Motorola Customer Service: Moto Care and terrible service experience

Crazy Yankee

Jul 20, 2010
www.crazyyankeesportfishing.com
Let me start off with I LOVE the phone, and I am really missing not having it right now. I broke my screen 2 weeks ago during Thanksgiving weekend. I called Motorola that Monday and put in a claim. I paid the $$ when I purchased the phone for the Moto Care insurance. Well, I was told 4-5 days when I made the call. That came and went. Called up and was told they didn't have any to send out, and the phone was on backorder. They offered me no other option (for example sending me a Moto G for the time being), and said it wouldn't be in for a week or two. That puts me without a workable phone for almost a month. I don't find this very acceptable? With Verizon insurance I used to have a phone at my door within 2 days max. Anyone else experience a similar situation?

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto Care and terrible service experience

Let me start off with I LOVE the phone, and I am really missing not having it right now. I broke my screen 2 weeks ago during Thanksgiving weekend. I called Motorola that Monday and put in a claim. I paid the $$ when I purchased the phone for the Moto Care insurance. Well, I was told 4-5 days when I made the call. That came and went. Called up and was told they didn't have any to send out, and the phone was on backorder. They offered me no other option (for example sending me a Moto G for the time being), and said it wouldn't be in for a week or two. That puts me without a workable phone for almost a month. I don't find this very acceptable? With Verizon insurance I used to have a phone at my door within 2 days max. Anyone else experience a similar situation?

I haven't experienced a similar situation as you. I'm sorry that you have had a bad experience with them. I would suggest that you head over to the Motorola support forums. They have Xperts that are always in the forums. They may be able to speed up the process. I have seen some people with similar issues as yours get resolved once they bring it up in their forums.

tk42one

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

That doesn't sound good. I, too, bought the extended 2-year warranty on my Moto X.

I was hoping the experience would be better than what I had with Sony (one month of no real response, then a cryptic email saying they didn't have any more in stock, then another month of waiting around for a refund check).

lkmel

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

That's terrible -- I too just dropped my phone on Sunday, cracked the screen rendering the phone unusable. I went on-line, put in the Moto Care claim, printed out all the information and boxed up the phone. Dropped it off at FedEx Monday morning. According to their information, the phone should be fixed and sent back within 4 business days of arriving at their location.

I am holding out to see if this is true -- it's my first time dropping a phone and having the screen crack. Has anyone had a positive experience with Moto Care?

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately this has been the norm. Many similar stories over on the Moto forums. They don't have any refurbished phones to send out so they are leaving customers high and dry. Moto needs to man up and send out new phones to customers or provide a reasonable solution. The current course of action will only hurt them in the long run.

ManiacalMF

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

My experience lasted about two weeks:

I dropped my phone on Sunday Nov 29, screen shattered. Immediately filed a claim online via the website, requested the Advance Placement option (where they send you a replacement phone first, then you send them the broken phone). After 5 business days since I made the claim (Dec 4), I hadn't received any email about the replacement device being shipped. I started an online chat with a Motorola representative asking for any update, and they said no new info was showing up on their side. She suggested that I call the 800 number to get to the Repair Escalation Department and gave me a reference number so they can see further into the issue.

Called the number, and same thing, no new info on their side. He told me the typical shipping time frame for the Advance Placement option using my situation as an example: if the claim is made on Sunday, the warehouse will get the information on Monday, on Tuesday/Wednesday (depending on orders, I guess) the device would be shipped out, and the customer typically would have the device in hand on Friday or following Monday. He put me on hold for one more minute to investigate something else. He came back on the line, asked if my device was a customized device, I said yes. He then said that the time frame he told me about was for a standard device. For a customized device, it would take about 7-10 business days, rather than the quoted 4-5. Argh, fine.

That following Monday (Dec 7), I called again, hoping I would be told something different. This time I specifically asked to talk with the Repair Escalation Department (I think the last phone call was with a general repair dept). I gave the reference number, told them my story thus far, and they had told me that the device was out of stock (?!?!?!!) and would put my ticket as high priority. *Maybe* a couple of hours passed, and I received an email with a redemption code to use in Moto Maker. I called Motorola just to make sure this code was in reference to my broken device and they confirmed. Ordered the device that day, it got shipped a couple of days later (Dec 9), received an email with an attached packing slip for my broken device the next day, phone finally in my hands on Saturday (Dec 12).

