How hot is too hot? [Moto X Pure Edition]

turbo93

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I am quite happy with my Moto X P. The screen is awesome, build quality good, and much as I hate to admit, Android is OK :). Except the temperature...

I've noticed my phone will happily roast to 110F-112F after 15 min of Angry Birds 2. I contacted Motorola, and after a few exchanges they said the danger zone is 60C or 140+F. And that there is a built in mode to stop from going down in flames :). Temps reported via GSam. No case.

What I'd like to know is, is this reasonable? I develop software for similar devices and my users would have kittens if it got this warm...

Could someone try Angry Birds 2 for 15 min straight and report GSam temps? Nothing runs in background, I clean those up.

Thanks!

Matt Scruggs

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I was actually looking to see if anyone else noticed how hot this phone gets, and found your thread. I let the phone sit until the temp in gsam was 75 degrees, then opened Angry Birds 2 and played for exactly 15 minutes, and I was at 112 degrees at the end, reported by gsam. I can post a screenshot when I get back to a desktop

turbo93

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi Matt, this has been my experience as well. It seems it is related to the GPU (graphics) because Angry Birds 2 is very demanding. I have all the other games and the drawing action is far simpler, hence less load. I can play Angry Birds Rio and it won't go much over 100F.

I will try to run some benchmarks that do not involve the GPU (graphics processor) and see what happens.