Doze no longer working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mentalitarium

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Not sure what category this should go into as I'm new to the forum but

I've been having a weird experience with my Moto X 2015. I got the 6.0 update not too long ago, and overall it's been treating me fine. I tried out Doze and it worked really well (only went from 100% to ~97% overnight). This continued for a while but then suddenly one morning i woke up with my battery at 80% with my phone charged to 100% when I went to sleep.

I usually turn on DND when I go to bed and that night I didn't, so I thought that was the issue. The next night I turned on DND and the following morning it was only at 96%.
Problem solved? Well, the next night I did the same thing and it went down ~20% overnight.

My next "experiment" was to see if turning on battery saving mode helped. I had tried it a long time ago and it helped me save about as much overnight as Doze does (or did). However this time, I believe it was still down about 15% the next morning. I thought maybe battery saving mode somehow deactivated Doze, but that seems a bit counter-intuitive to me.

Last night, I put my phone down with about 60% and it went down about 25% overnight.

So basically, I'm really at a loss with Doze. It doesn't seem to work anymore. If it is working, it's not doing a very good job. Some helpful info would probably be that yes I do keep my phone still overnight, it's not on my bed so there isn't movement. My battery life when using the phone is fine, it hasn't worsened with casual use, just on standby. Also, I usually only sleep between 6 and 8 hours a night, so it's not like I'm sleeping absurdly long.

I was also thinking maybe this is a problem that will be solved in a 6.0.1 update as I haven't received that update yet, I'm only on 6.0.0.

What worries me is not so much that Doze isn't working, but that I'm losing upwards of 15% on standby over the course of 8 hours. With Doze I would expect to just lose 1% per hour, ideally less. And that's basically what I had gotten before I had problems.

I just really want some help with this because it's very frustrating and hard to really fix as to activate Doze I need to have my phone sitting still with the screen off for between 30-60 minutes and leave it for around 8 hours. Not exactly ideal when I can only do that nightly. Am I just going to have to keep plugging my phone in at night again? I mean i know being at 80% in the morning isn't a huge complication, not like having 0%, but this could pose a problem if I forget to plug it in at 50% or lower and wake up with like 20%. And yes the turbo charger is a pretty brilliant thing, but Doze is a major feature of marshmallow and if I can't take advantage, it will be quite a bummer.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
First, your doze experience is likely to be fully dependent on how good a cellular signal you have. If it's poor (yellow or red in the cellular bar under battery details), its going to drain a loooooot more power, even if it does go into doze.

More likely though, there's a rogue app on the phone that's not letting the phone doze. If you check the "Awake" bar under the battery details, there should hardly be any green when its dozing. If there's a lot of green, or worse yet, a solid green bar, then the phone is being kept awake by something. The thing to check is what's been recently installed or updated. It could be something like that. Also, any app by Facebook tends to be *extremely* doze unfriendly. If you have facebook apps, try uninstalling them and see how it goes.

When my phone is dozing, I lose about 4% overnight. I'm sure if I turned it to airplane mode I'd get more, but I leave the cellular and wifi on.

mentalitarium

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
okay, thanks! I'll look into all that and see what happens. my cell signal isn't too bad i don't think, like 4/5 bar average. but i'll experiment and see what's going on. appreciate the response!

mentalitarium

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
i do remember having a bunch of thin green lines under the "awake" section of what's using battery. not solid, but a whole bunch of thin bars. however the only things using battery were "cell standby", "android system", "google services", and "android OS". i'll still look into it, but i thought that info might help.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Some apps (like Facebook and others) that keep the phone awake don't show in the apps using battery. They're not necessarily using the battery per se, but are keeping the phone from dozing, which uses more battery overall. I know a while back, I had an app that was keeping the phone from dozing (which has been fixed since then - I reinstalled a recent update to check), that didn't show up in the battery usage list. The fact that there's a lot of thin lines means something is causing the phone to awaken; under ideal doze circumstances, that would be almost completely devoid of bars.

