New Moto Care Options

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
^^^ Me too. I got the 2 year plan, but can't remember the last phone I had for more than one year. On the positive site, it's transferable.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
If you tend to upgrade as often as I do, the transferable warranty would be a plus when it's time to sell.

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
FYI, I followed Moto's instructions by going to Device Managers and the instructions were wrong because it wasn't showing Motorola's option. I had to sign in using Motorola ID in order for the phone to show up in My Stuff online.

I didn't purchase warranty because $160 for 2 phones was a bit pricey considering we never damaged a phone and didn't have a need for it. But I would like the extended mechanical warranty since battery, screen or volume issues can pop up anytime during the 2-3 years.

Screen Shot 2015-09-23 at 9.22.28 AM.png

If you already received your phone and don't have warranty but want to add, I was only given 2 options. I didn't get the 15 month option. I don't know what will show up for those who purchased the $80 warranty and want to downgrade.

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I would have to guess these warrenties over lap the origonal 1 year factory warrenty . I was just looking at the plans above ^^^^^ it looks like the 2 year plan expires on Sept 2017 which is really only 1 year longer but the 1 year plan expires on Sept 2017 which is a true 1 year warranty. So why would i pay extra for the same thing ?

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the standard 1 year warranty covers accidental damage. I believe it's the regular warranty that you get from carriers where if there is a defect they will send you a refurb. But if you don't get Moto Care and you shatter your screen or drop it in a pool you're screwed. Also, it looks like the 1 year option just extends the "refurb" warranty. It doesn't say "ADP" which I'm guessing stands for accidental damage protection. But I don't work at Motorola so I could be completely wrong. That thinking was what led me to buy the 2 year plan.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking of doing the 15 month plan since I doubt I will have this phone until September 2017 but for some reason Moto doesn't offer that to people who have already bought the Pure. I'm tempted to talk to customer service to see if I can snag it but the stories I've heard about Moto customer service makes me think I won't get far.

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I would have to guess these warrenties over lap the origonal 1 year factory warrenty . I was just looking at the plans above ^^^^^ it looks like the 2 year plan expires on Sept 2017 which is really only 1 year longer but the 1 year plan expires on Sept 2017 which is a true 1 year warranty. So why would i pay extra for the same thing ?
I just checked and now it offers the 15 months.

As for overlapping, the $80 overlaps the current 1 year because its offering accidental because the original basic 1 year does not and only offers the 1 year manufacturer defects.

The $20 adds to the existing 1 year. So you have 2 years of any manufacturer defects. So if the battery craps out the 2nd year, you're covered and Motorola will replace it with a like new.

The $50/15 month warranty also overlaps because it has the accidental damage.

Attached is the plans with MY expiration date for each option. It will give you an idea of how long the coverage will be for.
Screen Shot 2015-09-23 at 8.00.24 PM.png

Last edited:

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if i should buy a warranty or not ? I haven't broken a phone yet (knocks on wood ) in 15 years but this is alot bigger and slippery than the OGMX . If i do buy a warranty then which one ? tick tock tic tock 20 days left to decide

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if i should buy a warranty or not ? I haven't broken a phone yet (knocks on wood ) in 15 years but this is alot bigger and slippery than the OGMX . If i do buy a warranty then which one ? tick tock tic tock 20 days left to decide
Same here. I haven't damaged a phone (knock on wood). I agree that the phone is a lot bigger. I'm going to put a case on it so it will protect it. I'm more worried about the battery, screen or other parts being defective during my time of owning it. The battery is the most important part since its not replaceable...on the consumer end.

I'm going to order the $20 for my phone and my wifes. This is not a bad deal considering if I got my phone from Verizon, I would have to pay a monthly fee for warranty for 2 years which would cost more than the $20. You only get the 1 year warranty like what Moto is offering. If the battery has issues, I'll get a replacement. If the screen craps out, I'll get a replacement. If I drop it and screen breaks, that's on me.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Same here. For my Nexus 5 I ended up getting SquareTrade (I believe through amazon so I got a deal). I haven't used it.

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the standard 1 year warranty covers accidental damage. I believe it's the regular warranty that you get from carriers where if there is a defect they will send you a refurb. But if you don't get Moto Care and you shatter your screen or drop it in a pool you're screwed. Also, it looks like the 1 year option just extends the "refurb" warranty. It doesn't say "ADP" which I'm guessing stands for accidental damage protection. But I don't work at Motorola so I could be completely wrong. That thinking was what led me to buy the 2 year plan.
MotoCare does not cover water damage. So even if you get MotoCare and you drop it in the pool or toilet, you're screwed. The warranty only covers drops and damages.

Correct, standard 1 year warranty does not cover accidental. That is why it tacks on to the standard 1 year. That is why the 15 month and 2 year warranty overlaps the current standard 1 year warranty because of the accidental damage protection. So essentially, you're getting 15 months of ADP and 3 extra months of regular warranty. With the 2 year, you get 2 years of ADP and an extra year of regular warranty.

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking of doing the 15 month plan since I doubt I will have this phone until September 2017 but for some reason Moto doesn't offer that to people who have already bought the Pure. I'm tempted to talk to customer service to see if I can snag it but the stories I've heard about Moto customer service makes me think I won't get far.

Great news, since we just bought these plans and we're within 60 days just cancel it. You'll get a full refund. Then purchase the 15 month plan.

Chat rep confirmed that'd be fine.

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
MotoCare does not cover water damage. So even if you get MotoCare and you drop it in the pool or toilet, you're screwed. The warranty only covers drops and damages.

You know I don't think that's right since the site says: Moto Care Accident Protection covers accidents that affect the functionality of the device, like drops and spills.

You could just state you spilled a pitcher of water on it drenching it completely right?

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/esp-faq

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Is there anyway to add the additional 1 yr $19.95 warranty to a Moto X received a couple of weeks ago,
This is how I was able to get it to show up:

If you don't have a Motorola ID, sign up for one - Moto Care - Smartphone Accident Protection - Motorola. I think it's the same account you used to purchase your MXPE if you ordered through MotoMaker.

On the phone, go to SETTINGS > Motorola ID > enter your email that you registered with Motorola

Once you added your Motorola ID to the phone, go back to the link above and sign in. It may show Moto X Pure Edition in the drop down. If not, click on MY STUFF on the top right and click on ADD DEVICE and follow the steps. But I think once you added your Moto ID to your phone, it should automatically be added to the site.