All in all, yes quite the ordeal. I've read it's easier/more efficient if you make a claim via chat, that way they immediately give you the code for a new phone and you don't have to wait. Also, I apologize for my overuse of parentheses.

lkmel

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Sounds like they don't keep within their time frames. They said in the Moto care documentation that it takes 4 business days from receipt of he phone to fix it. I did not request an advance temporary replacement because that was an additional $25 on top of the $50 for the accidental fix.

Anyone had their phone fixed and returned within the the 4 business day timeframe?

lkmel

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

An update: After about 6 business days since Motorola received my phone, I received a code to order a new phone yesterday. When I called to confirm this was true, they said due to not being able to fix my phone in time they provided a code. Now, it looks like I'll be getting a brand new replacement with an estimated delivery of January 8th.

They charged an additional $25 but was told this would be reimbursed.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

This is all disappointing to hear. When I broke my 2014 Moto X I was given a choice to design a phone immediately and the phone shipped within two days. I paid my deductible and a hold was put on my card until they received the damaged phone. However, there was no additional charge for advanced replacement.
Sounds like things have changed for the worse.

Posted via the Android Central App

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I'd feel better about Moto Care if there were more positive reviews of the service.

Crazy Yankee

Jul 20, 2010

Well, I dropped my phone the weekend of Thanksgiving, and I still don't have a functional replacement in hand. All the customer service teams I'm sent to there have been horrible to deal with. It seems they all ask the same questions when you'd think there would be notes in their system about my case. I've done nothing but praise Motorola for years because I really liked their phones, but they lost a customer and promoter in me. Ugh.....

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

Yeah Motorola's customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I had to call them before and I just had to be patient with them. I was transferred multiple times before getting to the correct person. I had to explain the issue on numerous occasions. Finally, I was able to get my Advance Exchange taken care of and my replacement is set to be delivered today. It wasn't weeks on in like some of the stories on here but it wasn't all taken care of in one day. I understand that there is a need for cheap labor but if they improve the customer service part and the update process then they can become better in the hearts of consumers like us.

Crazy Yankee

Jul 20, 2010

WOW! This gets better! Still without a Moto X PE since Thanksgiving! They have my broken phone AND the replacement I sent back that didn't work!

I called last week, and finally was told I'd be given a "code" to order a new one in 72 hours. Never got it!

Today I get an e-mail with an RGA tied to it to return my phone!

So done with Motorola, or MOTO, or whatever they want to be called. This will be my last purchase of anything made by them!

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Bummer! A truly horrific experience. All of my contact with Motorola has been test of wills, but eventually I had a successful outcome. It shouldn't be this hard.

All this leaves me to wonder, who has the best customer service?

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site

Apple, duh. You can walk into an apple store and they'll hand you a new phone for your broken one.
I dropped my mxpe the other day for the first time and this thread and others flashed before my eyes. Thankfully, it was fine.
Sorry to hear about your troubles op! I can't believe you still don't have a replacement! Lame.

Posted via the Android Central App

Thom55

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I have no problem with the phone, yet. My problem is or was trying to buy the phone from Motorola by using Moto Maker. I made the sinful mistake of asking the phone be delivered to my business address instead of the billing address. It's more convenient for me and I do this with other businesses all the time. Once I did this, I got an email saying the order had been cancelled or placed on hold. I called and they promised to get back to me. Two more calls and week of it sitting in their review process which they initially promised was 24 hours only, I felt I had to actually cancel my order as it seemed they had completely forgotten me. I called them three times and the answers I received bordered on being ridiculous lies or very funny stories. No one seemed to care that I wanted to purchase the phone. Probably stupidly, I then ordered the Moto X Pure Edition from Amazon. I really wanted the phone but am not so sure about it, now. Tomorrow, I get it and I know that if I don't like it, Amazon will take care of me. I am upset I did not get to personalize the phone but it was never a deal breaker.

65fastback

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

I'm getting a replacement MotoX and as soon as I get it its for sale. I'm switching back to a Nexus phone.

Dont get me wrong..LOVEEEE the phone. I absolutely will not deal with a company that pulls this service crap.

I had to shell out a $250 security deposit and a $25 "Premium fee" to get my phone replaced under warranty...3 months old.

That isnt tolerable.

ebarr01

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

I am in the same boat....I have sent my phone off for repair mid December. I did receive a broken phone as my replacement which I promptly returned. Since then I can not get an answer from anyone. I have searched everywhere for Corporate number...Nothing. I have repeatedly called and continue to get the run around. Each time I call I get and extended date from the last one. I don't think I have ever been treated this way as a customer from any company. I will never purchase another Motorola device.

65fastback

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

got my replacement phone today....a refurbished piece of crap that is locked by the previous owner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37