all that you're saying. I have a G4 and it is definitely lag city. My OG Moto X runs better than this thing, and I have no definitive proof, but in my opinion it is definitely the result of something LG related and not the fault of the processor.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Agree with with everything that everyone said about skins causing lag. Just look at the Moto G running virtually stock Android. Smooth as silk. Even with its puny little Snapdragon 410. My original moto X is smooth as silk still after almost 2 years. Ever since KitKat, it seems that google has got Android right and when you're running virtually stock Android it runs as Google intended. The only reason Samsung and LG need 3 or 4 gigs of ram is because their skins need it, not because Android needs it.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

True stuff that UI skins and bloat can cause cache, queue and memory access issues. Resource porkers! Touch Wiz on the the Note 4 can get laggy unless you kill the bloat. I notice the bloat though on Samsung devices is more the culprit and folks seem to not realize that Android "learns" usage patterns and then interferes by app caching and polling tasks that results in MORE lag. A lot of people loving their Note 5 will start griping in about a month or two.

Almost all Android devices behave when out of box, stock reset or a new rom installed- It is because Android has not had time to screw things up yet :)