New contacts going in to wrong Google account

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had a strange thing happen to my Contacts list and hope you guys can help. It's a little confusing but here goes: I noticed the last few contacts I had added on my phone weren't on my list when I looked for them. I thought maybe I had forgot to hit "save" - the little check mark you tap after putting in all the info - so entered one again and then as I was about to save it, I noticed the field was set to a secondary Gmail account I have on my phone, not my main Gmail name that I use. The second account is one I have for email subscriptions, commenting on boards like this :) online purchases, etc. so I don't get my main Gmail account cluttered with spam and newsletters.

The problem is, I can't see a way to move a New Contact field over to my main Google account. Usually, when it's a Google product on the phone, I can choose which account I'm logged on and move between them, as I still can with my Gmail, YouTube and Google+ apps. But with Contacts it's set to that secondary account and there doesn't seem to be a way to switch it that I can see.

Note: in Contacts settings, under "Contacts to Display" I can have it set to "All contacts" which then gives me both accounts and I can see those new contacts I've recently added, BUT that then gives me all the nonsense stuff from that secondary account which I don't want in my contacts list. So how do I get the New Contact field to be defaulted to my main Google account as it always has been until recently?

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You shouldn't be 'logged in' to any account in your Contacts app, but when you CREATE a contact, you should be prompted on where to save it. THAT should show all your Google Accounts (I have three on my phone!). Just make sure that you select the right account and the next time you create a contact it should be the default one (it takes whatever you used last).

As for the contacts already created in the other account, you may be able to import them into your main account or just add them manually if they're not a bunch.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I've experienced this issue, with Android randomly switching the account to which new contacts save. I've if there is a way to transfer contacts between Google accounts of love to know.

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Well that's the thing. When I go to save a new contact it's now set to go into my secondary Google account and I can't see a way to change it. They were always going in to my main account until I noticed this a few days ago. I don't know how it changed and my question was how to get the default set back to be my main account.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
In theory once you select Google - Main Account when you create a contact, the next contact you create should be saved there by default unless you change it.

nturavgjoe

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
This is also happening to me. Prior to Marshmallow update I could add a new contact to my Droid Turbo 2 and have the opportunity to change which account on my device I could save to (I have multiple gmail accounts). After Marshmallow it does not let me choose. I am forced to save it to the default account. This is a pain as I am often saving contacts to multiple gmail accounts.

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I should have updated this post, but I found out what the issue was. When you are in Add New Contact mode, you have to scroll down to the very bottom of the screen to where it says More Fields - it's actually off my screen so you have to scroll under the Email field, which is the last one you can see - and there you can change the Google accounts.

I don't know why they make such a major field reside in the extra ones you have to actually work to get to, nor how it ever got switched from my main Google account to one of my secondaries, but now I've got it back on the main as the default setting for all new contacts.

Last edited:

rebootfl0k

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I should have updated this post, but I found out what the issue was. When you are in Add New Contact mode, you have to scroll down to the very bottom of the screen to where it says More Fields - it's actually off my screen so you have to scroll under the Email field, which is the last one you can see - and there you can change the Google accounts.

Thank you so much. I have been pulling out my hair trying to figure this out. This is the solution.

Chris Kutsch

May 15, 2016
Visit site
I was quite hopeful after reading this post, Unfortunately on my ZTE this solution does not work for me. Even under the extended options there is no way for me to change which account they are going into. It used to ask me which account I wanted to save it to but now it automatically puts them in the wrong one. If anyone has an alternate solution please post.

rawraj

May 30, 2017
Visit site
Thank you so much. I have been pulling out my hair trying to figure this out. This is the solution.
I dont see this option
I clicked on more fields. I am using Marshmallow. Moto X play

I reset my phone and when I saved my first contact after resetting it asked me for the account Accidentally i selected the wrong account.

Now I dont know how to change the default I have been through all setting just cant find it.

When I reset my phone I realized that a lot of contacts have been Randomly saving on other accounts. How to avoid that?
I added only one account and lot of contacts were not there.

normofthenorth

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
This may be obvious to everybody, but in case it isn't: After you select More Fields, you should see your (wrong) Google account near the top. Click on it and the menu/list with all your accounts should appear. Select the right one and voila! (Worked for me, thanks!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke