If I set up my Moto X Pure Edition before putting in my Verizon SIM, is tethering not blocked?

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Can one of you techies explain to me about setting up the phone before inserting my SIM card (from my current Moto X 2013)?

I came across a reddit (unfortunately a day late, so I couldn't ask a question) where someone who had already got his Pure was answering questions, and he noted he set up his phone before inserting his SIM card. He and some of the other participants said they had heard this allowed you to bypass VZW's tethering restrictions for a service like FoxFi, but they didn't really go into any detail about it.

What exactly did they mean by setting it up before the SIM? Does it simply mean downloading your Google account and apps to the phone over wifi before putting in the SIM and connecting to VZW?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Setting up the Pure before inserting the SIM card?

There is no need to use foxfi. All of Verizon's current plans include hotspot. For older plans, like unlimited data then you can get the hotspot addon.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Madestric

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

I'm on Verizon's unlimited data plan, what is the hotspot addon? Thanks

Edit: Nm, read it in another thread.

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I'm on VZ Unlimited too. I don't really use my phone as a wifi hotspot enough to justify the $30/month (I think that's what they charge for VZ hotspot?) so was hoping I could just use FoxFi for the few times I do. Oh well.
But to my original question - were they talking about simply putting your Google info onto the phone over wifi before connecting to VZ with the SIM? How would that change anything, or is it just an urban myth?

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
re:

When the phone is first setup, lollipop has the ability to tailor itself according to the carrier's sim. For example, downloading vzw messenger or the Verizon app (for checking data/minutes used). The nexus 6 has this capability, but whether or not it actually does anything differently if you set the phone up before putting sim in, I don't know.

Whether or not it would bypass any installation of a hotspot verification, I don't know, but I kind of doubt it. I never heard about that possibility with the nexus 6. But it is easy enough to do, so I think I'll try it. (I'm on unlimited and occasionally like to tether). There is at least one report of it working on here, but it may just be that that person has hotspot tethering on their plan.

If that trick doesn't work, i am planning on using the trick I used with my nexus 6 on Verizon to enable tethering: unlock bootloader (warning: this wipes the phone memory and possibly voids warranty - see the other thread here), then modify build.prop file by adding one line: net.tethering.noprovisioning=true
That small addition on the nexus 6 enables tethering without checking with Verizon, I'm sure it will work on the moto x too.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm on VZ Unlimited too. I don't really use my phone as a wifi hotspot enough to justify the $30/month (I think that's what they charge for VZ hotspot?) so was hoping I could just use FoxFi for the few times I do. Oh well.
But to my original question - were they talking about simply putting your Google info onto the phone over wifi before connecting to VZ with the SIM? How would that change anything, or is it just an urban myth?

More as a FYI, but you can turn on and off the hotspot capabilities and Verizon will prorate your bill. This way you are only charged with the days that it is activate. Going this route makes hotspot about a $1 a day. It's what my wife and I do when one of us has to travel for work.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If you only used it occasionally, you can activate it when needed, and deactivate it when not needed. You would be prorated for the days of use.

linuxmel

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

There is no need to use foxfi. All of Verizon's current plans include hotspot. For older plans, like unlimited data then you can get the hotspot addon.

For a price 😁. Mine doesn't include it. When I try to turn it on. It says checking subscription, then says I don't have it?

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

For a price 😁. Mine doesn't include it. When I try to turn it on. It says checking subscription, then says I don't have it?

Posted via the Android Central App

..what plan are you on?

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site

More as a FYI, but you can turn on and off the hotspot capabilities and Verizon will prorate your bill. This way you are only charged with the days that it is activate. Going this route makes hotspot about a $1 a day. It's what my wife and I do when one of us has to travel for work.

Have you actually done that and then verified that you were only billed the pro-rated amount?

The reason I ask is I've contacted Verizon Customer Service in the past and was told they don't pro-rate - you get charged for the full month even if you only enroll/cancel for a few days.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Have you actually done that and then verified that you were only billed the pro-rated amount?

The reason I ask is I've contacted Verizon Customer Service in the past and was told they don't pro-rate - you get charged for the full month even if you only enroll/cancel for a few days.

..I've seen it on my bill.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I've also had personal experience and they do prorate if you take it off mid-cycle. I've also removed the hotspot feature on the same day that I've added it and haven't gotten charged at all.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site

I've also had personal experience and they do prorate if you take it off mid-cycle. I've also removed the hotspot feature on the same day that I've added it and haven't gotten charged at all.

Good to know. Thanks for the information.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

That's wrong. I have done it many times when on vacation or trips... I only get charged for days of usage. My bill confirms this