iPhone user for 8 years - Android user for 1 day - Help please :-)

dpm1971

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
Decided I needed a change and was bored of iOS. - Bought a Moto X Pure Edition (Style).

Pain points:

My whatsapp and SMS history is stored in iCloud and it seems there is no way to bring this across to Android. - Does anyone have any experience or ideas they can suggest?

1Password sucks on Android. - Apparently there are clipboard security concerns and you can't copy and paste from 1Password into other apps. - There is a 1Password keyboard that can be added as a workaround but this is really cumbersome to switch between the two.

Few more minor things but they are probably related to my apple wired brain and I'll see if I can adjust.

Thanks for your replies.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Decided I needed a change and was bored of iOS. - Bought a Moto X Pure Edition (Style).

Pain points:

My whatsapp and SMS history is stored in iCloud and it seems there is no way to bring this across to Android. - Does anyone have any experience or ideas they can suggest?

1Password sucks on Android. - Apparently there are clipboard security concerns and you can't copy and paste from 1Password into other apps. - There is a 1Password keyboard that can be added as a workaround but this is really cumbersome to switch between the two.

Few more minor things but they are probably related to my apple wired brain and I'll see if I can adjust.

Thanks for your replies.

First, you can't blame Android for the fact Apple doesn't have a way for you to move things off iCloud. It's a secure, proprietary system.
That would be like switching banks and just expecting the new bank to know your info and grab your money with no permission.

1Password works PERFECT on my Galaxy S6. Including DropBox Sync. And I have no issues what so ever copying to clipboard and pasting.
Is this an issues specific to the Moto X Pure Edition? Because it's not an issue on my phone, so implying Android in general is not a fair comment.

Frankly, coming from such a proprietary device like an iPhone takes some getting used to but if you are someone that appreciates FREEDOM, then you will love your Android in no time.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

Pain points:

Thanks for your replies.

I found a link that may help. In terms of 1password, I use AppLock. I know there are differences between the two but just a suggestion if you're having issues.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/g...ary-android-google-play-music-upload-3493159/

Posted via the Android Central App

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Pain points:

Thanks for your replies.
It appears it is possible to transfer WhatsApp messages from icloud to Android that involves 3rd party apps, a pc/Mac, and your iPhone. So I guess it depends how bad you want your history.

I wish I could help you with your password manager but I've only used lastpass. I've run into a few apps that block pasting passwords but generally it shouldn't be an issue.

If you have any other questions, please ask and we will do our best to help.

dpm1971

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your reply :)

I wasn't implying that Android was the problem as such but rather that I have a problem and seemingly no available solution to move data from iCloud to the new device.

On the clipboard security issue, this link contains all the detail if you're interested. - It seems to be related to Android rather than a Moto X specific thing. https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=1password+android+clipboard+vulnerable

Thank man, enjoying "most" of the switch so far!

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Seems like most of that info is pre-lollipop and all of it is pre-marshmallow. I don't know the details but I believe things work different now. Although I do know I still have a few apps that lastpass can't fill directly. Perhaps there will be further improvement with Android N.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I made the same move, hardware wise now it's hard to split them and the S7 is a lovely device. I won;t deny that as an Apple person I often think about switching back but when I weigh up the pros and cons

Things I am missing:

- Apple music (sorry it is not useable on Android for me)
- Apple pay
- iCloud photo library, not a fan of google photos and got quite used to managing photos on icloud
- iMessage
- General app slickness
- Volume control on my wired headphones does not work
- Music integration, in my car (BMW) plug in iPhone and all my albums playlists etc are there. Just works better vs my S7 where I am stuck with bluetooth only

Things I like better on the S7

- Notification light (small thing I know)
- Notifications in general
- Blackberry hub
- Wireless charging (Come on Apple it's 2016 now!)
- SD card expansion including drag and drop
- Proper File browswer
- Always on display
- Launchers (love Nova)
- Apps that I cannot get on iOS e.g. Kodi

KeyserS0ze

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I've had a MotoXP 64GB since October and it's my first android phone as well but I've had a Nexus 7 tablet for several years so I was already familar with the Android OS.

I used SMS Backup & Restore to grab my SMS messages from my old iPhone 6, not sure if it's applicable for cloud saved messages. You definitely need to delete a lot of old iMessage threads and start a new one with those friends that have iPhones.

Also check out the Amazon Fire ear buds they work perfectly with the MXP (volume, pause/play) and act just like the ubiquitous stock white Apple versions. They are perfect for walking/talking etc when you still want to hear ambient noises in the city, etc. Other than that you would have to use bluetooth headphones as nothing else will really support all the functions.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay