Using the Moto X Pure Edition on AT&T?

pinoymutt

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nano sim card?

If you go to an AT&T corporate store (not authorized reseller), their corporate policy is NOT to charge you for a new SIM chip. I just picked one up the other day in preparation for my MXPE (I had a microSIM before in my Oneplus One).

Some resellers may try and charge you, but if you are relatively close to a corp store, go there. I believe you can also call AT&T customer service and they'll ship one out to you at no charge if you aren't near a corporate store.

BoneDigger

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I went to the AT&T store and they just used a cutter on my old SIM. No issues and was done in about 15 minutes. Been using it on AT&T for a few days. No issues.

Sent from a cell phone. Sorry for any typos.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had a previous phone On AT&T that used a micro SIM card.
I went to AT&T a few miles from the house.
They gave me a nano SIM card free.

bigbuc

May 28, 2013
Visit site
i went to the nearest at&t store (45 miles) and was told the "were out" of nano sim cards. i wonder how they sell iphones.
i called at&t, which overnighted me two MICRO sim cards... kind of wanted to laugh.
i cut down our old micro sims, and popped them in.

--sent from broadbandless rural America

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Using the Moto X Pure Edition on AT&T?

Mine is shipping back via FedEx tomorrow. Hopefully Moto updates with better GPU governor management, since that ended up being my main dislike. The chip as stands is inefficient with GPU tasks. Runs too hot and drains too much battery. My Note 4 runs ten degrees less with the same apps and average screen on time with the same average use is three hours longer.

I will sadly miss the superb speakers. Light to medium users I salute you, since you likely will not have many issues. Great device fit for you :)

RikkiRay

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

Mine is shipping via FedEx tomorrow. Hopefully Moto updates with better GPU governor management, since that ended up being my main dislike. The chip as stands is inefficient with GPU tasks. Runs too hot and drains too much battery. My Note 4 runs ten degrees less with the same apps and average screen on time with the same average use is three hours longer.

I will sadly miss the superb speakers. Light to medium users I salute you, since you likely will not have many issues. Great device fit for you :)

Hate to see you leaving the MXPE but totally understand.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Hate to see you leaving the MXPE but totally understand.
Hitting the confirm button to "erase everything" was a sad moment. Especially after spending last Saturday downloading and setting everything up. This is the time when sadness turns to anger ;) Meh.

shuttle099

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Do I have to change anything with AT&T if I order a Moto X Pure?

I currently own an S5, do I just take the SIM card out and use it on the Moto X? Or do I have to add it as a new phone on the AT&T website?

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Do I have to change anything with AT&T if I order a Moto X Pure?

If the SIMs are the same size, just swap them.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

I currently own an S5, do I just take the SIM card out and use it on the Moto X? Or do I have to add it as a new phone on the AT&T website?
You need to get nano sim from att because galaxy s5 has micro sim. That's it.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

LongbranchPennywhistle

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site

Got mine set up today, one slight issue though.

I went in and got the sim I needed and activated it right there in the store. I'm able to receive calls, texts, use data, receive mms, etc etc. But for some reason I can't get the circle with a line through it by the network bars to go away.

When I check the sim status its still showing "Cellular Network State: Disconnected"
But I'm on the network, I have LTE, receiving calls, texts etc etc.

Anyone else have this issue? Already checked APN settings, and they're fine. But "Enable/Disable APN" is greyed out for some reason...

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

Got mine set up today, one slight issue though.

I went in and got the sim I needed and activated it right there in the store. I'm able to receive calls, texts, use data, receive mms, etc etc. But for some reason I can't get the circle with a line through it by the network bars to go away.

When I check the sim status its still showing "Cellular Network State: Disconnected"
But I'm on the network, I have LTE, receiving calls, texts etc etc.

Anyone else have this issue? Already checked APN settings, and they're fine. But "Enable/Disable APN" is greyed out for some reason...

Enable/Disable APN is grayed out on mine as well. Are you connected to WiFi? I'm on AT&T and my X says Cellular Network State: Disconnected if I am on WiFi; though it will switch to connected once I turn off WiFi. Also, that circle with the line? That may be the do not disturb mode. If you hit the volume keys and None with that circle symbol shows up below the volume bar then it's in silent or do not disturb or whatever Google calls it.

I've always had issues with activating phones on AT&T. Something always goes wrong on their end and I have to call them to get it fixed; they always just 'reset' something or other and then I reboot the phone and boom, fixed. It's possible something on the back end is messed up.

LongbranchPennywhistle

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site

Enable/Disable APN is grayed out on mine as well. Are you connected to WiFi? I'm on AT&T and my X says Cellular Network State: Disconnected if I am on WiFi; though it will switch to connected once I turn off WiFi. Also, that circle with the line? That may be the do not disturb mode. If you hit the volume keys and None with that circle symbol shows up below the volume bar then it's in silent or do not disturb or whatever Google calls it.

I've always had issues with activating phones on AT&T. Something always goes wrong on their end and I have to call them to get it fixed; they always just 'reset' something or other and then I reboot the phone and boom, fixed. It's possible something on the back end is messed up.

Derp, you're right, that is silent mode, got used to Touchwiz and didn't recognize the symbol. The cellular network status just does show Disconnected as long as you're on wifi, I just never noticed it before, so there is no issue.

shuttle099

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I meant, is it possible to use the existing S5 line with the Moto X Pure or would it have to be added as a new line?

LongbranchPennywhistle

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site

I meant, is it possible to use the existing S5 line with the Moto X Pure or would it have to be added as a new line?
They would just de-activate your old phone and activate the new one on the same line I'm pretty sure. When I went in, I just told them that I was replacing my existing S4 with the new phone, and they brought out a new sim and activated it, then (or so I'm assuming) just deactivated the old one.

Regardless it shouldn't be an issue really, you shouldn't have to pay for a new line or anything like that, or pay for anything, and if they do try to say that you need to buy a sim or anything of the sort, they're lying to you.

shuttle099

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

They would just de-activate your old phone and activate the new one on the same line I'm pretty sure. When I went in, I just told them that I was replacing my existing S4 with the new phone, and they brought out a new sim and activated it, then (or so I'm assuming) just deactivated the old one.

Regardless it shouldn't be an issue really, you shouldn't have to pay for a new line or anything like that, or pay for anything, and if they do try to say that you need to buy a sim or anything of the sort, they're lying to you.
My S5 is still on a 2 year contract, will I have to pay it off?

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

My S5 is still on a 2 year contract, will I have to pay it off?

No, you don't have to pay off your phone. You can switch to a new phone even if you bought your current phone on contract. Your contact will, however, remain in force until the end of its term.

Posted via the Android Central App

canawler

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Pure on ATT

Question for anyone who activated a Pure on a NEW account with AT&T, not just swapped a SIM over from an existing AT&T phone. Do you get full LTE service or their slower 4G? Any other issues with activation?

The reason I'm asking such a weird question is that I've been reading the sub-forum for the other phone I'm considering and some people are being told that AT&T won't activate a new line with LTE service on unlocked phones. They do get 4G but not LTE. One poster has claimed to go through three levels of support but is getting nowhere. There are work arounds by giving dummy ID numbers or activating cards in an AT&T phone but due to my particular circumstance those wouldn't be options. Personally, I think this sounds crazy, but you never know...

Any problems here?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke