How well does the pure handle with one-handed use?

bking1901

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to decide between the nexus 5x and the moto x pure. The nexus 6p was also in the mix for me but it just seems too big. My question is how the pure does with one-handed use; is it too big for that and requires two hands at most times? I do have larger than average hands, but not crazy big.

I ask because size is the most important factor for me since I use my phone now one-handed most of the time. That's why I'm leaning towards the 5x, because it's a smaller size, but haven't personally held the pure yet. I can deal with the slightly inferior software and design of the 5x if that means one-handed use.

So my question isn't which phone is better, but is the pure able to use with one hand.

duman95

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I had a LG 3 and had no issue with one hand use. I find that for the majority of the time one handed use is Ok. But I find it a struggle to comfortably reach the last. 25in of the screen one handed. I have to shift the phone to reach it and that makes it a bit unstable in my hand.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any issues with one handed use but I do have slightly larger hands. I've never had it be uncomfortable to hold and once in awhile all I have to do is adjust it in my hand slightly. I put a basic Case Mate bumper on it and it's made it feel a bit more stable in hand and I find that fact that the phone is tad thicker and has more weight then other flagships makes it easier to hold.. If you happen to have a local Best Buy around you might want to pop into one and see if that have a Moto X on display and you can get a feel for it there.

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I have decent sized hands and I find it about the same as the 5X honestly. I had the 5X for 13 days and sent it back to keep the Pure. The 5X just didnt impress me for the price point, I really think it should have been $50-$75 cheaper if not more.

It can be hard to type one handed but other than that it works out OK.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The Moto X pure edition is an incredibly easy phone to handle in one hand given its huge screen. I returned my 6p because it was too awkward for one handed use. Go pure!

Posted via the Android Central App

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
some folks seem to have trouble with the size of the phone, but i think it has to do more with finding just the right position in the hand. i'm a really small older woman (under 100 lbs) with really small hands. (my 10 yr. old granddaughter has bigger hands than me) I love this phone and have found very few things that i can't do one handed.

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I always said I'd never get a phone this big, but I didn't want to wait for the nexus announcements as the last nexus announcements was for the gigantic nexus 6 and I was disappointed, so I jumped on the XPE since I loved the 2014 X so much. I have smaller hands and this phone isn't really a problem for me to use one handed. I usually go with the left hand and may have to twist it a bit to reach the top right corner but I haven't once wished it was smaller or felt like it was a hassle having a phone this size. With that said, I definitely won't go bigger than this one.

spwexler

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I have small hands and was worried it might be big to handle. I have no problems at all, my index finger fits perfectly into the moto dimple. The phone is relatively narrow, making it easy to handle.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Part of it depends on what you want to do with one hand. Pull it out and check email or facebook and swipe up and down is not a problem. Using the keyboard, or anything on the far side of the screen from your thumb will be a problem,unless you have large hands. Unless you have very large hands, you'll also need to put a case on this for one handed use as it is slippery in all the back options. This also adds to the width.The 5X is really much friendlier for one handed use.

That said, I still like this phone over the 5X. I chose this because I also think the 5X is overpriced for it's features as noted in an earlier post.

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
For the same screen size and slightly smaller battery as my Note 3, the Pure is bigger in every dimension. The curve helps, but it's not as one handable as could be desired. There are not screen shrink functions built in as on the Note.

It's doable, but could be better. Top and bottom bezels certainly need to shrink down.

brian l s

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm 6'0", average hands. I can rest my index finger in the dimple and balance the bottom of the phone on my pinky of my left hand and do the most common activities one-handed. Can't reach the top, right, or top-right with just one hand. The size definitely takes getting used to. The back could stand to be a tad grippier also.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
No problem one handed. You will have to relearn how to hold it one handed. I can hold it one handed. Resting on my pinky.. And I can type the whole keyboard with my thumb

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
... you'll also need to put a case on this for one handed use as it is slippery in all the back options.

I agree with this. A case can really improve the experience. I like a slim fitting case with a matte finish. You'd be surprised what a difference it makes when the back isn't slippery.
Also, as others have said, learning to rest the bottom of your phone on your pinky makes a big difference.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I have average size hands and even though I love the phone I find it a little hard to use it 1 handed.

Hmm thought I have average hands but if your average hands can't use it one handed and my average hands can use it one handed. One must summarize either you have small girly hands or me as a giant 5'4 brute I must have giant baseball mitts for hands. Hmmm maybe that's why the ladies love me.

THARD11

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
It appears others must have small girly hands on the AC staff:

"Uncomfortable to use with one hand" Con from list of best Android phones, Moto XPE

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
It appears others must have small girly hands on the AC staff:

"Uncomfortable to use with one hand" Con from list of best Android phones, Moto XPE

Because they are all used to smaller phones. They are in the process of conversion.. Lol it is a larger phone. You cannot hold it the same way you used to s5 or other smaller phones.. You have. To retrain your hand how to hold a larger phone one handed and how to use it.. You rest it in your hand with your two middle fingers holding the edge and the palm just before your thumb holding the other side and allow your pinky to go below the bottom of the phone supporting it. Then your thumb is free to reach all over the screen as normal

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae