Who plans to unlock/root?

Will you unlock and root your Moto X Pure Edition/Style?

• Total voters

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
So this will be an unlockable and rootable device. Anyone planning on doing that?

Personally I haven't seen a need since the 2013 moto x killed my flashaholicism. I may unlock simply because if I decide to later you have to wipe your device. But I'll probably leave it alone.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I definitely plan to...even if it's just for backing up apps. But of course I wouldn't rule out flashing a ROM if/when something interesting comes along.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Same here on apps over flashing roms. If I were to root it would be to run an ad blocker. I buy the paid versions of apps that have that option available but some mobile websites are darn near unusable with all the annoying ads (and I work in the digital advertising industry).

trenchkato

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I will root for sure as I hate mobile ads. I'll probably unlock the bootloader just in case but I'm not planning on ROMing. After 3 generations on nexus, I'm ready for something that just works.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I plan on root, mainly to theme things like the navigation bar buttons and notification bar icons. Maybe some fonts too. I love CM theme engine (and all the amazing themes out there in the play store) so if there would ever be a stable build of CM, I may flash a ROM. Otherwise, root will help with my theming desires.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'll definitely unlock and root, for apps instead of flashing ROMs

Once in awhile I'll watch a TV show via Netflix or Hulu and be worried about falling asleep early. I don't want it still streaming all night. There is an app called Auto Reboot that let's me set a specific time for the phone to reboot. It's easier for me than using Tasker. You just need to Grant it permission the first time you use it.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.pereira.autoreboot&hl=en&token=56CYZ0VS

Titanium Backup and Root Explorer are two apps that every root user should have IMO.

Lastly, I'll continue to use Root so I can get access to all those blacked out MLB and NFL games.
I've already paid for the content legitimately, so I don't feel like I am stealing if I decide to watch a local game.

Quick question: Does anyone know if Moto still provides access to the custom stock images with developer devices? I hope so.

I haven't had to recover from any bootloops recently, but, since I am rooted, the OTAs never install correctly on my Nexus 6. I am always downloading the custom images fro Google and updating myself.

Thanks again to Clocks for reaching out to Moto support to clarify that the warranty would also remain intact. I am glad they are treating this like a developer device.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ever since the original DROID, I never felt the need to. I like Motorola's software and experience. No reason to change it.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Same here on apps over flashing roms. If I were to root it would be to run an ad blocker. I buy the paid versions of apps that have that option available but some mobile websites are darn near unusable with all the annoying ads (and I work in the digital advertising industry).
That's the same as me. I want to root in order to use adblock on all web browsers, not just on Firefox. I also buy apps I like to get rid of ads.

I also want to get the most out of ES File Explorer and Titanium Backup Pro, both of which require root.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Quick question: Does anyone know if Moto still provides access to the custom stock images with developer devices?
I believe they do, but it sometimes takes several weeks IIRC. Therefore if you're doing anything crazy you might want to wait until the stock images are available.

The Harrington

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

You took the words right out of my mouth.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The whole reason I'm going with this phone is because it seems like it will be great as is. I don't even plan on installing Nova (my first time in 5 phones haha). So no. No root for me.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Must root for AdAway! Possibly Xposed too, but not too sure on that yet
I'm still waiting for Xposed Framework to get out of alpha for Lollipop 5.1.1.

Update: I installed Xposed on my Nexus 7, and it's stable on Lollipop 5.1.1.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
been rooting and flashing roms for 3 years and never went back to the original rom. this is why i dont mind moto running near stock, i dont miss any of those features Samsung or lg had..

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Left doing that around a year back or so !!! No time and patience for tinkering, like to use a phone that just works.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I feel that rooting any phone is a must for me. TiBackup and Root Explorer are what I use. Now if they have a cross platform backup/restore function and ability to see all files and folders then I would have no need for root.

linkboy

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I'll root for xposed, just to install gravity box, just to get the circle battery icon.

Probably pass on a custom romantic (currently running cyanogenmod on my nexus 5).

Posted via the Android Central App

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Depends how card writes are treated with M and how long it takes for M to be released. I recall Lollipop beta had card writes enabled and was killed for the public release. The only other reason I would root is to kill bloat, but Package Disabler does that very well with no root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay