Moto X Pure Edition vs. Nexus 6

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Hello AC fellows,

I ordered a moto x pure 64gb edition yesterday but my friend is offering mint nexus 6 32gb for $300. Is moto x pure huge upgrade over nexus 6? I can save about $250 if I buy a nexus 6. What ya guys think? I really like amoled screen so I tempted.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Re: Moto x pure 2015 or Nexus 6

I love my Nexus 6, but I can't stand to be without the Moto enhancements any longer. Form factor-wise, they're almost the same phone. Most notably, Moto Display (with IR sensors) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ambient Display (without IR sensors)

Seriously, when they announced the new Pure Edition, it was like Motorola had been reading my wish-list for what the Nexus 6 needs added (or taken away, in the case of the phone's width) in order to be my perfect phone.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

I love my Nexus 6, but I can't stand to be without the Moto enhancements any longer. Form factor-wise, they're almost the same phone. Most notably, Moto Display (with IR sensors) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ambient Display (without IR sensors)

Seriously, when they announced the new Pure Edition, it was like Motorola had been reading my wish-list for what the Nexus 6 needs added (or taken away, in the case of the phone's width) in order to be my perfect phone.
I don't use IR sensors at all. What purpose do you use it for? Moto enhancement is good but I really don't mind stock android.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site

Project Fi is a plus with the Nexus. I have a Project Fi invite, but I'd rather have the Moto X. Hopefully Google allows more phones.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Nexus 6 is a good phone. It's wider and the camera wont be as good. But you have android M coming real quick. Any of us could have saved $200 by going to swappa for a nexus 6 (they are selling for $350 now). I imagine we all had reasons we chose to spend the extra money.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

Nexus 6 is a good phone. It's wider and the camera wont be as good. But you have android M coming real quick. Any of us could have saved $200 by going to swappa for a nexus 6 (they are selling for $350 now). I imagine we all had reasons we chose to spend the extra money.
Man.. Maybe I need to wait for new nexus 5/6.

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site

I don't use IR sensors at all. What purpose do you use it for? Moto enhancement is good but I really don't mind stock android.

I was very quickly spoiled by the 2014 Moto X's IR sensors and Moto Display. When in meetings (or any other time), I could simply wave my hand over my phone and see the clock and any pending notifications. With the Nexus 6 with Ambient Display and no IR sensors, I have to actually move the phone, and even then, it's a crapshoot as to whether the clock and pending notifications will actually flash on the screen.

Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE stock Android, but the Moto features make it better without changing it, IMO.

Rem3Dy

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

IR sensor not IR blaster which is what you are thinking. The sensors detect your hands movement over the phone to turn on the notifications when the screen is off.

Posted via the Android Central App

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site

Also, I soured on the 2014 Moto X after Motorola rushed the 5.0 update. It killed my battery life and rendered Moto Assist unreliable at best. That's why I jumped to the Nexus 6.

Given the fantastic 5.1 update for the 2014 Moto X, and Motorola leadership's public statements, I'm inclined to believe they've learned their lesson about trying to rush out updates. I'm looking forward to Marshmallow, but I'll happily wait until they get it right before receiving it on my 2015 Pure Edition.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

IR sensor not IR blaster which is what you are thinking. The sensors detect your hands movement over the phone to turn on the notifications when the screen is off.

You're right. I thought it was IR blaster in my head lol. I hope moto x pure works for me. Looks like a lot nexus 6 owners are switching to moto x pure 2015.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

You're right. I thought it was IR blaster in my head lol. I hope moto x pure works for me. Looks like a lot nexus 6 owners are switching to moto x pure 2015.

I'm switching from a Nexus 6 to an MXPure. The only thing I'm mad about losing is the wireless charging. I use that like it's going out of style. Otherwise, I'm excited to finally leave the Nexus. I love stock Android, but no matter how long I've had this, I just can't get passed the size of it. It's really that the phone is just so flippin' wide. It's really difficult to use. The MXPure is much thinner, and I think it'll feel much better in the hand. Plus, the camera should be better in most situations, not to mention MUCH faster to load.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I'm keeping my N6......and bought a Moto X Pure.....

I have the N6 on Project Fi. I have my Unlimited Verizion SIM waiting for the Moto X Pure. I figure, I own the N6 outright, and Project Fi Costs me like $24 a month if I don't use any data......so I don't really have much to lose. I'm of the opinion that the correct answer is "Get Both" (any fellow Arfcom members will chuckle at that one).

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

I'm keeping my N6......and bought a Moto X Pure.....

I have the N6 on Project Fi. I have my Unlimited Verizion SIM waiting for the Moto X Pure. I figure, I own the N6 outright, and Project Fi Costs me like $24 a month if I don't use any data......so I don't really have much to lose. I'm of the opinion that the correct answer is "Get Both" (any fellow Arfcom members will chuckle at that one).
What would you do if you're forced to pick one? Lets pretend that they both works with project fi.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

What would you do if you're forced to pick one? Lets pretend that they both works with project fi.

I can't answer that question right now, as I don't have (and therfore haven't used) the Pure yet. I'll answer that question after using it for a week.

RK928

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Not sure I'd blame Motorola on that, my Google edition HTC One died shortly after the disastrous 5.0 update from Google, I had to send it back to HTC and it cost me $90.00 to resurrect it. The 5.0 update was a disaster all around, as far as I can tell, no matter the manufacturer -- even Google.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21