Tethering on Straight Talk?

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know how to get USB tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot working on Straight Talk? When I try to select these in settings, it tells me to call AT&T to set up my account. For what it's worth, I had no issues using tethering on Straight Talk when UI had my OnePlus One.

MotoXr

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I researched this long before I got my phone because I'm use to rooted devices having tethering capability.

When you are running AT&T side of things within ST, you are blocked on BYOP plans.

I believe ST purchased phones that run off the same damn AT&T towers will allow you to tether. So....
If you were to purchase one of ST's phone's that run off AT&T towers then you can transfer your number to that SIM/phone, cut the card to Nano size and pop it in your Pure.
I also see people start phone with a blank Tmobile branded SIM, allow to initialize, then reboot and put the ST SIM back in after boot. This sounds like a total PIA and something that needs to be done whenever you restart your phone. Not to sure...

Or you could just root and alter the check_state value under provider settings.

I don't think I'll root this one, but we'll see. I don't particularly like all the Google bloatware...

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Straight Talk's policies explicitly prohibit tethering except in very limited circumstances. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2Flegal%2Fterms-and-conditions&token=4YyVib6a

You could probably side step that policy with a rooted phone. However, Straight Talk has very limited data alottment even on unlimited plans. So you'd probably run up against throttling at a minimum and outright cancellation at the more extreme end.

Susan Lewis1

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Straight Talk's policies explicitly prohibit tethering except in very limited circumstances. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e/h/legal/terms-and-conditions&token=gzWuply4

You could probably side step that policy with a rooted phone. However, Straight Talk has very limited data alottment even on unlimited plans. So you'd probably run up against throttling at a minimum and outright cancellation at the more extreme end.

It is so wrong that you can't tether your iPad or computer to use the data you pay for. Would anyone be interested in a class action suit? Straight talk lost their suit for unlimited data claims. They would lose this one too. I pay for 10g and I should be able to use it on a tether program.

Last edited by a moderator:

kf6kmx

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Straight Talk's policies explicitly prohibit tethering except in very limited circumstances. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2Flegal%2Fterms-and-conditions&token=nhOr-BzR

That's the precise reason I went with gophone when I had a second prepaid for use with a business line (company supplied iPhone would never Hotspot reliably to the Surface when I was on site and needed to order parts online) ... Gophone is the only one I talked to that explicitly ALLOWS wifi Hotspot... They don't care how you use the data you pay for (which is how it should be.... I paid for the data, it's no different if it's on the phone screen or the laptop).

Tinker-bella

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
How do you use Mobile Hotspot on Straight Talk?
What plan & device do you have ?

I am also in GA btw, Atlanta area.

I don't actually have a need to mobile hotspot with my phone, but I DO have the capability to do so.

I am on the Straight Talk Verizon MVNO and have a Moto X Pure XT1575.

To access the hotspot option on my phone, I need only use the pull down shade, tap edit, and drag the hotspot icon up.

Once you've added the icon, go back to your home screen, pull down the shade and tap (or long press) on the icon (once your data is turned on). You should be presented with your hotspot configuration options at that point.

Somebluedevil

Jan 1, 2018
Visit site
I don't actually have a need to mobile hotspot with my phone, but I DO have the capability to do so.

I am on the Straight Talk Verizon MVNO and have a Moto X Pure XT1575.

To access the hotspot option on my phone, I need only use the pull down shade, tap edit, and drag the hotspot icon up.

Once you've added the icon, go back to your home screen, pull down the shade and tap (or long press) on the icon (once your data is turned on). You should be presented with your hotspot configuration options at that point.

Yeah, my Sony Xperia unlocked has that same feature. You can turn Portable WiFi Hotspot on but it gives you the "no internet access" when you're connecting a device, like a PC or tablet.

Brother tried from his phone using his Virgin Mobile service and it works just fine.

Looks like I'll be shopping for a new BYOP cell service.

Leslie Hulsey

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
I know for a fact that Cricket lets you Hotspot on their plans. They do charge an extra $10 bucks and you do have to be on a certain plan, the 8 gig plan, but hey, they do have the option! So, Cricket is advanced on this way above ST! Hope this helps out!