One thing to check is Bluetooth. If it's on, it may be connecting to something, which would tend wake up the phone. I have an app (Silence Premium) that schedules my DND mode and it has a setting to turn off Bluetooth when DND is active (basically when I'm sleeping). You may want to see if disabling Bluetooth overnight (unless you really need it on for some specific reason) helps the phone doze.

mentalitarium

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Could it by some chance be my location toggled on? And would checking the permissions for all of my apps be helpful? To see if there's something I've given permission to do that would wake my phone up so often?

mentalitarium

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Screenshot_20151230-130406.jpg

Heres a screenshot of last night. It actually does seem that my cell standby might be the culprit. I'm going to have to try airplane mode or something tonight and see if that helps. I'm noticing, at this moment actually, that as I'm sitting still in my bed my cell signal drops from 4/5 to 1/5 and back up to 4/5 pretty frequently (as you can coincidentally see in the screenshot).

Do you think there are any cell settings I can try to limit how much it searches? Airplane mode will be helpful to figure out if my cell signal is the issue but it can't really be a permanent fix for me.

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Am I just going to have to keep plugging my phone in at night again?

I don't have a solution to your Doze problem but I'm curious why you are averse to plugging the phone in at night. I know you aren't the only one...it seems more and more people prefer not to plug in their phone at night and I don't understand why.

If the phone is plugged in overnight...you are guaranteed to wake up to a fully charged phone. You don't have to worry about Doze not working or anything else draining your battery. Battery chargers plugged in overnight will not harm batteries or reduce their life (I know some people will argue with this but I'm not going to argue because it's an argument that seems unwinnable).

Also, if the phone is set for Do-Not-Disturb...why not turn the phone off? It boots up so quickly.

Anyway, I understand everyone does this differently but I am curious as to your disdain for being plugged in overnight.

mentalitarium

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Honestly its just a preference. I know it doesn't damage anything. Its more that I will often forget to plug it in because I have to fish for the cord in the dark and I'll just pass out and wake up with a lower battery than I would like especially since the Moto X doesn't have an outstanding battery. I would plug it in if I had a good dock, because I prefer to have it sitting up if its by my bedside, but I don't have a good dock and I haven't found a good micro USB dock. I just have a wireless charging stand which I use simply as a stand but I don't plug my phone in because its just kind of awkward. I have an angled charging cable but it still will fall over fairly easily. I got used to wireless charging with my last phone but it was something I was willing to give up for the new Moto X. But that also left me with a basically useless qi wireless stand aside from sitting my phone up at my bedside.

Honestly if there was a good dock anybody could suggest I'd be happy with that as well. Its just more of a preference than anything really though.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
First, your doze experience is likely to be fully dependent on how good a cellular signal you have. If it's poor (yellow or red in the cellular bar under battery details), its going to drain a loooooot more power, even if it does go into doze.

More likely though, there's a rogue app on the phone that's not letting the phone doze. If you check the "Awake" bar under the battery details, there should hardly be any green when its dozing. If there's a lot of green, or worse yet, a solid green bar, then the phone is being kept awake by something. The thing to check is what's been recently installed or updated. It could be something like that. Also, any app by Facebook tends to be *extremely* doze unfriendly. If you have facebook apps, try uninstalling them and see how it goes.

When my phone is dozing, I lose about 4% overnight. I'm sure if I turned it to airplane mode I'd get more, but I leave the cellular and wifi on.
I think you are onto something about Facebook being the culprit. I typically charge my device overnight, but I've kept it off the charger several times overnight. I also only lost ~4%. I also kept on both WiFi and cellular. I don't have anything from Facebook installed.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Just as a trial, I charged my Pure to 100% *before* bedtime for a change, turned it face down and un-plugged and went to sleep.

In 8 hours it had used 2%.

While I watched a whole lotta college bowl games I didn't use it often thru the day. Curve is very flat during several periods.

Dozed.png

mentalitarium

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
So either by coincidence or because I found the problem, after uninstalling Amber Weather it works fine. I was using a widget and I guess maybe the updating every hour must have woken up my phone? I didn't care enough to make the interval any longer so I just uninstalled it and its been fine for a few nights in a row. I'm going to keep doing it and see if it continues or if there's another issue. Thanks for all the help everyone! I might need more soon, but for now I think I'm fine!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
So either by coincidence or because I found the problem, after uninstalling Amber Weather it works fine. I was using a widget and I guess maybe the updating every hour must have woken up my phone? I didn't care enough to make the interval any longer so I just uninstalled it and its been fine for a few nights in a row. I'm going to keep doing it and see if it continues or if there's another issue. Thanks for all the help everyone! I might need more soon, but for now I think I'm fine!
I'm glad you got it sorted.

I'll close this thread since everything is OK now. Please send a PM if you have any problems and need the thread reopened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo