Moto X Style: Why is it so heavy?

MobileNick

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Silly question maybe, but has anyone looked into why the X Style is so heavy? Compared to other large phones such as S6 Edge + or LG G4, physical dimensions are similar but the X Style is quite a bit heavier. It's even heavier than the Galaxy Note 4/5 by a few grams. Did they just use thicker structural parts without optimizing for weight?

X Style: 179 grams
LG G4: 155 grams
S6 Edge+: 153 grams
Note 4: 176 grams
Note 5: 171 grams

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why so heavy?

The frame might be a little heavier. The dual front speakers might also have something to do with it, as well.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

The 2014 X was friggin' indestructible with it's metal frame so it doesn't surprise me a bit that the large XPE will weigh this much considering the larger frame involved. And I'm totally okay with that. I don't like phones that feel helium filled; I want a little heft to my device. It's not like it's going to tear a hole in my pocket or be heavy enough to use for bench presses.

MobileNick

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the replies. I was just curious because it seemed heavier than it's counterparts but I did not read any previews where people commented on the weight and that it might be more sturdy. Agreed - much prefer a solid build to a flimsy device.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

My HTC Rezound was right around 6.0 oz with a 4.3" 720p Screen (one of the earliest ones) and a paltry 1650mah removable battery.

The thing was built like a tank for a plastic phone. In my opinion it was in mostly due to the screen and making sure it wasn't more fragile and susceptible to cracking than other phones. Subsequent 720p phones got lighter pretty quickly.

That was not a thin LCD panel either, so maybe the screen itself was bigger and heavier than later panels.

As pointed out above for the X Style, it could just be the bigger case and more metal for the larger frame dimensions. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this screen weighs a bit more per square inch than the 2014 screen.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I've owned several Motorola phones over the years including the last three phones I have had. They all have seemed a bit heavier than other phones. I guess the trade off for that is a phone that feels rock solid and none of them have ever had any problems or issues for me. I work outside in very harsh environments and my Motorola phones have always gone through the rough stuff I put them through without any issues.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10