Don't Count on Asurion

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I got my Moto X Pure Edition a little over a month ago and tonight the unthinkable happened.... it fell on tile flooring and the screen shattered (won't even respond to touch). :'(
Being a long time Verizon customer I figured no big deal, I'll just go to the insurance company's website, submit a claim, and they'll have a new one overnighted to me (haven't had to use the insurance since my HTC Thunderbolt days). Well after about half an hour on their website, it said I had to call to finish because the MXPE is out of stock. In an effort to get everything done I decided to go ahead and call them. After waiting for 30 minutes to speak to an actual person, the rep proceeds to tell me that the MXPE is an old phone and is no longer being produced (HA). She then places me on hold while she looks for a suitable replacement (even after I stated that I only wanted a MXPE), after about 10 seconds of hold the call ends.
Well long story short, this happened THREE times! On the fourth time I got to a supervisor who said the MXPE cannot be replaced through Asurion because it isn't a Verizon branded device (even though Asurion isn't a Verizon specific insurance company). The only way to proceed would be if I went out and purchased an identical phone, sent the receipt via fax, and then waited for a check in the mail. I decided just to go ahead and do the reimbursement method but it is amazing that Asurion can't simply order the phone themselves through Moto's website (or send me a code to do it myself). Now instead of getting a new phone tomorrow for only $99, I have to put out $500 temporarily and wait until January 5th for the new one to arrive from Moto.

Overall, I am very unhappy with Asurion's experience on this claim. Seriously thinking about dropping Asurion and picking up Motorola's MotoCare as it looks cheaper (Asurion is $8 a month and $99 deductible whereas Moto is $79 for 2 years and $49 deductible) and a lot easier (no hassle).

Does anyone have any experience with MotoCare and if so does it seem to work as advertised?

lkmel

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Had the same thing happen to me - dropped my phone on tile flooring and the screen cracked. I couldn't use the phone either. Luckily I purchased MotoCare. Filled out the forms, paid the $49 replacement fee and they received it Friday afternoon. They said it takes 4 business days to fix the phone and send over a replacement.

I chatted with the care and they said that I will be sent a phone that isn't new but isn't refurbished - not sure what that means but guess will wait and see. I'll let you know if I get an email after the 4th business day. Hoping MotoCare sticks to their warranty.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
When I broke my 2014 X I contacted moto care and they sent me a code to design a new phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

n8prkr

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I have asurion via verizon at $7 a month. I was weighing the option of keeping the coverage or dropping it to save the money so I went to asurions website to verify that they covered the phone. I found it difficult to find the phone on their site, but eventually I did. The main reason I was considering keeping the coverage is that moto care, which I also purchased, doesn't cover a lost or stolen device. If they are willing to reimburse the cost of a new device, I'd say $84 a year to cover a lost/stolen device is plenty worth it. All in all, moto care included, I expect to pay $264 (plus deductibles) over two years for complete coverage of this over $400 device.
Pretty decent deal in my opinion.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I have asurion via verizon at $7 a month. I was weighing the option of keeping the coverage or dropping it to save the money so I went to asurions website to verify that they covered the phone. I found it difficult to find the phone on their site, but eventually I did. The main reason I was considering keeping the coverage is that moto care, which I also purchased, doesn't cover a lost or stolen device. If they are willing to reimburse the cost of a new device, I'd say $84 a year to cover a lost/stolen device is plenty worth it. All in all, moto care included, I expect to pay $264 (plus deductibles) over two years for complete coverage of this over $400 device.
Pretty decent deal in my opinion.

If you expect a greater than 50% chance your device is going to be lost or stolen maybe it's a good deal. But you could also buy a used one for not much more than your premiums.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't expect insurance purchased and paid for through a carrier to stock/support a device not available through that carrier.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

n8prkr

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
If you expect a greater than 50% chance your device is going to be lost or stolen maybe it's a good deal. But you could also buy a used one for not much more than your premiums.

I've used asurion to replace a handful of lost phones. On almost every occasion the phone was replaced with a refurbished, like new device. If they are willing to cut a check for a brand new device I'd say it's a win.

n8prkr

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't expect insurance purchased and paid for through a carrier to stock/support a device not available through that carrier.

This device is covered on their website.

n8prkr

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
This one is better, shows ASURION along the top. Was cut off in previous screen shot

Attachments

• 3923.jpg
    3923.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 100

owb2gp

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Definitely don't count on them. I dropped/broke my MXPE last week. Only options were Motorola Droid Maxx 2 and Droid Turbo. They would not allow me to buy a MXPE from Amazon or Motorola and reimburse me. I ended up taking the Droid Maxx 2 and selling it. Bought a new MXPE from Amazon. They bent me over!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Definitely don't count on them. I dropped/broke my MXPE last week. Only options were Motorola Droid Maxx 2 and Droid Turbo. They would not allow me to buy a MXPE from Amazon or Motorola and reimburse me. I ended up taking the Droid Maxx 2 and selling it. Bought a new MXPE from Amazon. They bent me over!

Hmm. So they'll cover the phone but you can't get the same phone as a replacement?

owb2gp

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Hmm. So they'll cover the phone but you can't get the same phone as a replacement?

Nope. I tried the chat 3 times and called them 3 times. Talked with a manager twice. They said my MXPE was an old device and I would have to pick from the two choices they gave me.

Tom Furlan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I got my Moto X Pure Edition a little over a month ago and tonight the unthinkable happened.... it fell on tile flooring and the screen shattered (won't even respond to touch). :'(
Being a long time Verizon customer I figured no big deal, I'll just go to the insurance company's website, submit a claim, and they'll have a new one overnighted to me (haven't had to use the insurance since my HTC Thunderbolt days). Well after about half an hour on their website, it said I had to call to finish because the MXPE is out of stock. In an effort to get everything done I decided to go ahead and call them. After waiting for 30 minutes to speak to an actual person, the rep proceeds to tell me that the MXPE is an old phone and is no longer being produced (HA). She then places me on hold while she looks for a suitable replacement (even after I stated that I only wanted a MXPE), after about 10 seconds of hold the call ends.
Well long story short, this happened THREE times! On the fourth time I got to a supervisor who said the MXPE cannot be replaced through Asurion because it isn't a Verizon branded device (even though Asurion isn't a Verizon specific insurance company). The only way to proceed would be if I went out and purchased an identical phone, sent the receipt via fax, and then waited for a check in the mail. I decided just to go ahead and do the reimbursement method but it is amazing that Asurion can't simply order the phone themselves through Moto's website (or send me a code to do it myself). Now instead of getting a new phone tomorrow for only $99, I have to put out $500 temporarily and wait until January 5th for the new one to arrive from Moto.

Overall, I am very unhappy with Asurion's experience on this claim. Seriously thinking about dropping Asurion and picking up Motorola's MotoCare as it looks cheaper (Asurion is $8 a month and $99 deductible whereas Moto is $79 for 2 years and $49 deductible) and a lot easier (no hassle).

Does anyone have any experience with MotoCare and if so does it seem to work as advertised?

Think you'd better search these boards (and others) for Moto Care experiences. I purchased moto care with my phone, but after reading numerous horror stories, I decided to cancel the insurance and just keep my old phone as a backup. Not saying it isn't good for some people, just do your research before jumping in.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Think you'd better search these boards (and others) for Moto Care experiences. I purchased moto care with my phone, but after reading numerous horror stories, I decided to cancel the insurance and just keep my old phone as a backup. Not saying it isn't good for some people, just do your research before jumping in.

MotoCare is the best value, hands down. Lowest cost with the lowest deductible ... Too bad it didn't work for me.