Considering Android Pay

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, but if you look at the details of YOUR Tap 10 card, it does say that the Chromecast comes at the 10th tap. Some are seeing only songs at each tap level, no Chromecast. So this promo is too random for my taste haha.

You are correct, mine says free song at 1, 4, 7 taps and $35 credit in the Play Store for a Chromecast at 10 taps.

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I've read from others that Android Pay drains battery. Is this true?
And is Android Pay more or less useful than Google Wallet?

Posted via the Android Central App

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The only additional battery drain will come from having NFC on all the time (you could disable it until you need it but that defeats the convenience of tap and pay) and any time your screen spends turned on while making the payment.

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Been using Android Pay often since I set it up on my MXPE about six weeks ago, and I am liking it. Whole Foods takes it, my neighborhood Foodtown takes it, Century 21 Department Store takes it, as well Rite Aid. Basically any place that takes Apple Pay takes Android Pay, I've had a few cashiers be surprised that phones other than iPhones work! And more terminals are being turned on too, the lists out there of participating merchants are far from comprehensive.

I got the current Tap 10 promo - only songs though, at 2, 5 and 10 taps.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Been using Android Pay often since I set it up on my MXPE about six weeks ago, and I am liking it. Whole Foods takes it, my neighborhood Foodtown takes it, Century 21 Department Store takes it, as well Rite Aid. Basically any place that takes Apple Pay takes Android Pay, I've had a few cashiers be surprised that phones other than iPhones work! And more terminals are being turned on too, the lists out there of participating merchants are far from comprehensive.

Aha! See? There ARE people only getting songs for the promo :( I still got nothing haha so I'm even more screwed.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've read from others that Android Pay drains battery. Is this true?
And is Android Pay more or less useful than Google Wallet?

Posted via the Android Central App

Like hallux said, the biggest battery drain from Android Pay comes from the NFC chip. It's not a HUGE drain, mind you, but it's there. I keep NFC off and should I need to pay with it, I just go ahead and turn it on (or if it's off, when you open Android Pay it'll ask you to turn it on). But yeah, that defeats the tap and pay option, so you have to take a couple extra steps.

As for AP VS Wallet, the basic idea is the same, but now Wallet can only be used for peer-to-peer payments and Android Pay can be used to pay on NFC-enabled terminals with your default credit card. Think of Wallet like PayPal and of Android Pay like a chip-only credit card.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

I was wondering why I didn't get the Tap 10 promo. I thought that maybe it was going to people who don't use it to encourage new users. I guess that's not the case though and I just lost the Tap 10 lottery. No big deal, though it would have been nice.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering why I didn't get the Tap 10 promo. I thought that maybe it was going to people who don't use it to encourage new users. I guess that's not the case though and I just lost the Tap 10 lottery. No big deal, though it would have been nice.

Another user posted a response from Google Support saying that the promo 'officially' started on 1/19 AND that users selected were 'random' (although she does go on to say that some requirements must be met). So yeah, this is a weird promo. First with random users getting it, and then with random users getting Chromecasts as the grand prize and some just getting songs.