Which phone are you guys coming from?

colton groters

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm moving from a recently bought Moto G 2015. Really like this phone but the display was not really too good

Posted via the Android Central App

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Opposite for me with the Note 4 and correlates to reviews by Anantech and GSMarena (great Note 4 battery life).

I find for my medium to heavy use the Note 4 is significantly better in regards to battery life and heat issues than the Pure. 3D games and HD video runs ten degrees warmer and screen on time is three hours less on average with the Pure. No rational comparison. The heat and sharp battery decline with GPU heavy apps seems unusual with the Pure and Moto needs to manage the governor settings better with the GPU (if they can).

If I just used Dolphin and Firefox, streamed video (not HD), or used lighter GPU apps, the battery life was decent and heat relativity normal with the Pure. Ditto for game emulators since they are very light on the GPU and very heavy with the CPU. After ten days now with the Pure, it seems the Pure is a great device for light to medium users that do not use many apps GPU heavy. The GPU seems the problem on this device.

Per Best Buy, they are getting returns due to the battery and related heat issues. I do not think it as much a product defect as it is the 808's gpu is having a hard time with 1440p and needs to be throttled. That might be the catch- if Moto throttles, the GPU might have a harder time with 1440p. This seems not a lot different than the G4 issues.

Like the G4, most people are light to medium users, so usually no harm no foul for them :)

Hmmm.. Been on Best buys site and friend works in the geek squad and he said the mxpe is flying off the shelves but hasn't mentioned alot of returns.. Where did u hear this?

sp3ak

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I came from an HTC One M7. I had really enjoyed the phone but it was starting to act up. I previously had Motorola's but when it came out I decided to jump to HTC. Did 2 years of good service for me and it will stay as a back up phone for my wife and I.

I'm thrilled with the XPE so far and haven't had a single issue.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I came from an HTC One M7. I had really enjoyed the phone but it was starting to act up. I previously had Motorola's but when it came out I decided to jump to HTC. Did 2 years of good service for me and it will stay as a back up phone for my wife and I.

I'm thrilled with the XPE so far and haven't had a single issue.

I'm waiting mine and I have the M7 for the past two years. I love how smooth the One is, but the camera has the purple tint.
How did you find it in terms of smoothness and battery life?

DarrenCarnall

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
A rather ancient (comparatively) Samsung Galaxy S3. It's served me well and pretty much does everything I need, but the last 12 months or so it's just been getting reaaallly slow opening apps and stuff. Like it'll sit there on a blank screen for 25 seconds while it decides what to do. A full factory reset makes this quicker again, but within weeks it's back to normal. I think as apps get more complicated and bulky (Facebook is a main one) ..this old phone struggles a bit now.

So going from the S3 to this Moto X Style is going to be a hell of a leap!! (and it's arriving within the next hour. Woohoo!!)

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sort of coming from a Note 4, except I drowned it in a swimming pool a few months ago (there should be a law against swimsuit pockets large enough to hold a cell phone!), so I've been using my old Note 2. I loved the Note 4, great screen, camera, WiFi calling (Sprint), SD card and removable battery. Samsung lost me with the Note 5's glass back and abandonment of SD and removable battery. At least the XPE takes an SD card.

I only occasionally used the S Pen, so I think I won't miss that too much. I'm looking forward to the Moto experience, and I like that the phone is unlocked and will work on all carriers, as I may want to switch from Sprint.

I did a clean install of Lollipop on my Note 4, after the initial OTA update, and it worked fine for me. I'd recommend that for anyone having problems after the update.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm coming from the OnePlus One. I also have the OnePlus 2. The X is my daily, the 2 is my back up. Moto assist is something that I must have now!

You're like me. I got one plus one and two and moto x pure. I use both mxp and OPT.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

sp3ak

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm waiting mine and I have the M7 for the past two years. I love how smooth the One is, but the camera has the purple tint.
How did you find it in terms of smoothness and battery life?
I think the MXPE is excellent on both counts. My M7 was a big laggy at times and no matter what I do with this it doesn't skip a beat. I'm in and out of heavy use depending on the day but its never not lasted me a whole day. I guess for some that doesn't mean heavy use though. Bottom line is same habits on both phones and I have way more battery life on the MXPE at any point during the day.

I think you will be pleased.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I think the MXPE is excellent on both counts. My M7 was a big laggy at times and no matter what I do with this it doesn't skip a beat. I'm in and out of heavy use depending on the day but its never not lasted me a whole day. I guess for some that doesn't mean heavy use though. Bottom line is same habits on both phones and I have way more battery life on the MXPE at any point during the day.

What about size? Did you get used to it quickly?

sp3ak

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I was a little caught off guard by the size difference but I feel it's been an easy transition. From reading/watching reviews many said it was a large phone but still easy to use, and I agree. I'm just using the CaseMate bumper case which doesn't add much extra to the phone.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

This mirrors my experience as well. The MXPE is just smooth and easy... Mine doesn't get hot and the battery is pretty darn good. I don't game on my phone, maybe if you are a big gamer the battery runs down faster? IDK.

If you get a slim case or go bare the size isn't an issue because of the great ergonomics of the device. It fits so well in my hand and I can even reach most of the screen. The upper left corner is still tough to touch but there isn't usually much I need up there. Typing is WAY EASIER on this big screen. And the screen is beautiful. IDK what people could possibly find to complain about, I like it better than my S6 screen.

It's a fantastic device.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Came from the S6 Edge.
Other than looking good to the untrained eye, the Edge screen was a gimmick and actually made usability worse in some cases.
I usually have Nexus devices but didn't fancy either the 5x or 6p although I may go 5x if I don't get used to the slightly bigger Moto (I stuck with Nexus 5 for quite a long time for me).

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I too came from the S6 Edge for many reasons not the least of which is the same as MartinMPL where he states "Other than looking good to the untrained eye, the Edge screen was a gimmick and actually made usability worse in some cases."

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If a media fan, once you get used to the good stereo speakers and nice display, it is kind of hard to go back to a device without that combination. I would trade the home button for stereo speakers on the Note 4. Presuming as good as the MXPE speakers.

Yes, headphones null this, but a lot of times I do not want or need to use headphones and prefer the experience with the speakers. For meetings as well, using the speakers is much better than the Note 4 or 5.

Added: Comparing the NGage (my first smart phone) and the MXPE is a trip :)

Last edited:

jaystekan

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a Nexus 5. 3 days ago my Nexus battery started smoking for no reason. Had no plans to upgrade that phone, bought it when it was first released and have been happy and issue free ever since. Was going to go for a Nexus 6, but was unimpressed. Last time I purchased a locked/contract phone was in 2010. Won;t ever go contract/locked again. My pure is being delivered by 8pm tonight!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2