MXPE Problems

hrbib21

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
OK so I've given this Moto X Pure a month or so and I'm not happy. The #1 problem is grainy video (I'm not happy with battery life, either). I can't take video without it looking like crap. I just took a 4K video of my puppy and, yes, grainy beyond belief. So, anyone with a MXPE, any similar experiences and/or suggestions?

Hendry775

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
No such problems for me. Did you discover that after the 14 day window to return the device and get a replacement?

Posted via the Android Central App

hrbib21

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes, discovered 2 weeks ago, purchased on 10.27.2015. Unfortunately, health problems have had me preoccupied so I simply didn't notice earlier.

hrbib21

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking you have a unit with a defective camera module.
I'm wondering that myself. I was on a chat a few minutes ago with a Moto person that got disconnected. I'm going to call later today, though. I still have a Note 3 to use if I have to return it for replacement if need be.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Here's an example of what I'm talking about. You can see it best in the video on the cabinet to the left:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Zy1nY3BycUZLODA5NW1NZE9VRlJZdXg2MlhsTDdR
I honestly don't think graininess is bad at all in that video. I expect some from a cell phone camera or even my point and shoot camera.

I know when I've watched my videos on the Google Photos website, it plays them back at less than full resolution by default. If that's the case with playback on your video when I watched it, than I think it looked pretty good.

hrbib21

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
OK, well then I guess it could be that. I need to transfer the original video to my PC and compare it. You make a good point because Photo's does compress it. Thanks for the help.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
OK, well then I guess it could be that. I need to transfer the original video to my PC and compare it. You make a good point because Photo's does compress it. Thanks for the help.

How bad is your battery life?

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't have specifics because I keep having to charge it but I'M getting MAYBE 3 hours SOT.

Wow you see that battery life is what is stopping me buying the Style and it is a phone I really like but the battery reports are just all over the place!

Cam G

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Wow you see that battery life is what is stopping me buying the Style and it is a phone I really like but the battery reports are just all over the place!
This is mostly due to the fact that everyone uses a phone differently! It unfortunately doesn't depend on just the phone. I try to look at battery life from users only if they can give reasoning as to why/how they got the SOT they did. Makes it easier to justify battery life across the board. All in all most users are easily getting a day out of their phones.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering that myself. I was on a chat a few minutes ago with a Moto person that got disconnected. I'm going to call later today, though. I still have a Note 3 to use if I have to return it for replacement if need be.

My experience with other devices is that you don't have to send the device back until you receive the replacement. Hopefully, that's the case for you.

Posted via Android Central App

jasimpson89

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Usually what you terms as grainyness is to with the ISO setting. This basically the sensitivity setting of the camera, and it the higher the value for the worse the grainyness is. Here is an in depth explanation: "https://photographylife.com/what-is-iso-in-photography" (sorry cant post links yet). The ISO is set automatically by the camera app.

The reason for this is usually poor lighting, and under artificial lighting it can also get bad. What I suggest you do if try going outside on a reasonably sunny day and taking a video and see if the grainyness is still there, where you have good lighting. Alternatively if you have a camera app which allows manual camera settings you could play with the ISO setting and then you would see what I mean.

Personally I don't think it looks that bad, if you look at the floor at your puppy they don't look too grainy for me. However I am not expert and I don't own a MXPE so I could be wrong about this. What I would say is have a go maybe outside where the lighting is better and more natural.

Also P.S. the grainyness can, I think don't quote me on this, come form the compression of the video and will depend on the type of file which is outputted by the camera (e.g MP4, AVHCH etc..) although am not sure if you can control this.