Why can't Motorola give us a screen temperature setting?

mona5804

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Just saw an article about oxygen OS getting an update that featured a screen temperature setting.

Why can't Motorola who has way more resources implement a similar feature in an over the air update.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 5261.jpg
    5261.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 174

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why can't Motorola do this?

Moto follows very closely to pure Android. If you dont find it in stock, there is a 99% change you will not find it on a Moto phone There are only a few of the very basic Moto features they build in so that they can promise fast updates, less performance issues, etc.It's not a matter of resources for Moto, it's a matter of if they want to stray from their core vision. Tinker with one thing, might as well tinker with another and then another and then another.

OnePlus wants to "take take Android away from Google" or whatever it is they've gone on about before so they are happy to make many more modifications to Android. Heck they call their software Oxygen OS in an attempt to get away from the Android name. It's just not how Moto operates.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Just saw an article about oxygen OS getting an update that featured a screen temperature setting.

Why can't Motorola who has way more resources implement a similar feature in an over the air update.

My assumption, which is probably correct but I have no evidence for it, is that there is no significant user base that is asking for a feature like this.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

I was surprised when I saw the same feature in the HTC One M9. I set mine way over to the cooler side and it helped. Still not a big fan of its display but at least they snuck in an option to change it.

mona5804

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
The warm screen is only visible in a direct comparison with a similar IPS screen. that could be a reason people are not up in arms.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, it's not that warm. Not as warm as the Nexus 6 or Galaxy S6 in basic (accurate) mode, but not as cool as iPhones or HTC or LG phones. It's right about where it should be. Most screens these days are far too cool, so you probably got used to that, but you'll get used to this screen rather quickly and then realize how blue other screens are.

That said, a screen temperature setting would be nice. The One M9 and OnePlus 2 both have one now.

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
My lg g3 is pretty warm warmer then most lg g3 but i did tone it down a bit with a screen filter, now that i got the xpure the screen looks amazing. Honestly my g3 screen was most likely set to warm and dim

GooGler8

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I noticed it immediately upon turning the phone on, and returned it two days later because I couldn't deal with how YELLOW the whites were. I sincerely don't buy the argument that's how it should look, and that's "how whites look under sunlight." It looks terrible. I'm on the search for a new, stock android, with bright, cool whites. Any recommendations?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Probably because they would say, "You can't handle the truth!". The temps can get Yikes! high. Not seen temps like this since the S3 in a weak signal area with GPS on. The GPU is a rogue on this device. It don't need no stinkin' battery life ;) :)

Last edited:

jpr196

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I noticed it immediately upon turning the phone on, and returned it two days later because I couldn't deal with how YELLOW the whites were. I sincerely don't buy the argument that's how it should look, and that's "how whites look under sunlight." It looks terrible. I'm on the search for a new, stock android, with bright, cool whites. Any recommendations?

It must be how certain batches are calibrated if this is an issue because mine is blindingly white at full brightness. I keep my brightness at about 35 or 40 percent and the screen is brighter than my Air 2 that I keep at 40 percent. The Air 2 is a cooler screen but my Pure's whites are definitely not a yellow tint.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It must be how certain batches are calibrated if this is an issue because mine is blindingly white at full brightness. I keep my brightness at about 35 or 40 percent and the screen is brighter than my Air 2 that I keep at 40 percent. The Air 2 is a cooler screen but my Pure's whites are definitely not a yellow tint.
Mine is white and leave at 20% brightness since that equals the 40% setting I use on my Note 4.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
2 I have received are both really white. I too turned mine downtown 20 percent and they are just as bright and white as my s5 and my wife's note 4

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure I said this another thread somewhere...mine is nice and "balanced" white. Very bright. No yellow. Coming from an S6 Edge this screen looks just as good to me.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

I think you just got a bad device. There is another thread about the white looking yellow and the person returned the phone and the next one was fine.

GooGler8

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I have my doubts about this. A lot of reviews on youtube, and reviews online will mention this "warm" screen temperature present on the moto x pure edition. I'll pass by a best buy tomorrow and try to compare it to my previous one.

Ichigo91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I dont think those settings are going to fix the ones that got a display with yellow screen, as in my opinion it's a defect and shouldn't be that way, regardless what others say.