Can I delete all apps with one button on the task manager?

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if there's a way to delete ALL the apps and web pages that show when you click the recent apps button (the little square icon) in one fell swoop? I've got hundreds of pages there when I touch it and trying to X them out one by one is taking a long time. Even if they're not somehow slowing down the system, I'm not particularly thrilled with anyone being able to see the content. It actually shows the body of emails you've read or written, texts, Facebook comments, etc.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately there is no way to remove then all at once. Swiping then away is slightly faster than clicking the x.

Posted via the Android Central App

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
The good is you can't have hundreds of cards (pages) in Recent apps (the square button - it:s not really intended to be a task manager, more like just a card file list of recently used apps). Its limited to 50.

The bad is there's no way to clear it all at once, only swiping one at a time.

If you don't want anyone to see what you were doing, back out of the app or swipe away the card.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if there's a way to delete ALL the apps and web pages that show when you click the recent apps button (the little square icon) in one fell swoop? I've got hundreds of pages there when I touch it and trying to X them out one by one is taking a long time. Even if they're not somehow slowing down the system, I'm not particularly thrilled with anyone being able to see the content. It actually shows the body of emails you've read or written, texts, Facebook comments, etc.

No, there isn't a way to remove all of the recent apps that show all at once. It's something that is available with a different ROM. Since Moto likes to use the Google Now Launcher by default we get what the Google Now Launcher gets.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Swipe swipe swipe.

That said, what's wrong with not doing that?

MotoXr

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
This is the first thing I noticed.

I run 2 apps that continuously run until they are manually closed. One app doesn't even allow the phone to going into sleep. It keeps the screen on indefinitely.
One is for my home security cameras(Everfocus) which keeps the phone from sleeping.
The other is for Pandora which gets triggered by my car stereo.

it's a PIA to scroll through to close those out alone. I would much rather close every single app out like I could on my rooted S4 running 4.4.2

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
HTC would disagree. The One A9 has a button to clear all.
Yeah, well not only did HTC bless us with Sense, they demonstrated their 'good ssnse' by such genius moves as making a deal with Cheetah Mobile to include friggin' Clean Master in the bloatware package included on their flagship M9.

Clearly HTC knows what is best for Android performance and strives to deliver optimum performance experience. The engineering department obviously wins arguments with the marketing department.

Gimme a break...

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, well not only did HTC bless us with Sense, they demonstrated their 'good ssnse' by such genius moves as making a deal with Cheetah Mobile to include friggin' Clean Master in the bloatware package included on their flagship M9.

Clearly HTC knows what is best for Android performance and strives to deliver optimum performance experience. The engineering department obviously wins arguments with the marketing department.

Gimme a break...

To be clear, you understand overview is not the same thing as running process? If I have fifty cards in overview and restart my phone, I will still have fifty cards in overview and approximately zero of them will be running.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
To be clear, you understand overview is not the same thing as running process? If I have fifty cards in overview and restart my phone, I will still have fifty cards in overview and approximately zero of them will be running.

Of course I understand. And you understand that some some of them could be running, probably at least more than zero are running, because they auto-restart? And if swiped away will not have a card in the file until the GUI interface is opened even though they restarted? (That overview thing). And that shutting them down manually with one button closes all causes unnecessary restarts, wasting CPU cycles and power?

HTC doesn't understand. And they don't understand what Cheetah Mobile is and does. Absolutely no excuse for this stuff.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Of course I understand. And you understand that some some of them could be running, probably at least more than zero are running, because they auto-restart? And if swiped away will not have a card in the file until the GUI interface is opened even though they restarted? (That overview thing). And that shutting them down manually with one button closes all causes unnecessary restarts, wasting CPU cycles and power?

HTC doesn't understand. And they don't understand what Cheetah Mobile is and does. Absolutely no excuse for this stuff.

That's why I said approximately zero.

There is no Cheetah Mobile on the A9 so I can't speak to that.

I don't recommend killing tasks indiscriminately. However, overview is a hot mess and sometimes it simply needs cleaned up or else you can't find what you are looking for.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Of what real benefit is having the recently used apps thing anyway? I never use it except to swipe stuff away every so often. I never use it to reopen an app I previously used. I just reopen the app the way I normally would open it in the first place, usually from the app tray. If it fills up with 50 "cards" who is going to scroll through them all just to find one they recently used? It's faster to just reopen it the normal way. It isn't like using "ALT" + "TAB" on Windows to swap between running apps. I just don't see the need for it at all. Whether I swipe them all away or leave them makes no difference in perceived performance. I would rather have a one button clears all option, or maybe some better use for the square icon.

vn33

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
HTC would disagree. The One A9 has a button to clear all.

My previous phone, the Sony Xperia Z Ultra also has this feature.
I believe Sony has this, and also "Restart" option on their version of Andriod.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Of what real benefit is having the recently used apps thing anyway? I never use it except to swipe stuff away every so often. I never use it to reopen an app I previously used. I just reopen the app the way I normally would open it in the first place, usually from the app tray. If it fills up with 50 "cards" who is going to scroll through them all just to find one they recently used? It's faster to just reopen it the normal way. It isn't like using "ALT" + "TAB" on Windows to swap between running apps. I just don't see the need for it at all. Whether I swipe them all away or leave them makes no difference in perceived performance. I would rather have a one button clears all option, or maybe some better use for the square icon.

The value, in theory, is that overview can have separate cards for multiple instances of the same app. So if, for instance, I open evernote three times to look at three different notes there should be three evernote cards in overview which link to their respective notes.
The reality, however, is that overview is unwieldy and most of the time it is faster to open an app from the home screen than to sort through 50+ cards looking for the proper "instance".
I think the idea of overview is good but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully it will be improved in the future.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch