Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition here!

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition (Moto X Style) here!

Disagree. Motorola called it a "top rated" camera citing a source that ranks it in the neighborhood of Samsung and iPhone devices.

Mod edit: Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

So you're up in arms about this b/c a company is trying to sell their product? I don't think you're really putting things into context. Let's just agree to disagree b/c I don't think you're going to get it.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Let's not get too excited about the camera. Found this, which has always been the Motorola camera achilles heel--motion blur.

Moto X Pure - Album on Imgur

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo with Tapatalk Pro.

I've experienced that w/ a lot of phones I have used. Did they use the flash b/c I'm guessing not. Pictures, indoor, taken using their flash usually reduces blur by quite a bit.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Imagine a company making a promotional claim about their product. The actual phrase used during the launch was "best in class" fwiw. Their class is a $450 one for 32gb, not $700.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

So you're up in arms about this b/c a company is trying to sell their product? I don't think you're really putting things into context. Let's just agree to disagree b/c I don't think you're going to get it.

I get it just fine. Motorola wants to bill this phone as something that can compete with the big boys, but whenever anyone brings up it's deficiencies the defense is, "well it's only $400." Right. You get what you pay for.

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

It can "compete with the big boys." At its core, a camera is a lens and an image sensor, and these are all in the same league. The rest is software.

The only differences I'm seeing are due to white balance. Even expensive DSLRs vary in white balance. It also happens to be easily correctable in software. Motion blur happens when you use too slow of a shutter speed, and is easily corrected by setting it faster.

I'm guessing folks are looking to use strict auto mode, otherwise they'd be adjusting these settings to get the shots they want. Auto mode is nothing more than software choosing your exposure settings for you. If you're unhappy with the choices the built-in camera app makes, why not try another app?

-- Rob

Last edited:

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

It can "compete with the big boys." At its core, a camera is a lens and an image sensor, and these are all in the same league. The rest is software.

The only differences I'm seeing are due to white balance. Even expensive DSLRs vary in white balance. It also happens to be easily correctable in software. Motion blur happens when you use too slow of a shutter speed, and is easily corrected by setting it faster.

I'm guessing folks are looking to use strict auto mode, otherwise they'd be adjusting these settings to get the shots they want. Auto mode is nothing more than software choosing your exposure settings for you. If you're unhappy with the choices the built-in camera app makes, why not try another app?

-- Rob

Hopefully they can improve the software with an update then. I think you're right, by and large average Joe customer is using the auto mode; they probably don't know or care enough about photography to know what settings they need to dive into to get a great shot, just want to point and shoot.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

Hopefully they can improve the software with an update then. I think you're right, by and large average Joe customer is using the auto mode; they probably don't know or care enough about photography to know what settings they need to dive into to get a great shot, just want to point and shoot.

You are pretty much correct in your statements about cameras. What you fail to consider is the very limited manual controls in the Pure. It has been posted several times by others that the phone does not support access to the APK 2 for manual camera operations. IMHO since the camera APK 2 was included in Lollipop, it is not likely to be added later in an update to this camera. This is not serious issue for me since for serious photography I use a CAMERA not a phone camera. Others have their own habits.

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

You are pretty much correct in your statements about cameras. What you fail to consider is the very limited manual controls in the Pure. It has been posted several times by others that the phone does not support access to the APK 2 for manual camera operations. IMHO since the camera APK 2 was included in Lollipop, it is not likely to be added later in an update to this camera. This is not serious issue for me since for serious photography I use a CAMERA not a phone camera. Others have their own habits.

I use a real camera as well. I wasn't aware of the API issue, but I'm sure most people wouldn't use manual controls, anyway. I know I probably wouldn't. White balance, noise, and exposure can all be corrected after-the-fact, though, and most who are interested in the best possible pictures are willing to take that extra step.

-- Rob

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Where have you seen photos side by side with a note 5? That would be news to me.

In what areas do you feel the note 5 is 5 to 10 percent better?
the photos in question are earlier in this thread and its a note 4. I never said anything about a note 5. but I doubt a note 5 is more than 10 percent better than this phone in ANY area. lets not forget the note 5 doesn't offer a sd slot. I agree in some ways the note 5 is better but I highly doubt its good enough to warrant 50% more money over this phone. and keep in mind ive owned all the notes up to the 5 and I generally have had good luck with them but they are not without there down falls.
the days of the subsidized phone are slowly coming to an end and whenever it does you will start seeing all phones come down in price.
there is really no reason to be paying 600 to 800 for a cell phone its crazy. a whole laptop can be had for less money. the tech in cell phones has matured prices should be coming down.

Fyahstarter

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

Agreed. Washed out and desaturated as if there was still a film over the lens. Poor contrast.

Fyahstarter

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

2015-09-14 19.32.40.jpg

This picture of Harvey Weinstein is far from perfect lighting conditions but its my first good pic. I've only just started playing with the phone.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Heavy noise on the walls but still, much, much better from what Moto once was. HDR on?

mona5804

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Not too shabby.. Better than iPhone 6 camera for sure.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 1730.jpg
    1730.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 1729.jpg
    1729.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 1736.jpg
    1736.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 65

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

In daylight, this looks on point!! Love it. Still want more indoor photos though. Looking extremely promising though!

Thanks again everyone for all the time you're taking to take these pics, upload them to whatever and share them here. I appreciate it and I think I speak for more when i say that :)

I know a lot of people said they were going to get their's on the 15th so hopefully we see this thread flooded in the next few days!

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site

Most cameras are really good at taking outdoor pics. Moto has had terrible indoor pics in the past, so far it doesn't seem to have gotten too much better with the pictures shown on here. Maybe a software update will make them better.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: How am I supposed to transfer files between my phone and my PC if it doesn't come with a USB cab

Indoor shots. In my office cube. Shelves are shadowed a bit. Fluorescent in the ceilings.

Tap to focus enabled.
Auto HDR enabled.
Flash OFF.

qTVOn9d.jpg

g8A8U9Y.jpg

Xk4yZwR.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci