Does anyone have any good instructions for downloading the update to the phone on Lte and installing the marshmallow update? No wifi at present...where do I get the download and how do I install afterwards?
    12-09-2015 07:30 PM
    You should be able to download and install MM using LTE. It just uses that much data. Just make sure you have a pretty full battery or you're plugged in.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-09-2015 11:30 PM
    did anyone find out how? it won't allow us to here.
    12-09-2015 11:37 PM
    If your data plan is too small, you might want to look for free public WiFi, such as at McDonald's, Starbucks, your public library, etc.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    12-09-2015 11:38 PM
    You should be able to download and install MM using LTE. It just uses that much data. Just make sure you have a pretty full battery or you're plugged in.

The update prompt requires you to be on Wi-Fi.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-10-2015 10:51 AM
    This is beyond annoying for me.
    12-10-2015 07:50 PM
    Not for everyone but this is a good reason why it's good to have a spare phone or two. I've kept all my iterations of moto gs and e's. They are relatively inexpensive phones some have used the moto e lte as a hotspot or media player too since it's so cheap I. I did at one point.

I'm using my nexus 6 as a WiFi hotspot to download the update. A little slow since the reception is crappy where I am but I'm patient. But McDonalds or Starbucks is your best bet if you need to download an update. Starbucks has faster Google WiFi but McDonalds are everywhere.

12-10-2015 09:13 PM
    The update prompt requires you to be on Wi-Fi.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    Really? It used to just recommend wifi for the downloads. I don't have it yet, so I assumed it hadn't changed.
    12-11-2015 01:02 AM
    Really? It used to just recommend wifi for the downloads. I don't have it yet, so I assumed it hadn't changed.
    This time around it requires a WiFi connection.

You could try Motorola Device Manager https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ail/a_id/88481
    12-11-2015 11:12 AM
    I can't get the device manager to work.
    12-11-2015 01:31 PM
    We just tethered
    12-11-2015 11:53 PM
    Finally went to a laundromat and got my marshmallow update... . Pretty pleased so far. Couldn't be happier that hotspot still works on 6.0 with Verizon unlimited data.
    12-16-2015 06:55 PM
    I can't get the device manager to work.
    What issue are you having?
    12-28-2015 01:54 PM
    SOLVED!

Phone = LG V20 (out of the box) Android 7.0 Nougat

I was furious, I use my data and hotspot for everything. I gave up searching google for an answer, this is really the only relevant page that came up in the search and I hope that this comment helps others.

An option to enable software downloads via mobile data came up when I put my sim back in my old phone and attempted download via hotspot. I selected that option and paused the download. I then switched back and resumed the download and it's working.

I hope that selecting that option will fix it for good but I don't know. For now I just wanted to share a way for others to do this. If you don't have access to an old phone then try to find a friend that you can connect to for 1% of the download and then resume like I did (you might need to remove your sim as well).

I don't know why they have made this so complicated if it is actually possible in the end so LG if you're reading this, GFY.

# How to download software updates with mobile data / without wifi
    04-21-2017 07:37 AM