Justin S1

Mar 17, 2018
Visit site
I am in for class action suit !!! I just spent 500 plus plan and insurance for my galaxy s7 and can't even turn on a hotspot for my kids tablet when traveling and none of that is disclosed at point of sale when you expect it

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's actually in the Straight Talk agreement, which the consumer is technically supposed to read (although most don't). Proceeding with the transaction is implicit acceptance of the agreement. I doubt a class action would be considered to have any merit by a judge (but then again, I'm not a lawyer).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am in for class action suit !!! I just spent 500 plus plan and insurance for my galaxy s7 and can't even turn on a hotspot for my kids tablet when traveling and none of that is disclosed at point of sale when you expect it

Does your plan allow for tethering?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Does your plan allow for tethering?

Nope... Directly from https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2Flegal%2Fterms-and-conditions&token=GoSPkk0_

7. UNAUTHORIZED USE OF SERVICEYour Service (i.e., voice, text, or data services) may only be used for the following purposes: (a) person to person voice calls, (b) text and picture messaging, and (c) web browsing, email, ordinary content downloads and uploads, and video and audio streaming without excessively contributing to network congestion.
Your Service may not be used in connection with certain unauthorized uses that may adversely impact other customers using our Service or the Carrier’s network. Examples of some unauthorized uses include, but are not limited to, the following:
(i) continuous uninterrupted voice calls or otherwise using your voice service to provide monitoring services, data transmission, transmission of broadcasts, transmission of recorded material, interconnection to other networks, telemarketing activity, autodialed calls, or robocalls;
(ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address;
(iii) uninterrupted and continuous web browsing uploading, downloading, or streaming of audio or video;
(iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer ("P2P") file sharing;
(v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections;
(vi) access to the internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit (excluding all hotspot applications),
(vii) any applications that allow your phone to act as an internet access point or Wi-Fi for other devices and computers unless such use is allowed under your Plan.

No offense, but it is clearly defined here... Although I doubt I know every Straight Talk plan, only Hotspot specific plans allow for tethering, all "regular" smartphone plans do not regardless of the amount of data included.

crazeecarroll

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Straight Talk has the Majesty Pro which has hotspot capabilities. Since that is a ST phone that's right from Wal-Mart's product listing does that mean it's allowed?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Straight Talk has the Majesty Pro which has hotspot capabilities. Since that is a ST phone that's right from Wal-Mart's product listing does that mean it's allowed?
Nope... the phone's hardware and software support it, but not the ST plans, and it will not allow it be turned on. It's a marketing gimmick. There is NO TETHERING on Straight Talk voice/data plans, except Hotspot specific plans, which do not include voice.

Now, if you got a voice only SIM and a Hotspot SIM, and a dual SIM device like a Huawei Honor 7X or Axon 7 or something... Maybe you could get both in one device.

Allaboutthemoney

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know how to get USB tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot working on Straight Talk? When I try to select these in settings, it tells me to call AT&T to set up my account. For what it's worth, I had no issues using tethering on Straight Talk when UI had my OnePlus One.

Yes! Google search PdaNet+, download and install onto phone and a laptop computer running Windows 10 or any OS that is able to turn on Mobile Hotspot through a computer if OS differs make sure PdaNet is compatible with that OS follow the instructions and it will work the wireless hotspot setting does not work but the USB tethering to Computer Works flawlessly on a computer just make sure to turn on Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10 don't have to search for it the little PdaNet icon will give you a option to open Windows mobile hotspot page you will be allowed to connect any device you want up to eight devices at a time only because that is what windows allows to be connected at one time wirelessly make sure you have your Wi-Fi turned off on your phone and does not allowed to Auto reconnect because if it does then PdaNet will use your Wi-Fi internet data and not Straight Talk's phone data keep Wi-Fi off and you will solely and only use Straight Talk data I run Xbox live off of it. One other thingMake sure in the app you also select hide usage from carrier you do not have to be rooted to use this

Last edited:

Creative Designs

Jul 5, 2018
Visit site
Download the app on Android called "settings database editor" and find the "mhs hidden SSID visibility" set the value to "1" and on almost all droids that support hotspot it will unlock hotspot. the app icon is red with a blue settings icon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae