Am I nuts? Seeing new features with no update.

Tom Furlan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I just turned my phone around while on the home screen and the screen orientation changed - icons lined up horizontally to match the screen position. I have always had the auto-rotate feature on, but have NEVER seen this behavior on my home screen. So I looked to see if I received and update, but I haven't. Running 6.0 and last update was Feb.

I kept looking through the settings menus, and now I'm seeing a bunch of stuff i never saw before - Google settings that I didn't have, and "invert display" switch (black background), and a System UI Tuner with a few options I never knew existed.

So, since I've had Android 6.0 since I have owned the phone, why am I just seeing this stuff today all of a sudden? Any ideas? I'm on Verizon.

Thanks, Tom

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
New features can appear due to auto-updates of Google Play Services (which happen in the background), which might explain some of what you see.

BluBrett

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Everything can be explained with an update on your Google Now Launcher, Play Services and such, with an exception to the System UI Tuner, which is enabled and disabled by long-pressing the settings icon in the quick settings pull-down. Easy to accidentally enable.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The auto rotate for the home screen was included in a recent update for the Google app. You can switch it off in the app settings.