My Moto X Pure Edition screen has a yellow tint to it

Samsung.Galaxy.S3

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
CM 12.1 (Android 5.1.1) has a "LiveDisplay" setting that will turn your screen a little "yellow" at night to a "whiter" one during the day (it's all based on time during a day). I don't know if this is something similar that Motorola implemented as a default setting on the Pure. It seems that the image in the OP was taken in a dark environment.

Emvilla25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is a root tweak to change screen temperature. I'm coming from a silver edition passport on is 10.3.2 and that was thankfully an option.. Can't imagine android wouldn't be able to duplicate that setting.

Posted via the Android Central App

I have been using a app called Screen Balance in order to add a little blue. I also feel my phone is way to to worm. If I can't get used to it within the next couple of day I will be requesting a replacement. That's what MotoMoto support said I should do.

Emvilla25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
My screen is also very yellow. I have been using a app named Screen Balance in order to add some blue. I think I'm going to ask Motorola for a replacement.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No yellow tint here.

Try holding the google screen next to same screen on a Samsung in any phone store. Moto has always gone with a little warmer white. There are many shades of white and many personal preferences. What I call white you might call harsh and bluish.

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Got my MXPE as well as my wifes. Activated on VZ with no problem and I decided to compare both phones. My wifes phone is white as can be. Mine had a slight yellow tint to it. Contacted Motorola and they are sending me replacement (they gave me a code to place my order). Fingers crossed that the new one is fine.

rocchioo

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
My screen is also yellowish. I have gotten used to it though. It is easier on the eyes. But, I would prefer a screen that displays whites more accurately. I probably won't return my phone because I doubt the replacement will be better.

IMG_0033.jpg

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
My screen is also yellowish. I have gotten used to it though. It is easier on the eyes. But, I would prefer a screen that displays whites more accurately. I probably won't return my phone because I doubt the replacement will be better.

View attachment 198117
I think the replacement will be better. If its not, its going back for another RMA. I'm using my hard earned money, and I want something that is not defective. I should have my replacement next week.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

View attachment 198117

I personally would not be OK with that, the screen is clearly inferior to the one it's sitting next to. Makes we wonder if it's inferior in other ways that have yet to manifest themselves.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I personally would not be OK with that, the screen is clearly inferior to the one it's sitting next to. Makes we wonder if it's inferior in other ways that have yet to manifest themselves.

You see that is what is stopping me order one as that screen colour to me just isn't good enough!

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You see that is what is stopping me order one as that screen colour to me just isn't good enough!

I agree with you 100%. Screen, camera and battery life are 3 things that are fairly important to me, seems like those are areas where the MXPE is the most inconsistent.

GooGler8

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
My Moto X Pure Edition also has this yellow tint. In fact, I believe they all do. I've been to different best buy stores, and they all look quite similar. For those claiming their screens are definitely "white," please put your phone side by side with an iPhone 6 Plus at some point and upload a picture. However, the yellow tint on the Moto X Pure Edition is still better than on my Note 4. No matter the settings on the Note 4, the screen is always yellower and darker than on the Moto X Pure Edition.

So here are my questions: Everyone claims the Note 4 has the second best screen on the market (after the Note 5), why are white colors yellowish? Is this how white is meant to be reproduced, and is the iPhone's white color reproduction done incorrectly? I definitely prefer that bright white color reproduction without any tint, over yellow white. I bought into the Moto X in large part due to the LCD (and vanilla android). I believed the AMOLED on my Note 4 was responsible for yellowish whites. I thought this Moto X would have "real" whites, hence why I found this thread. I'm 80% on returning it to Moto now.

Moreover: If this is due to a choice by Moto, can we change it with root? Is this a calibration choice? If not, what is a current Android phone with white colors on par with iPhone?

GooGler8

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
P9260129.jpg

Here's a side by side comparison of the Note 4 vs the Moto X Pure. It may not appear readily visible through the picture, but the Moto is a little brighter, and the whites are whiter, but still yellowish when compared to the iPhone.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
View attachment 198583

Here's a side by side comparison of the Note 4 vs the Moto X Pure. It may not appear readily visible through the picture, but the Moto is a little brighter, and the whites are whiter, but still yellowish when compared to the iPhone.

So real life viewing must be 100% different from the picture, because what you're saying isn't copacetic with the photo...

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
There is no such thing as pure white. 5500k is sunlight at noon. iPhone might be 6000k which has more blue in it. Note 4 might be 4800k. Yellowish might be 4000k. Warm white is even lower. Many people like warmer white because it is easier on the eyes. I like white at 5500k but 6500k is really blueish. You may prefer blueish. Brightness has nothing to do with color temp. It is measured in lumens. I don't know if you are going by automatic brightness which is software controlled or max brightness. In the Samsung max brightness can only be achieved in auto brightness out in bright daylight. In other words if you manually set it to highest setting that really isn't as high as it can get.

Bottom line is there is no better or worse. It is a matter of personal preference like incandescent indoor lighting vs cool white indoor lighting.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR