My Moto X Pure Edition Review

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a Moto X Pure Edition on September 2. I chose the 64 GB version with a royal blue back, black front, and metallic dark grey accents. It took a long time to get built, and it finally arrived on October 9. It was definitely worth the wait. I love this phone.

The device I used previously was the 2013 Moto X. I was concerned that the new Moto X Pure Edition would be too big, but it only took me two days to adapt to the size. Now my old device seems tiny.

I really liked my previous 2013 Moto X, since it ran stock Android. It was an AT&T model, though. As a result, it did have some AT&T bloatware that could be disabled but not uninstalled (root was not possible with Lollipop). The new Moto X Pure Edition is unlocked and unbranded, so it has no carrier bloatware. I installed AT&T Visual Voicemail, which is the only carrier app that I wanted.

The device worked fine out of the box. I just inserted my nano SIM from my previous device, and I had no additional work to do. I did not need to alter any APN settings for data or MMS.

The display is excellent. I prefer LCD, rather than AMOLED, since LCD is easier to read outdoors in sunlight and does not suffer from burn-in. I had no issues using my phone outdoors in the sun. The display is excellent for watching Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube videos.

One of the things I like to do is listen to music. The Moto X Pure Edition has awesome speakers. I enjoy listening to music even without headphones, since the speakers sound great.

Call quality is excellent. Nobody has complained about how I sound when I’m talking to them. The speaker phone works great also.

The ringer is very loud, and the vibration is very strong.

One of the drawbacks to the 2013 Moto X was the camera; it just wasn’t that good. The Moto X Pure Edition has a much improved camera. I’ve gotten good pictures in optimal light conditions and in low light conditions using the rear camera. I have no idea how good the front facing camera is, since I’m not into selfies.

I have not noticed any lag, even though I almost always multitask and switch between about 5-6 different apps. Taps, long presses, and swipes respond instantaneously.

I love the Attentive Display feature. I have my screen timeout set to 15 seconds, but the Attentive Display always knows when I’m looking and stays lit as long as needed. This is a Moto feature, and it is one of the reasons why I like Moto. I also like Moto Display, since I am able to see new notifications on the screen when I wave my hand over it. Double twist to open the camera and chop chop motion to open the flashlight are two other Moto features that I especially like.

I have no issues with battery life and always have enough to get through a day. The turbo charger is great, though. It really does charge the battery quickly. I also got an Aukey car charger that supports turbo charging.

The screen has a water resistant treatment (not water proof, but resistant to a bit of water, such as from rain). This also makes the Moto X Pure Edition the first phone I’ve had that wasn’t a fingerprint magnet. I’m not needing to clean my screen multiple times in a day.

I am really impressed by the Moto X Pure Edition, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a new smartphone. It is the best phone I’ve had so far.

Last edited:

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the 6p and the moto x pure, I'm selling the 6p cause I like the moto x pure better. The 6p is awesome but doesn't feel nearly as good in the hand as the moto. And the LCD screen is better than the amoled screen on the 6p.

The moto x isn't perfect yet, but it will be when it gets marshmallow. Doze is money.

Posted via the Android Central App

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
You 3 have me excited for the Pure to arrive! I've been debating heavily between the Pure and the Turbo 2.

I considered Turbo 2 primarily over battery capacity and being shorter, thinner and lighter (all just slightly, though.) I also like some moto maker options.

On the Moto X Pure, I like the in-hand feel better of the contoured back and I was looking forward to the LCD for the same reasons Laura mentioned. Secondary reasons are the speakers and price.

Hopefully I'll feel that the battery life of the Pure is at least 20% better as my 2013 Moto X.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The pure has good battery life. Not outstanding, but still good. The turbo charger makes up for any battery issues anyway.

Stay clear of the turbo 2 - its got the horrible Verizon bloat that will impact performance and updates. Bleh!

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
The pure has good battery life. Not outstanding, but still good. The turbo charger makes up for any battery issues anyway.

Stay clear of the turbo 2 - its got the horrible Verizon bloat that will impact performance and updates. Bleh!

Hey Austin

I have decided which to buy between the Style and the 6P and I am going to order the Style (UK) as for me the 6P just isn't worth £150 more than the Style will cost me and ok the finger print sensor would be great and the bigger battery but I am still unsure of the 6P build quality and I am probably totally wrong but my gut feeling is the Style, plus I want to use the phone without a case and I know that the 6P is bound to scratch easily and the Style will be more durable :)

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the 6p and the moto x pure, I'm selling the 6p cause I like the moto x pure better. The 6p is awesome but doesn't feel nearly as good in the hand as the moto. And the LCD screen is better than the amoled screen on the 6p.

The moto x isn't perfect yet, but it will be when it gets marshmallow. Doze is money.

I've had my 6p for 3 days, and am considering selling/returning for the MXPE. While I like the fingerprint reader, the low-light camera is NOT as great as people are saying. Even with HDR+, it suffers. I really like the water-resistance feature of the MXPE.
And yes, Doze is money. I took it off the charger @ 6a yesterday morning, and am (today) at 10% right now at 4pm. I have 2:18hr screen on time. Doze is a fantastic feature.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I love my MXPE and am definitely happy I made the jump from my 2014 AT&T Moto X, especially since the latter won't be getting Marshmallow. If the MXPE didn't exist, though, I would have gone for the 6P for sure. I don't mind Amoled as much as some folks, but dang - these speakers on the MXPE. What a nice surprise!

Last edited:

LongbranchPennywhistle

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
The size of the phone concerned me a bit when I ordered it, coming from a much smaller phone and having small hands. But my fears were pretty quickly dismissed once I got it, I actually like the size, and it's more comfortable to hold then my old S4 that required a large bulky aftermarket battery to fix the horrid battery life with its stock battery.

And the speakers, they make me happy. Recently on a roadtrip I had to put the phone in the cupholder of a van and used it as a speaker since we were without an aux cord temporarily. The front half of the van didn't even know it was a phone we were using, they thought we whipped out a speaker. I listen to music practically 24/7, and the speakers are perfect for general use when I just want to play some songs as I'm getting ready in the morning.

A very very worthy upgrade, puts my old s4 to pure shame and I get comments on the phone regularly.

Hendry775

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Great review Laura! I have had my Pure for 12 days now, and experienced all the good points you have mentioned. And my phone design is almost the same, 16 GB, royal blue back, black front and metallic champagne accents! :D

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Looks like most of us are in the same boat.

I think the MXPE is an outstanding device that I'm glad I jumped on.

My first Motorola phone... The radio's! I get a signal in a lot of places where it was weak before.

Moto sold me on this phone and I'm a fan lol

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Looks like most of us are in the same boat.

I think the MXPE is an outstanding device that I'm glad I jumped on.

My first Motorola phone... The radio's! I get a signal in a lot of places where it was weak before.

Moto sold me on this phone and I'm a fan lol

Agreed, the radio is much better than samsung phones. I'm getting LTE in places where my samsung never would

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38