Clock, and customized alarm sounds?

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Recently, I seem to have lost the ability to change the alarm sound from the built in Stock sounds. I had all my alarms set to a song, but now I only can see oxygen, argon, etc., the built in sounds. Anyone confirm this on their phone, or know of a fix?
Tried reboot and clearing cache...
TIA

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are your custom alarm files saved in the Alarms directory on Internal Storage? If not, try copying them there.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure that would work, but the alarms used to be able to read any directory, including the SD card and pull a music file for the alarm. Just curious if yours worked that way now, as mine used to do...
Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but I don't have direct experience with your specific device. It's possible that a recent system update (or Google Play Services update) removed the ability to pull sound files from any directory, which would bring it in line with how the Nexus devices work. Personally, I think it makes more sense to have the Alarms, Ringtones, and Notifications directories be specifically for those particular functions.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like your Media Storage app is out of sync... In Settings - Apps, tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner and select Show System. Then scroll down to Media Storage and tap Storage, then Clear Data on that app and reboot. After it's rebooted completely, give it 5 minutes or so to rebuild the media database and try again.

That being said, I always thought alarms sounds needed to be in the /Alarms directory, notification sounds in the /Notifications directory, ringtones in the /Ringtones directory, etc... either on internal or the SD card.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like your Media Storage app is out of sync... In Settings - Apps, tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner and select Show System. Then scroll down to Media Storage and tap Storage, then Clear Data on that app and reboot. After it's rebooted completely, give it 5 minutes or so to rebuild the media database and try again.

That being said, I always thought alarms sounds needed to be in the /Alarms directory, notification sounds in the /Notifications directory, ringtones in the /Ringtones directory, etc... either on internal or the SD card.
Thanks for the idea, but that didn't do it. I'm wondering if there was an update to the clock app that changed this. I'm on version 4.5.2 (3071878)

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the idea, but that didn't do it. I'm wondering if there was an update to the clock app that changed this. I'm on version 4.5.2 (3071878)
I am on the same clock version... I just made a folder on my SD card called Alarms in root and dropped a random MP3 in it, then immediately opened the Clock app, created a new alarm and set the alarm to the MP3 with no issue.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I am on the same clock version... I just made a folder on my SD card called Alarms in root and dropped a random MP3 in it, then immediately opened the Clock app, created a new alarm and set the alarm to the MP3 with no issue.

OK, I'll try that. Are you rooted?

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
No... Pure stock... I meant I created a folder called Alarms on the root of the SD card, not using root.

Just got this phone Thursday to upgrade my Moto G 3rd Gen.

Tried this on mine and still get this:alarmScreenshot_20160725-065738.jpg

Not quite sure what's going on here on mine....
Thanks for the ideas. Not a big deal, just a curiosity. :)

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem with my Android phone.

The only difference is that I DO have a custom alarm sound already set as my alarm sound. I've had that sound for months but would really like to change it now.

I added sound files to the phone's "Alarms" folder but they did not appear in the menu when I tried to change the clock app's sound. (I get the same thing pictured above.). The folder was empty before I put the files in....

I created a new folder named, "My Alarms" on my SD card (like mentioned earlier in the thread) but cannot access any of these sounds from the clock's app.

Can anyone please give me some direction or help? I would greatly appreciate advice.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Update:. I had performed the steps that acejavelin outlined above but nothing changed.

After I made my last post, I performed those steps again and this time they worked! I now have my custom sounds showing in the menu when I select an alarm tone.

Thank you Acejavelin for your post!!

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Update:. I had performed the steps that acejavelin outlined above but nothing changed.

After I made my last post, I performed those steps again and this time they worked! I now have my custom sounds showing in the menu when I select an alarm tone.

Thank you Acejavelin for your post!!
Glad it worked for you... that Media Storage database, and External Storage databases, seem to take a really long time to rebuild on this device, even compared to it's little brother the Moto G 2015.