Can I disable the stock Messaging app?

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a nexus 5 it was a fun surprise to find how many Google apps I could uninstall and disable like Google earth and play books.

The 1 app I want to disable is the built in messaging app. Anybody find a way to ditch it without rooting?

It's certainly not the end of the world but I like to keep things clean. I don't want to switch launchers to hide the icon and rooting is not an option at the moment.

I also know how to set the default SMS app so that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Re: Messaging App

I think if you disable the stock messaging app you will have issues receiving texts. I just disable the notifications on the stock app and hide it from my app drawer....and use Textra.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I can't disable it and I've already set hangouts as my default SMS app so I'm not worried about losing anything.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

I can't disable it and I've already set hangouts as my default SMS app so I'm not worried about losing anything.

Out of curiosity, once you default to an alternate app, what is the purpose behind "disabling" the stock one? Sincere question not being snarky.

Posted via my Mate 7 or my Moto X Pure

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Out of curiosity, once you default to an alternate app, what is the purpose behind "disabling" the stock one? Sincere question not being snarky.

Posted via my Mate 7 or my Moto X Pure
Not seeing it in the app drawer mainly. Certainly not a big issue but I know I'm not alone in trying to hide/disable apps.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I think if you disable the stock messaging app you will have issues receiving texts. I just disable the notifications on the stock app and hide it from my app drawer....and use Textra.

I'm not sure with the MXPE but this is what happened with other Moto phones. You need to keep the stock app for a third party one to work. Some people had serious problems after rooting and uninstalling it.

I'm with alphabets, disable notifications and hide it with a custom launcher. Better safe than sorry.

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

I just disable the notifications on the stock app and hide it from my app drawer....and use Textra.

If you set your third party massaging app of choice to be the default SMS app, there is no need to disable anything. Your SMS, MMS, and messages all come through fine. You just have to look at the stock app in your app drawer. But that's no different than disabling notifications.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You can just set your default messenger and you're good. No need to mess with notifications or anything in Stock :).

Attachments

• 1443102159303.jpg
    1443102159303.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 117

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site

You can just set your default messenger and you're good. No need to mess with notifications or anything in Stock :).

Yep, that's what I do. I just take the extra step of moving the slider within the stock messaging app to off. More of a placebo effect I guess more than anything ;)

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I also know how to set the default SMS app so that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks

As I already said, I switched my default sms app right away when I set up the phone. I'm wanting to disable/uninstall the stock app.

For example, I installed the google camera app and then disabled the moto camera, now I only have 1 active camera app and don't have to bother with 2.

rowoodro

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
"No, you can't", short and sweet! That's probably the best and most true answer. I don't believe you can either. And to answer someone else's question about why someone would want to disable it altogether after you've already made another installed sms app default- The answer is:

Even if you make another installed app default the phone will still give you the factory message app as the first option if you "share" a photo/video/etc. Also even though you chose the installed app as default, the factory message app will still always give you notifications even after blocking the notifications.

It's unnecessary duplication, and like SoCold mentioned, no need for two apps being on your phone when you clearly do not want one of them.

rowoodro

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site

"No, you can't", short and sweet! That's probably the best and most true answer. I don't believe you can either. And to answer someone else's question about why someone would want to disable it altogether after you've already made another installed sms app default- The answer is:

Even if you make another installed app default the phone will still give you the factory message app as the first option if you "share" a photo/video/etc. Also even though you chose the installed app as default, the factory message app will still always give you notifications even after blocking the notifications.

It's unecessary duplication, and like SoCold mentioned, no need for two apps being on your phone when you clearly do not want one of them.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
rowoodrow, both of your attachments come up as 'Invalid', maybe because you don't have enough posts in this forum.

Anyway, just like socold said earlier, I set Hangouts as the Default when I first got the Pure and have just ignored the Messenger icon in the Apps drawer till today. Was interested enough to open it just now and see all my SMS activity is there (probably no MMS, though I didn't check).

Interesting though, that when I opened Settings for Messenger, it says at the top that SMS is disabled but I guess it doesn't matter that the Messenger app itself isn't.

n8prkr

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Nova Launcher Prime allows you to hide apps in the app drawer, if you're stuck on not seeing it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Edit: never mind, I see you don't want to switch launchers...

sbch

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Moto X 2nd / Marshmallow. I use non-stock messaging app, and cannot disable stock. This was causing doubled notifications. So I blocked notifications from stock. Settings > apps > messaging > notifications > block.

MarkSBaines

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I use Google Messenger rather than the stock one. Somewhere in Settings under Default Apps you can tell the system which app to use.

TheTechPig

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
I just installed google messenger and it asked me to set as default, I did that and now my moto messaging doesn't give me notifications anymore, it's that simple.

Posted from outer space on my Moto X Style

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol