Moto X Pure 2015 text goes wonky, how can I stop this?

Pennelle

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Moto X Pure 2015 text goes wonky

Every few days texting takes on a life of its own, starts randomly and rapidly composing nonsensical strings of letters and words which I cannot stop. The X/erase button does not work. Putting my finger within the text results in green trails. I must turn off or restart my phone to stop this behavior.
Have had the phone about 2 weeks; only added 2 apps - weather underground and pedometer which did not affect the phone at time of adding them.
I close my apps faithfully, having learned to do that when my phone started flashing webpages rapidly as well as the text feature going wonky.
Also, some text messages have to be downloaded to read them.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X Pure 2015 text goes wonky

Welcome to the forums. Have you tried a reboot? Have you had any updates to the device? If so, have you done a reset?

Pennelle

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site

I have reset by holding down power button and restarting as well as turning completely off. Phone is up to date, though I cannot view updates.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Sorry...by a reset I mean a factory reset; like how it looks fresh out of the box.

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site

Yes, do a factory reset. If that doesn't fix the problem you would need to exchange the phone under warranty.

Pennelle

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for your advice. As I have a couple more weeks of warranty, I think I will wait to see if it happens again. If it does, I will do the factory reset, or more likely, return it.

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

This would happen to me when connected to a particular 3rd party USB cable. Perhaps that's the case here?

Pennelle

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site

Interesting. It happened once while sitting in car and once at home, no cables invoved. I'm praying to the android gods it will heal itself. Will keep you posted. Infers to me that may be some sort of exterior interference?? Ideas, anyone?

Pennelle

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
A friend had same problem with his iphone and attributed it to the screen being dirty. I'm a bit of a clean freak, but now clean my screen daily and have not had a repeat of the problem. It is also very important to constantly close your apps.

Pennelle

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
OK, please explain. My pure X would have fits, web pages flashing up in rapid order. The Best Buy tech told me it was because I wasn't closing my apps. I haven't had the problem since started closing apps. Just did a big update, so anticipating problems.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
OK, please explain. My pure X would have fits, web pages flashing up in rapid order. The Best Buy tech told me it was because I wasn't closing my apps. I haven't had the problem since started closing apps. Just did a big update, so anticipating problems.

That's your problem, you listened to a Best Buy tech...lol
In all seriousness, closing your apps won't hurt, but is not necessary. In fact, the more you close them, the more battery you'll use, and they will open slower than if you left them alone. Android does an excellent job of managing memory, battery life and other things behind the scenes. The old days, YES, but not anymore...it's actually better to leave them alone, unless of course you have a problem app that acts strangely if it's left open, them by all means, close it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Pennelle

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Today a new problem with the orange frame showing up and the phone taking on a life of its own. It got stuck and would not respond to touch. I had restarted it several times in a few hours as it kept getting stuck. I just exchanged it for a replacement. The tech who transferred my data used who knows what program! Every reply to FB or Craigslist was a new contact after the hour long transfer. Now I am spending the evening deleting hundreds and hundreds of contacts up to 10 years old. Evidently Motorola Migrate does not work with Marshmallow. So *+)*+_(^ time consuming!