May security patch?

colton groters

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Will we eventually get it? Feeling really upset that Motorola can't even roll out a security patch every month. I'm aware they didn't opt in to do it but... I don't see any reason why they can't

Posted via the Android Central App

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Will we eventually get it? Feeling really upset that Motorola can't even roll out a security patch every month. I'm aware they didn't opt in to do it but... I don't see any reason why they can't

The unlocked 10 already has the May security patch. It came with the software update last week.

Edit: Sorry, wrong forum. I should pay closer attention.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola never committed to providing the monthly security patch and disappointingly, they haven't said anything about them until they release them.

My third gen Moto X is on 2016-02-01.
My first gen Verizon Moto G is on 2016-03-01.
My second gen Verizon Moto E is on 2016-04-01.
My first gen Verizon Moto X is now on 2016-04-01.

Last edited:

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Apologies for the inadvertent post above.
My 3rd gen is also on the Feb security patch. I agree that it is disappointing that Motorola has not made a commitment to security updates. It is also disappointing that they have yet to push a 6.0.1 update for the Pure Edition. When they forwent carrier phones last year I thought it would mean great things for Motorola updates. Sadly that has not been the case.
Given the choice between a commitment to timely system updates or timely security updates, I would choose the latter. However, I honestly don't know what to expect from Motorola now.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Motorola never committed to providing the monthly security patch and disappointingly, they haven't said anything about them until they release them.

My third gen Moto X is on 2016-02-01.
My first gen Verizon Moto G is on 2016-03-01.
My second gen Verizon Moto E is on 2016-04-01.
My first gen Verizon Moto X is now on 2016-04-01.
No ****? I can't believe the og x got a security patch on Verizon. That thing was such a long time coming to even hit lollipop

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Can you share your 10 vs MXPE thoughts?
Maybe a bit off topic, but geez it's dead in here. I checked out a 10 in store and was hugely disappointed although not that surprised by the speaker sound which sounds tinny and distorts at higher volume. Big step down from previous HTC models. I had the 7 and 8 previously. My MXPE sounds drown out and dwarfs the 10's puny sound. Didn't try headphones in store and don't care as I'm not a headphone guy. I saw no reason to change from my MXPE and to go to a carrier branded device anyway is not a very enticing idea to me. I give it thumbs down just for the speaker sound, but that's a big deal to me, hence the reason I'm rocking' an MXPE. YMMV of course.
Camera seemed decent taking an in store shot, no better than my MXPE. Screen also seemed at least as good as MXPE IMO. I didn't try to find any weird color tints at off angle viewing, but dead on straight which is how I look at a screen anyway it was excellent. But overall was certainly not worthy enough to replace my MXPE with it. :)

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you share your 10 vs MXPE thoughts?
Performance wise I can't tell much difference.

Screen, I would give the edge to the MXPE.

Sound over internal speakers, mxpe is louder for sure, 10 has a more full sound. Overall, I'd call it a win for Motorola.

Sound through headphone jack, 10 wins walking away. No contest.

Camera, I prefer the 10. Especially in low light.

UX, is tough to say. The 10 is very lightly skinned so there isn't a lot of difference between the two. Of course there is no substitute for the Moto suite of apps.

Fingerprint scanner. It's really nice to have. Other than size, it's the biggest reason I can see that someone might want to switch.

Value for your dollar, MXPE is still the winner easily.

Forgot battery, the ten is capable of giving me almost double the battery life of my MXPE.

ngc457

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
My wife's S7 on verizon got the April, May and June security patch. It got them within a week of release. This is on Verizon! Disgrace Lenovo won't do the same. I will not get another Moto.

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
My wife's S7 on verizon got the April, May and June security patch. It got them within a week of release. This is on Verizon! Disgrace Lenovo won't do the same. I will not get another Moto.

I sent Lenovo an email a few days ago about this , Still waiting for a reply.